Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Commute Ranting Thread

5t3IIa

And so it begins.

Here's the interactive Olympic Route Network map from the BBC. Here's TFL's planning page. Here's the London2012 schedule.

I figure that as I live out in east London, beyond the Park, I will be going in the opposite direction to most spectators during rush hours and on this basis I imagine I won't suffer too much on the tubes. However, I usually get off at Holborn and that's got warnings all over it for Horse Guards Parade events so.... I suppose I'll stay on the District and get off at Temple :hmm:

Anyway. What workarounds will you be employing? Are you furious already? I'm quite sanguine - whatever will be will be but I'm fortunate as I don't have a hugely time/attendance-sensitive job but many do... or a horrible boss, but many do...

Working from home mostly and got a few weeks off during the games.

I've not been annoyed by the commute yet, more with the rest of the crap that comes along with the games - but there are already threads about that.

Working from home mostly and got a few weeks off during the games.

I've not been annoyed by the commute yet, more with the rest of the crap that comes along with the games - but there are already threads about that.

You taking time off on purpose?

I travel from Lewisham Borough to Acton every day. Commute is 12.5 miles and includes Camberwell New Road, Nine Elms Lane, Chealsea Embankment and the A4.

I am basically fucked. I may just get up really early and try and be in work by 8 or earlier each day.

Probably be chaos - I'm preparing by learning the lines - 'Sorry Boss I was delayed due to the Olympics'

I travel from Lewisham Borough to Acton every day. Commute is 12.5 miles and includes Camberwell New Road, Nine Elms Lane, Chealsea Embankment and the A4.

I am basically fucked. I may just get up really early and try and be in work by 8 or earlier each day.

At least you'll get to leave early when the traffic will be ligh....oh wait.

Not really sure how badly I'll be affected in the morning. Maybe not so bad but going home at normal time will probably mean massive waits to get in the tube station. Might change my hours to 11-7 or something for slightly shorter massive waits. I'm away for part of the time.

I'm guessing that my way in - 253/4 Hackney to Camden will be ok as it is away from the Olympics - but coming home in the direction of the Olympics may cause problems - definitely won't drive which I do a couple of days a week -

of course I will tell the boss that the traffic away from the Olympics is really heavy and all the buses are taking ages :cool:

Going south on the north circular towards Ilford on Saturday was almost stationary, followed by flooded roads and ditched cars in Essex for the win.

It's aweful, I had to watch something about the traffic on the tellybox this morning.:(

:D

But I live about 25 miles outside of London, so the actual traffic isn't effecting me at all. And it probably won't as I'm not going anywhere near London for the games.

Now the Zil lanes are opened I haven't noticed any more traffic on my daily commute - I get a bus from Hackney to Camden every morning and traffic seems lighter atm

On my equivalent of a commute route today: Had to walk back from Streatham because buses were being turned at Atkins Rd (because of the Torch relay), and even buses not heading into Brixton were stuck in very slow traffic. Before anyone says I should've gone earlier, this was before noon and the Torch wasn't due through Brixton before 2pm. :mad:

Taking time off, because I usually have done so, this is a great time of year not to work and to be in London! In the meantime, i.e. this week, we have been told not to come in as of yesterday, so been working from home.

Cycling in on Monday/Tuesday I did notice a marked increase in traffic and cyclists (but that's because of the weather I should think)

I can work from home if I wanted, office is going to be dead. Unless tourists link arms preventing me getting through, I shall do as I always do, cycle. I look forward to the total gridlock the changes around the blackwall tunnel will cause, it'll make my journey to work considerably safer.

Just came back from collecting a parcel from down that way, unless everyone stays away, its really gonna be mayhem. There was queuing at 8pm. Was quite exciting to see some of team america zoom past. Lots and lots of traffic down the games lanes.

My whole team -- 8 of us -- are all working at home for these two weeks and the paralympic fortnight too.

My commute would be hell -- Waterloo, Jubilee to Canary Wharf, with frequent DLR trips to and from Bank. All the most waned-about black spots. And my boss commutes along th M11, which is avoid-at-all-costs. So I'm putting my feet up at home and working with the Games on the telly. Hard life!

Little disruption so far.. even my 'get ahead of the games' contingency plan hasn't been put into operation

Back
Top Bottom