Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Occupy Wall Street

keep an eye out for atlanta.. might get a bit heavy there in a bit....
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/occupy-atlanta-ordered-to-1207805.html

Around 5 pm., Reed was huddling with aides and Atlanta police inside a mobile communications unit near Woodruff Park, where Occupy Atlanta protesters have camped for several weeks, vowing not to leave the area. He was later seen leaving the mobile unit, but would not comment.
Occupy Atlanta leader Tim Franzen said he and local civil rights leader Joe Beasley met with Reed in the mobile unit around 3:30 p.m. and the mayor, visibly angry, ordered the group to clear the park Saturday or face charges.
Reed had extended an executive order this week, allowing Occupy Atlanta to remain in Woodruff Park until Nov. 7. Franzen said the mayor did not address that extension, nor did he provide a specific time to vacate Saturday.
“We are here until the civic problems that brought us here are changed,” Franzen vowed. “I wish he would be more angry about the civic reasons why we are here.”
Possibly adding to tensions, around 7 p.m., marchers in the Downtown area protesting against alleged police brutality, made their way toward Woodruff Park and the area near Occupy Atlanta protesters and the police mobile unit near Auburn Avenue and Park Place.
The protesters with the “October 22nd Coalition to Stop Police Brutality, Repression and the Criminalization of a Generation” had been in the downtown area nearly all day but had not been connected with the Occupy Atlanta event.
Atlanta police officers and firefighters watched nearby as the 80 to 100 protesters blocked Auburn Avenue, chanting, “No Justice! No peace!” and “Whose park? Our park!”
Efforts were continuing Saturday to reach the mayor or representatives from his office for comment.

'The world is so fucked up
People don’t seem to care anymore

People seem to have distanced themselves from other people’s problems, they have been programmed not to care!
Politicians are corrupt...So many companies are corrupt and taking excessive profits in certain sectors.......and we keep allowing this shit to happen
... There are 1 billion plus people living in extreme poverty. You know what that is? You don’t know if your getting your next meal, no shelter, no medical. You have no chance of hustling your way out of it!
We have been programmed to not give a shit about these people!

'Well I have woken up and Im not turning a blind eye anymore!

Im not playing the game anymore. Our Company CEO’s and politicians want us to keep our heads down and not ask questions. Not demand the truth
they don’t want us to care, they have trained us to turn a blind eye!
Because they control us and profit from us this way!
to push back at them questions and threatens their lifestyles.

Children are dying everyday from hunger. Its fucked up, its wrong and I am angry
Im not going to shut up or give up – fuck the system, its wrong.
wake up we are being used!

Innocent children are dying each day.... we need to shout out to companies, politicians that we aren't playing their games anymore
We are waking up to their lies and deceitful dealings

Im angry, Im going to make a difference and no one is going to stop me
Join me if your tired of being used and manipulated
Make this world fair for everyone

50 Cent'

Has 5O Cents seen the light?

Lets hope others live up to the legacy:, Marvin Gaye, Gil Scott Heron, the last Poets, etc bequeathed many of these rappers who up to now have just cared for Mammon...

40000 comments!

As Gill Scott Heron said (popularised through the Kanye West song, Lost in the World on the Beautiful Twisted Fantasy album):

Us living as we do upside down.
And the new word to have is revolution.
People don’t even want to hear the preacher spill or spiel
because God’s whole card has been thoroughly piqued.
And America is now blood and tears instead of milk and honey.
The youngsters who were programmed to continue fucking up
woke up one night digging Paul Revere and Nat Turner as the good guys.
America stripped for bed and we had not all yet closed our eyes.
The signs of Truth were tattooed across our open ended vagina.
We learned to our amazement untold tale of scandal.
Two long centuries buried in the musty vault, hosed down daily with a gagging perfume.

America was a bastard the illegitimate daughter of the mother country whose legs were then spread around the world and a rapist known as freedom, free doom.

