Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

old routemasters

Puddy_Tat in case you missed it, on now Secrets of the Transport Museum • episode 6. season 2. • TvProfil
The Comforts have two routemasters and a very rare green line AEC Merlin.

thanks - i haven't bothered to watch much of that - seemed to be mainly planes and sports cars

I was looking at getting a routemaster experience for Mrs Tag last night :eek:

kinell at the price

not sure i spent that much doing my PCV training... (although that was a few years ago now)

Another call for this Saturday's event on east london route 101 (North Woolwich - East Ham - Wanstead)

36 buses expected and buses about every 3 minutes on the manor park - cyprus bit in the middle of the route.

The surviving wartime 'utility' Guy Arab is expected (route 101 was the last London route to have these in service)

More here

thanks - i haven't bothered to watch much of that - seemed to be mainly planes and sports cars

kinell at the price

not sure i spent that much doing my PCV training... (although that was a few years ago now)
It's not all buses on Secrets. There was one episode that featured them .

a first selection of photos from today

g351-1.jpg

1945 Guy 'utility' bus at North Woolwich Police Station

(the 'utility' design was fairly basic, designed to require a minimum of materials and a minimum of skilled labour during the 1939-45 war) - London Transport got rid of most of theirs in the early 50s when there were plenty of new buses. Most got new bodywork with their second owners, this one ran in Burton on Trent until the late 60s.

rt-3933-wanstead.jpg

1950 standard 'RT' type at Wanstead

herding.jpg

Newham Council gardener herding bus photographers at Cyprus

traffic.jpg

traffic jam round Beckton

a few coming events -

Saturday 11 June - open day at Stockwell Bus Garage. More here - includes tours of the building, but does not sounds like any buses are giving rides.

Sunday 12 June - bus running day on route 81 (Hounslow - Slough - Windsor) with a few journeys on 237 (Shepherds Bush - Hounslow.) More here. About 30 buses expected, about half will be 1950s - 60s (Routemasters and previous generation), others will be more modern (1970s onwards) - most intensive service from Colnbrook / Langley - Slough (LEZ rules apply inside the M25 - some buses are old enough to qualify for the 'historic vehicle' exemption, some aren't.)

Sunday 19 June - bus running day round Elstree / Borehamwood. More here.

Sunday 26 June - summer event at London Bus Museum, Brooklands - more here.

also open day event at Reading Buses' depot. Details not yet on the web.

Do you ever get involved in Imberbus? I’m considering visiting this year

never been involved in organising - think it all started as a First London (or was it still CentreWest then?) play-day and grew from there (certain quite senior people have moved on since then, and for that matter so have First Group)

I keep thinking I'll go (as a visitor) one year and for various reasons I haven't quite managed it yet.

Sunday 24 July - event based at Victoria Coach Station, which is 90 years old this year

vintage coaches running Victoria - Hammersmith

1980s London Buses running 'Airbus' Victoria - Hammersmith

RT and Routemaster generation buses running route 11 Victoria - Aldwych

more to follow here. Initial suggestion is every 30 minutes on each, so not a huge number of vehicles involved.

Picnic is bought, ready to be constructed and put in cool bag. A flask of water is chilling in fridge. Sun tan ready to be applied. Hat and shades dug out, several pubs earmarked for dinner afterwards...even Mrs Tag is up for it.

hope you had fun. i really didn't feel up to it.

Advance warning for Saturday 23 July - suggestions of an open day event at Fulwell bus garage (not much on the web yet) in SW London / Middlesex, marking the return of electric vehicles to the site 60 years after it was home to London's last trolleybuses.

That's the RATP / Wellington Road end of the site, not the Stanley Road / Abellio end.

Suggestion of a free service from Twickenham via Fulwell to Hampton Court with assortment of new and not so new buses.

Back
Top Bottom