Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

old routemasters

for next weekend (7 / 8 December)

Ensign Bus have now published timetables for their thing on Saturday 7 December (note this is not a free service) - more here (they don't usually say in advance what bus is doing what journey)

Timetable for Sunday 8 December operation of 1950s RF type single deckers on route 227 (Bromley - Chiselhurst - Penge - Crystal Palace) is here (opens as PDF) subject to disclaimer that it usually gets loused up by traffic. Also suggestion there will be a couple of double deckers on route 94 (today's 208) between Bromley and Orpington, but absence of timetable for them yet. Also be aware that 1950s RF type buses are really not low floor /easy access...

Saturday 7 December is also event to mark the 14th anniversary of Routemasters leaving route 159, so there will be Routemasters running over route 159, but it's not the sort of thing where buses are 'in service'. More here.

Desperately scraping the barrel here I know; it is still possible to get a ride on a routemaster in town (and I have done this) is to take
a touristy afternoon tea on one, but its sadly more about the tea and the sightseeing tour than the bus :( but they do run regularly and
would need booking. oh, and you looking at about £45 per person.
PS if you have not seen the links elsewhere, the secrets of the museum is well worth watching

I used to call them funny buses as a kid as when we went into London from zone 6, they were unlike the buses we had in the burbs

I used to call them funny buses as a kid as when we went into London from zone 6, they were unlike the buses we had in the burbs

you must be a bit younger than me then...

there were still quite a lot of two-person operated / routemaster routes in the suburbs in to the early 80s, the cull didn't really start until the aftermath of the GLC's 'fares fair' policies being ruled illegal, and then in the late 80s / early 90s, the long routes through to central london got cut back from the outer ends.

round my part of the world, routemasters tended only to do the routes that went through to central london (at that time, the 47 went all the way out to farnborough, the 21 to sidcup and so on) and many of the suburban services had the previous generation of buses (RT type, designed in the late 30s but mostly built late 40s / early 50s) until 1977/ 78 (a small number hung on in the barking area until 1979) -

9204263550_8088f9964c.jpg

and for that matter, there were (green) routemasters in the home counties until about 1980 - many came back to london transport, were refurbished and stayed in service until the early 2000's

2780694237_3cab1cc737.jpg

there were still quite a lot of two-person operated / routemaster routes in the suburbs in to the early 80s, the cull didn't really start until the aftermath of the GLC's 'fares fair' policies being ruled illegal, and then in the late 80s / early 90s, the long routes through to central london got cut back from the outer ends.

round my part of the world, routemasters tended only to do the routes that went through to central london (at that time, the 47 went all the way out to farnborough, the 21 to sidcup and so on) and many of the suburban services had the previous generation of buses (RT type, designed in the late 30s but mostly built late 40s / early 50s) until 1977/ 78 (a small number hung on in the barking area until 1979) -

and for that matter, there were (green) routemasters in the home counties until about 1980 - many came back to london transport, were refurbished and stayed in service until the early 2000's

That one looks like an RMC. We used to get those on the 406 now and again.

Plus a veritable smorgasbord of odd buses on the 418, red ones, green ones, even yellow ones with slidey leather seats on lease from Bournemouth.

yes - the variety new for limited stop 'Green Line' services, complete with comfier seats, luggage racks and doors at the back. London Transport bought most of them back and used them as driver training buses - although a few got refurbished in the late 80s for the 'Beckton Express' before the DLR got extended to Beckton

X15_RMC1490-jp.jpg

Plus a veritable smorgasbord of odd buses on the 418, red ones, green ones, even yellow ones with slidey leather seats on lease from Bournemouth.

The mid 70s were like that. London Country was hived off from London Transport without any central works, spare parts were in short supply, and in much of the home counties, getting maintenance staff wasn't easy either. At one point they had buses on hire from Maidstone and Eastbourne running in the Dartford patch.

I don’t remember the 47 but presumably it lives on in the N47 which I’ve taken on a few occasions. Sometimes getting off for a tactical chunder before getting the next one an hour later.

