Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ocean treaty: Historic agreement

It took 10 years in the making but now it should be possible to protect vast swathes of ocean from over fishing, mining and shipping.

This has to be a good thing for the planet, now we just have to see the countries enforcing it.
All I can say is good luck with trying to enforce it and who would be charge of protecting the oceans?

I think the idea is that various countries take responsibility for sections of it.
Oh ok but how will they do that if some parts of the oceans dont come under any country boundaries like the Pacific which is the biggest ocean and hardly any countries in sections?

Oh ok but how will they do that if some parts of the oceans dont come under any country boundaries like the Pacific which is the biggest ocean and hardly any countries in sections?
I don't know, cleverer people than me are responsible for this :)

The full text of the treaty is not yet published as far as I can tell but there will be little surprise if it turns out there are no mechanisms for enforcing the treaty, that it's non-binding anyway, and that the US and China do not comply (and probs Japan too)

Back
Top Bottom