Democracy, liberty, and justice were revolutionary code names that preceded the bubbling bubbling bubbling bubbling bubbling in the mother country’s crotch

What does Webster say about soul?
All I want is a good home and a wife
and a children and some food to feed them every night.
After all is said and done build a new route to China if they’ll have you.

Who will survive in America?

I have many faults but not being well read isn't one of them. You are ranting and getting yourself into a rage because you have just been totally annihilated on this thread and made to look like a total prat. I'd give up before you make it worse. I'm laughing at you now

You'll have no trouble finding an example then. You can use your mighty reading comprehension skills if you like.

I am a limp-dicked adolescent keyboard warrior and I don't like anyone polluting my 'saving the world' fantasy games with questions.

Well, I knew you'd get some perpective eventually, it always begins with admitting you have a problem. ;)

I am a limp-dicked adolescent keyboard warrior and I don't like anyone polluting my 'saving the world' fantasy games with questions.
Well, I knew you'd get some perpective eventually, it always begins with admitting you have a problem. ;)

I know who the first kind of people I want excluded before Im 'fully onboard' are.

I sing very loudly in the shower and the neighbours always complain but my singing is never as loud as their TV and I never complain about that

enhanced-buzz-32470-1300477879-32.jpg

If I concede that that was actually quite funny would you address one of the points I've made so far directly. There are a few to choose from - you don't have to pick any of these but just as examples:

i) That any movement credibly threatening the rule of the 1% would not seem to be very likely to have members of that very 1% popping round to pat Emily and Tarquin on the head.

ii) That many in this 'movement' would directly oppose some of the demands of MLK's PPC (full production and high economic growth being the most obvious, but by no means the only one).

iii) That it doesn't even seem to have the coherence of a 'movement' yet, so the moral imperative to support some protesters who have many, many aims, some of which I happen to agree with would seem weak. I think a 'watch and wait' policy at this stage seems fair enough.

iv) That maybe being able to get people on side who are already on your side might be a good thing if you think this movement can gain the potential to credibly oppose people who will vehemently (and potentially violently) disagree with you.

Now, also try to remember that if you don't understand any of the points above it doesn't automatically mean you've 'won the argument', but feel free to ask if you want anything clarifying.

I really don't think I can be any fairer than that. :)

i) That any movement credibly threatening the rule of the 1% would not seem to be very likely to have members of that very 1% popping round to pat Emily and Tarquin on the head.

Frederick Engels owned several factories and social movement like this have always drawn some from the ruling class who identify with the movement for intellectual or moral reasons. Nevertheless I understand your point. We will see if those who this movement opposes are still patting people on the head if it grows into a real threat to their interests. The likes of Fox news etc in the states are not patting anyone on the head, in fact by their reaction it appears they are quite uncomfortable with what is happening hence the pretty rabid smear campaign which I am sure is only going to get worse.

ii) That many in this 'movement' would directly oppose some of the demands of MLK's PPC (full production and high economic growth being the most obvious, but by no means the only one).

I entirely agree. In fact I have spent the last week arguing with many people whose views I completely disagree with, Nevertheless I think this movement is striking a chord with a wide section of people for reasons that I broadly agree and understand, Namely a widespread belief that we are being made to pay for an economic crisis which we did not cause while those who did are getting richer and perhaps more importantly that there is something structurally wrong with an economic system which seems to run for the benefit of a tiny elite at the expense of the rest of us. This, however confused and contradictory peoples explanations for it, is indicative of a growing demand for economic and social justice and I think it is broadly shared by those who are joining this movement. I think that is a good thing and something that deserves our support and good will

That maybe being able to get people on side who are already on your side might be a good thing if you think this movement can gain the potential to credibly oppose people who will vehemently (and potentially violently) disagree with you.

Sure. I agree with you. Perhaps you could expand on what you mean and who you have in mind when you say "get people on side who are already on side."

