Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Boxing Thread

Great stuff from Nevin, performance of the week for me.

Ali shuffles always look good. Seeing him gesture the Cuban in when he was on the ropes too was :cool:

I hope Luke Campbell wins his semi next cos Nevin vs Campbell final would be great.

Ogogo took quite a beating there. He was very, very lucky to get that far in the competition to be honest. Campbell, by contrast, looked very good. Looking forward to Nevin and Campbell in the final,

Why is the BBC covering an Irish fighter on BBC1?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ireland box as one nation in amateur boxing - meaning that someone from Northern Ireland wouldn't be able to box for team GB even if they wanted to?? If that is the case I suppose it's a good reason for the BBC to look out for any boxer representing Ireland. And the olympic torch did tour Ireland as well so that's another reason.

I am annoyed not to have seen more olympic boxing, but I like the sound of Nevin (Mullingar man) against the British fighter.

Katie Taylor was up against a cagey fighter, but still didn't look composed to me. I don't much like that BBC commentator either with his annoying background stories on the boxers while he should be talking about what's happening in the ring.

Speaking of fighters who have been greatly assisted by terrible judging, Russo the Italian wrestler who was somehow mistakenly entered into the heavyweight boxing competition has just got another gift decision in the semi final. I hope Usyk decapitates him, because otherwise the useless lump will probably be given Gold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ireland box as one nation in amateur boxing - meaning that someone from Northern Ireland wouldn't be able to box for team GB even if they wanted to?? If that is the case I suppose it's a good reason for the BBC to look out for any boxer representing Ireland. And the olympic torch did tour Ireland as well so that's another reason.

I am annoyed not to have seen more olympic boxing, but I like the sound of Nevin (Mullingar man) against the British fighter.

Katie Taylor was up against a cagey fighter, but still didn't look composed to me. I don't much like that BBC commentator either with his annoying background stories on the boxers while he should be talking about what's happening in the ring.
They chose as their associations were set up before the IOC or the relevant body. Or was that just other sports?

I don't know. It's the same with rugby - Ireland competes as one nation.

As for the boxing tonight I can't believe how sloppy the super heavyweight Cammarelle looked since Beijing. I remember him being sharp and defensively brilliant last time round.

It's the first I've seen of Anthony Joshua and I'm not sure what to make of him. He did seem reluctant for the first two rounds. His opponent, although tall and awkward for him, was not that good - terrible jab for such a tall fighter and put himself off balance all the time.

I had a strong feeling Ogogo would come unstuck versus the Brazilian as he has impressed me in this competition. Great tournament from Ogogo though. Also Ramirez who beat Selby is one of the standout fighters for me since the tournament began, he is class. As good as Selby is, the Cuban is a top fighter and only 18!

3 British fighters through is a great achievement. Looking forward to finals.

It's the first I've seen of Anthony Joshua and I'm not sure what to make of him. He did seem reluctant for the first two rounds. His opponent, although tall and awkward for him, was not that good - terrible jab for such a tall fighter and put himself off balance all the time.
I think he's only been boxing for 3 years, he's too tense and needs to learn to relax his body, time and experience will improve his technique hopefully.

3 British fighters through is a great achievement. Looking forward to finals.
I think Nevin will beat Campbell, I hope so anyway as 2 Gold for the Irish would be great. Evans is up against it with Sapiyev imo, Sapiyev has immense experience on the world stage, but you never know. Joshua should get it, although Cammarelle is the defending Gold medalist I think it's Joshua's to lose.

I predict 1 out of the 3 for the GB lads.

I think he's only been boxing for 3 years, he's too tense and needs to learn to relax his body, time and experience will improve his technique hopefully.

Yeah, I found that out after I posted here. Heavyweight boxing seems to be one sport where you can start late and do OK. Trevor Berbick, and Jameel Mccline off the top of my head. It always worries me when a guy seems too tense about getting caught. You can rationally say it's fair enough for a heavyweight, but it could be a guy who fights scared too often. Maybe I will see something different in him in the final. They said he beat Cammarelle in points in another contest.

I'm really looking forward to the Nevin vs Campbell bout, if Nevin does win I think he's in with a shot for the Val Barker trophy (awarded to the outstanding boxer of each games) cos for me he's boxed brilliantly. Lomachenko got it in Beijing, and although he's in the final tomorrow I don't think he's been as good this time around.

Or, Nicola Adams could be in for a shout too.

If Nevin wins, apparently it will be the first time in 80 years that Ireland have won two gold medals at an Olympics.

and Atlanta 1996

:facepalm:
I guess that's what you get from trusting someone called Ben Dirs (on the BBC text commentary). I guess what he meant to say was it would be the first time that two Irish athletes have won gold at the Olympics since 1932 seeing as the 3 in 1996 were all won by Michelle Smith.

Great performance by Campbell.... another gold!

Falcao, the guy who beat Ogogo is starting in a moment. Worth watching

Back
Top Bottom