Sadly, the guy who owned the Routemaster I mentioned upthread as doing a circular / park'n'ride route during special events sold the bus a a few years ago, although it continued to appear and CB still drove it ...
Even more sadly, CB died suddenly in 2020 (not from covid, but cancer, if I have my facts right).

Since then, I have found another one to admire ...

bal - ALM 598 par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

yes - the variety new for limited stop 'Green Line' services, complete with comfier seats, luggage racks and doors at the back. London Transport bought most of them back and used them as driver training buses - although a few got refurbished in the late 80s for the 'Beckton Express' before the DLR got extended to Beckton

X15_RMC1490-jp.jpg

The mid 70s were like that. London Country was hived off from London Transport without any central works, spare parts were in short supply, and in much of the home counties, getting maintenance staff wasn't easy either. At one point they had buses on hire from Maidstone and Eastbourne running in the Dartford patch.
Dammit - that's the same SOB that was in Wales [the owner sold it and sadly he died last year]

One of the Bournemouth interlopers:
Screenshot 2021-08-01 155351.png

From my recollection, we got them in the winter, then they all buggered off back to Bournemouth for the summer traffic, before returning afterwards.

I think that shot is just approaching Surbiton Station from the Kingston direction.

I don’t remember the 47 but presumably it lives on in the N47 which I’ve taken on a few occasions.

47 still exists, it's been shoreditch - catford (bus garage) for quite a few years now. it got cut back from farnborough to bromley common in 1982, downham in 1985 and catford garage in 1988

From my recollection, we got them in the winter, then they all buggered off back to Bournemouth for the summer traffic, before returning afterwards.

a few corporation operators did quite a lot of business hiring out buses in the 70s, southend buses were quite well travelled (they turned up in croydon and harlow at different points) as well.

the winter thing makes sense. this year, bournemouth are borrowing buses from reading (who need fewer buses over the school holidays) for the summer

a few coming events in the south east (info from LOTS) -

Sunday 05 September: 70 years of the RF’ Running Day at Epping Ongar Railway, North Weald. Normal bus 339 from Epping Station, feeder bus 718 at 10am from Chingford Station. More here. Note that this type of bus is very much not 'easy access' - underfloor engine design leads to 2 steepish steps and a narrow entrance.

Saturday 11 September:
Metroline open day at Alperton Garage, marking the closure the night before of this fine 1939 brick-built garage; vehicle displays, special bus services, trade stands (also provisionally a few buses running, but on owners / guests basis, on Friday 10 September.)

Sunday 12 September:
King Alfred Running Day from Winchester Broadway. (Also a static display Sat.11 Sep) - there may be a few other small scale things round the country as part of Heritage Open Day weekends.

Sunday 3 October:
Chesham Country Buses Running Day from Chesham Broadway

Saturday 09 October:
London Bus Museum’s Route 93 Running Day between Putney Heath and Dorking. this will be a combination of free public service along most of the current 93 (excluding the congested Putney High Street section) plus the historic route to Epsom and Dorking.

Sunday 10 October: South East Bus Festival, Detling, Kent Showground.

Sunday 24 October:
Transportfest at London Bus Museum, Brooklands.

Saturday 30 October:
Stagecoach Plumstead Garage, 40th anniversary Open Day.

Sunday 7 November:
Muswell Hill Running Day on former routes, e.g. RTs on 212 express, 244, 251A, RM on 134A, RF on main 212.

As ever, more info nearer the time, and all subject to any changes to lockdown rules etc. Where I haven't put a link, there's no further info yet.

Muswell Hill area event Sunday 7 November

Not really sure who is organising it, there isn't a website, but there is a leaflet with map / timetable (opens as PDF) here

Mix of Routemaster and previous generation of double and single deck buses, all operating as free service.

recently been announced that there will be a single 'RT' (double deck bus of generation before Routemasters) doing a journey from Pimlico / Victoria to the event in the morning and back (the 134 used to do that) -

RT 4779 is to make a longer134 journey from Pimlico (Dolphin Square) 0950, Victoria Wilton Road 0957, Warren Street 1024, Archway 1047, Muswell Hil Bdy 1100, then to Friern Barnet 1110. Return from Friern Barnet 1602 , Muswell Hill Bdy 1614 back to Victoria.