FWIW. I think there is a lot wrong with this movement. A lot that if it were my show I would perhaps do differently but, as I have said before, it is what it is, it is a genuine social movement and a sociological phenomenon and a powerful indication of the sorry state we are in. A movement that in some cases has proved to be very significant (spain, Italy for example). It has potential and as someone who broadly agrees with the feelings of those who are joining it, I have to give it my support. Where it will lead, if anywhere is yet to be seen.

I really don't think I can be any fairer than that. :)
No you can't and I'm glad you found my last post amusing. I have been waiting to use that very odd picture for ages :)

Thanks for responding to all those points in one go - I've attempted to respond to each of your points in turn - where I've incompletely quoted it's to flag up which paragraph I was responding to rather than to misrepresent (I still contend that I haven't misprepresented any of your posts prior to the obvious blatant making up of quotes btw). If you think I've left anything important out that changes the meaning or makes my responses look like they're trying to twist meanings, just say.

So, taking your points in turn (not that fully, admittedly, but I'm a little short of time at the moment - you should get the gist, though):

Frederick Engels owned several factories and social movement like this have always drawn some from the ruling class who identify with the movement for intellectual or moral reasons.

I know people with wealth could be perfectly honestly on the side of this movement for their own reasons (Kropotkin being my usual example), but when talking about those from the 1% making favourable noises about the movement, showing up to chat etc. I was thinking more about examples like Barack Obama, whose betrayal this movement is to some extent a response to, I think. This is about trying to get some votes for his second term, despite everything he has done.

The likes of Fox news etc in the states are not patting anyone on the head, in fact by their reaction it appears they are quite uncomfortable with what is happening hence the pretty rabid smear campaign which I am sure is only going to get worse.

Fox News are pretty rabid about everything, though - I'm not sure their tantrums mean Corporate America is really rattled.
I entirely agree. In fact I have spent the last week arguing with many people whose views I completely disagree with, Nevertheless I think this movement is striking a chord with a wide section of people for reasons that I broadly agree and understand....

I broadly agree with the aims too, but I think this movement is very different at this stage to MLK's PPC and attempting to claim postcorporeal support at this stage is both premature and prone to backfiring.

Sure. I agree with you. Perhaps you could expand on what you mean and who you have in mind when you say "get people on side who are already on side."

I was partly thinking how my saying something that may have sounded vaguely like some of the standard right-wing dismissals got me roundly jumped on. I'm a little torn on the question of how broad and how narrow the focus should be, to be honest. Loads of people are 'on side' in terms of the basic aims of the movement but can be put off by many things that come with 'protester movements'. On the other hand, I think being too open to just about every bugbear anyone has can lead to the presence of conspiraloons in the movement who give an easy ride to those wishing to discredit it.

By the way, on the subject of my previous posts about 'incoherence' (I saw a 'statement of intent' that got released today (I saw it today, it was not necessarily released today), and aside from a confusing reference to corporations 'poisoning the food supply' I think I agreed with pretty much everything that was said. Pretty much.

It was very long, though, and I think at this stage a kind of focus of what the movement wants achieving first is important, while being careful not to deviate too far from the central message.

FWIW. I think there is a lot wrong with this movement. A lot that if it were my show I would perhaps do differently but, as I have said before, it is what it is, it is a genuine social movement and a sociological phenomenon and a powerful indication of the sorry state we are in. A movement that in some cases has proved to be very significant (spain, Italy for example). It has potential and as someone who broadly agrees with the feelings of those who are joining it, I have to give it my support. Where it will lead, if anywhere is yet to be seen.

So after all that Argy Bargy you have misgivings too? I agree that it has potential, but potential doesn't always go where you want it to.

It does feel like it's perhaps 'the only game in town' at the moment, but there's a limit to what I'm willing to forgive on that basis alone.
For example, Tony Blair's first Labour government was 'the only game in town' when very early on it began to look like things were going somewhat awry. We were of course were continually reassured that all was on course and that certain 'anomalies' were really concession that were down to the demands of realpolitik.

Depressing isn't it? And Im sick of my long rants about this sort of shit, need concise effective propaganda to deal with the pyramid-obsessed.

Back
Top Bottom