Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Was it inevitable? A short history of Russia’s war on Ukraine

Be pu
It's understandable that the main thread focuses on the actual day to day events of the invasion.

If the sub threads discussing other aspects are little read, that suggests that either many people aren't so interested in the other aspects, or that those creating and contributing to the sub threads aren't doing so in a way which encourages others to read and make their own contributions (or maybe a bit of both).

If you're genuinely interested in a discussion about, I'm still left wondering why you've chose to start this particular thread, rather than contribute to the already existing one here

The long term causes of war in Ukraine

Wonder away then, but editor has addressed this already.

Maybe he will bow to popular pressure and trundle it into that thread.

Why not just read the article? It's just a fucking article in a newspaper (it doesn't matter in which one it appeared), the views to be accepted or not.

It is written, in an highly nuanced way, by somebody who knows more than me or you, or anybody else on here, about the background to what's happening.

And is Putin's regime the only one to think it acceptable to bomb civilians? Where has this bizarre thinking come from?

Here's the bad news: for centuries civilians have been targets in major (and minor) wars. It is something that accelerated as the means of waging war advanced technologically. They will be targets in the future. All over the world. We have no control over this.
the thing with bombing civilians is, the americans do it better - everything (bar as far as i know bombing an art school) the russians have done the americans did in iraq or afghanistan 20 years ago. american massacres of civilians of course hardly unknown in iraq and afghanistan - or pakistan. but the difference is 'we' like america rather more than 'we' like the russians so the smallest incident which shows the russians in a bad light is given prominence far greater than was ever given to the americans' similar crimes. the reporting of the current war is one in which we're blinded by detail, by small and tactically, operationally, and strategically insignificant information which (for me at least) prevents the greater picture being seen. it's as though everyone who suffered in the blitz had their stories in the newspapers, it overwhelms without illumination.

Back
Top Bottom