Not sure what covid related restrictions there may be on capacity. Usual disclaimers apply, and gentle reminder that these buses were not designed with wheelchair / pushchair access in mind.

Also, further ahead, Ensign Bus of Purfleet are bringing their December event back - on Saturday 4 December, network of routes based on Lakeside shopping centre, more here. Note that the buses involved here are fully licensed as buses, and it's £ 10 for a day pass, and as it's a one-off special service, concessionary passes are not valid.

Also, this year marks 15 years since Routemasters stopped running on route 159.

There is a road run planned by the Routemaster Owners Association for Saturday 11 December, usually starts at the north london end some time mid morning, then runs from West Hampstead through to Thornton Heath via Brixton, then back, but this is not usually the sort of thing where buses will stop for passengers on the way, it's a jolly for owners and their guests.

Saturday 20 November

Metroline's pet Routemaster will be running on route 43, Muswell Hill Broadway - Angel, Islington, voluntary donations for Children in Need

1000, 1144, 1357 from Muswell Hill to Angel (and 1600 to Archway only)

1042, 1238 , 1454 from Angel

Further reminder for Saturday 4 December - Ensign Bus event, based on Lakeside shopping centre, with services to Gravesend, Upminster, Brentwood, Shenfield. More here.

Provisional info for Sunday 12 December - small scale event in Bromley, 1950s single deckers running on route 227 Bromley - Penge / Crystal Palace, and double deckers on route 94 (today's 208) probably Bromley - Orpington. Not quite sure just how many buses involved or what times, and there's no more information in public yet. Some years they have tended to run as traffic allows rather than trying to keep to a timetable...

Still no public timetable for tomorrow's thing in Bromley - in some past years they have struggled to run on time, and TFL won't allow their buses to wait at the Bromley end of the route, so there's no chance to make up for late running, so sounds like it will be 'as and when'

one (even more small scale) for next weekend - Saturday 18 December - to mark their taking over some local routes in Guildford as Arriva are pulling out of the area, Safeguard coaches will be running their pet 1950s AEC Reliance single decker on their local network for the day (it's fully licensed so fares apply) - more here.

There will be a special service on Christmas Day on route 430 between Putney Bridge and Roehampton with two 'RT' buses.

More here

A bit further away, Friends of King Alfred Buses will be running a (by their standards) small scale event in Winchester on Bank Holiday Monday 3 January - expecting about 6 buses in service (their big event has moved to May) - timetables not yet out, and all subject to covid related disclaimers.

There will be a special service on Christmas Day on route 430 between Putney Bridge and Roehampton with two 'RT' buses.

More here

A bit further away, Friends of King Alfred Buses will be running a (by their standards) small scale event in Winchester on Bank Holiday Monday 3 January - expecting about 6 buses in service (their big event has moved to May) - timetables not yet out, and all subject to covid related disclaimers.

More here

They seem to be using Routemasters to bridge the gap which still exists between the Nottingham and the Leicester sections of the Great Central heritage lines.They are a regular and magnificent sight in Loughborough each weekend .What a good idea that was

They seem to be using Routemasters to bridge the gap which still exists between the Nottingham and the Leicester sections of the Great Central heritage lines.They are a regular and magnificent sight in Loughborough each weekend .What a good idea that was

:)

the west somerset railway did similar for a chunk of this year, as they couldn't get trains to minehead (the level crossing just south of Minehead Station had to be rebuilt) - although there was a modern-ish bus as well to provide a low floor / wheelchair accessible alternative

London Bus Museum (Brooklands) have put their event dates (subject to the usual implied covid related disclaimers) for 2022 out -

Saturday 26 March - running day on route 101 (North Woolwich - Wanstead)

Sundays 10 April, 26 June and 23 October - big events at Brooklands

Sunday 12 June - running day on route 81 (Hounslow - Slough / Windsor)

Another date for 2022 -

Saturday 1 October - RT buses on route 37 (Peckham - Brixton - Putney)

Putney garage was one of the first to get an allocation of RT buses in late 1939 (not many got delivered before production got shut down because of the war - photo from more recent times...)

13834742803_34d2e1032c_w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom