Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

old routemasters

some of the buses in reading have had high back seats and usb points and wi-fi for some time - these buses started to appear in 2018

img_46-1_30.jpg

(more here)
I like the handrail for those who want to sit on the roof :D

I don't think there's a specific technical term for them - a few firms are doing them now - one example here, another here. it's not very widespread tech yet.

Theory being that the cost of the kit offsets the cost of sending someone round to stick new timetables up now and then, and means you can update a whole swathe of stops in one go, and maybe have alternative display options for 'show current timetable' and 'show timetable that starts next week' - it's always a balance between changing too early / giving notice it's going to change, and question of having the people to do a lot of changes in one go on the day before. i was one of five people who did two days out and about thursday and friday using traditional methods for a patch where a lot of bus services are changing this weekend.
From now, it'll all be a puddy_tat to me.

Round here, they mostly use cuneiform.

the ongoing maintenance costs are possibly against it as well

:)

route 63?

some of the buses in reading have had high back seats and usb points and wi-fi for some time - these buses started to appear in 2018

img_46-1_30.jpg

(more here)
Nostalgia here

Used to live right by the Tuns terminus, over a period of about 10 years for two separate spells. Doubt I’ll ever ride that bus again!

mum-tat remembers it with trolleybuses

Reading_Trolleybus_at_Three_Tuns.jpg
There are some interesting pictures from before she would remember it when the junction was completely different, IIRC this was when what is now the cul de sac bit of whiteknights road was the main entry into what is now the Uni at Earley Gate

Presumably Wilderness road didn’t exist then?

I'm not quite sure I'm with you

The trolleybus in that photo is turning in the junction of Holmes Road, where the 17 bus still turns.

1899 OS map shows Wilderness Road and Whiteknights Road in place - possibly not exactly as they are now
Sorry I meant the Tuns crossroads junction was different. Not the 17 “turning circle”

I’ve seen a picture online a while ago but a quick Google didn’t bring anything up

A single Routemaster (intention is 1964 built RM 2217, the last 'standard' Routemaster built - later ones for London were all one of the longer types) will run on route 137 on Friday 2 December to mark Arriva London's decision to sell off its heritage fleet (Stagecoach are doing similar)

Donations for Royal British Legion invited.

Timetable subject to usual disclaimers

First journey starts at Upper Norwood, Crown Point: 10.00

From Streatham Hill, Telford Avenue: 10.14 12.35 15.42 to Marble Arch (arrive 11.06 13.27 16.36)

From Marble Arch: 11.22 13.48 16.55 to Streatham Hill Telford Avenue (arrive 12.13 14.42 17.53 - last journey continues to Norwood Crown Point, arr 18.10)

(ETA - Initially posted as 3 December. Checked and it is Friday 2 December.)

Last edited:
A single Routemaster (intention is 1964 built RM 2217, the last 'standard' Routemaster built - later ones for London were all one of the longer types) will run on route 137 on Friday 3 December to mark Arriva London's decision to sell off its heritage fleet (Stagecoach are doing similar)

Donations for Royal British Legion invited.

Timetable subject to usual disclaimers

First journey starts at Upper Norwood, Crown Point: 10.00

From Streatham Hill, Telford Avenue: 10.14 12.35 15.42 to Marble Arch (arrive 11.06 13.27 16.36)

From Marble Arch: 11.22 13.48 16.55 to Streatham Hill Telford Avenue (arrive 12.13 14.42 17.53 - last journey continues to Norwood Crown Point, arr 18.10)
According to my calendar, 3 Dec is a Saturday...

and having checked the dates...

(This) Sunday 20 November event based on Hendon - updated timetable (opens as PDF) here - vehicle details are a bit vague, but it's reported that most routes will be RT or Routemaster generation, except the 'N59' which will be 1980s Metrobuses.

Saturday 3 December is Ensignbus' usual running day, based on Lakeside (Thurrock) shopping centre, timetables / routes are now confirmed, usual sort of combination - routes to Shenfield / Brentwood (via Upminster, passes the station), Tilbury, Hornchurch, Gravesend via Dartford crossing.

More here. There were reports circulating that the event had been cancelled - this is not the case.

They tend not to give vehicle details in advance, but timetables suggest 18 buses + in service, usually includes buses from the 1930s to 1980s, and usually a few rarities just doing short trips round Lakeside car park.

Although note that they are a fully licensed bus operator, so it is not a free event - day ticket is £ 10 a go, and concessionary passes are not valid as it's a special service.

Usual disclaimers about buses being step entrance and not pushchair friendly apply to both.

This is going to be a bit shit, isn't it Puddy_Tat ?

Do any of the preservation societies have anything like the resources to buy/store/service so many old buses?

i can't see any one group taking the whole lot on, but don't think they are selling them as a job lot

there is a risk some will get exported or turned in to mobile bars or that sort of thing - don't know if they are being selective about buyers or just going for highest bid

This Sunday 18 December - annual pre-Christmas Bromley event

mainly route 227 (Bromley - Penge / Crystal Palace) mostly involving 1950s single deck RF type buses.

Also this year including some running as Green Line 725 Chislehurst - Bromley - Beckenham (again, 1950s RFs)

and a couple of double deckers (one 1950 RT, one Routemaster) on route 94, Petts Wood - Bromley - Grove Park.

No website, just a farcebook page, but timetables are on there.

Free service - and usual disclaimers about the buses not being very user-friendly, the 1950s RF single deckers have an underfloor engine, so fairly steep steps to get on.

16187413612_5a0918d8ea.jpg

This Sunday 18 December - annual pre-Christmas Bromley event

mainly route 227 (Bromley - Penge / Crystal Palace) mostly involving 1950s single deck RF type buses.

Also this year including some running as Green Line 725 Chislehurst - Bromley - Beckenham (again, 1950s RFs)

and a couple of double deckers (one 1950 RT, one Routemaster) on route 94, Petts Wood - Bromley - Grove Park.

No website, just a farcebook page, but timetables are on there.

Free service - and usual disclaimers about the buses not being very user-friendly, the 1950s RF single deckers have an underfloor engine, so fairly steep steps to get on.

16187413612_5a0918d8ea.jpg
my favourite bus route! might jump on

227.png

Some coming events in the sunny south east...

Saturday 25 March: Romford Running Day on routes 174/175, organised by the London Bus Museum. More here. Looks like up to 30 buses involved, buses every 10 minutes or better Dagenham - Romford - Chase Cross.

Saturday 1 April: South East Bus Festival at Detling, Kent. More here. Usually involves some buses doing rides round the show site.

Sunday 2 April: Running Day based at High Wycombe Bus Station. More here.

Sunday 16 April: London Bus Museum Spring Gathering at Brooklands. More here.

Saturday 22 April
: Open Day at Stagecoach's Romford North Street Garage, proceeds to Macmillan fundraising. No other info yet, but will probably involve a few buses out and about locally.

Sunday 11 June : Running Day on routes 65/71 (Ealing - Kingston - Leatherhead) organised by London Bus Museum. More here (not much info yet)

:hmm: ?

at the risk of stating the obvious, it's a trolleybus (hence the electric string in the sky) - i can't quite place the location

london had something like 1,500 of them, but broadly, north london got them first (south london's trams would all have been replaced by trolleybuses by about 1943/4 if the 'international situation' hadn't buggered the plans up) - trolleybuses then got replaced with diesel buses between 1959 - 62

a few S London routes got trolleybuses earlier than the main plan, because either the trams or track or both were really shagged out in some areas - like a couple of routes round bexleyheath, and the 654 (sutton - croydon - crystal palace, now bits of 154 and 157 bus routes. more here.)

the 654 ran from former tram depot in westmead road, now access storage (it ran buses for a few years but closed in the early 60s as there was enough room at other bus garages.)

:hmm: ?

at the risk of stating the obvious, it's a trolleybus (hence the electric string in the sky) - i can't quite place the location

london had something like 1,500 of them, but broadly, north london got them first (south london's trams would all have been replaced by trolleybuses by about 1943/4 if the 'international situation' hadn't buggered the plans up) - trolleybuses then got replaced with diesel buses between 1959 - 62

a few S London routes got trolleybuses earlier than the main plan, because either the trams or track or both were really shagged out in some areas - like a couple of routes round bexleyheath, and the 654 (sutton - croydon - crystal palace, now bits of 154 and 157 bus routes. more here.)

the 654 ran from former tram depot in westmead road, now access storage (it ran buses for a few years but closed in the early 60s as there was enough room at other bus garages.)
I grew up in the Royal Borough of Kingston, and even now there are these odd, rusty poles around the place which I learned quite recently were trolleybus power cable poles.

This is one, next to a (non-trolley) bus, in New Malden.

1678367781190.png

I grew up in the Royal Borough of Kingston, and even now there are these odd, rusty poles around the place which I learned quite recently were trolleybus power cable poles.

This is one, next to a (non-trolley) bus, in New Malden.

didn't realise there were any left.

quite a lot got retained as street lights in some of the east london boroughs, and were still there in the mid 80s

for that matter, likewise on anerley hill

Possibly it's the road from Elmer's End up to Palace by the cemetery. I only came across that pic as I was looking for a pub on Google maps around there...near Birckbeck tram stop

Possibly crystal palace parade? It looks a good wide road.
According to David Bradley Online - London Trolleybus on Route 654 at the "Robin Hood"

It's here:

Which I think checks out. In 1947 there was a park on this corner

There is still a fragment of the concrete wall outside the new housing at Trinity Mews.

Back
Top Bottom