Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Occupy Wall Street

Of course I am still in the UK, just as you are georgraphically still in the US...and?

Now where is your post/s defining/describing people who are supposedly 'white trash' and your reasons for no longer using such terms?

You're mentally in the UK. That's the problem. For some reason people in the UK don't think they need to move. ;) In fact, people from the UK know more about other people's countries than the people who live there. It's unusual that they respect other people's opinions and listen.

Remember the guy that told me about how popular soccer was here..despite my input to the contrary? <---that type thing. I like 'people of walmart' better because 'white trash' is worn out.:D That's why.

'Just wanna say that I find the description 'white trash' really nasty. It appears that there is the same habit of demonising the working/lower classes (poor) in the states too, no surprise of course but....For me it is just like saying 'chavs' or 'feral underclass', nasty, condscending bollocks. :facepalm:'

Er, I would never describe anyone like that, i was being ironic about the notion of all the working class T/P members being 'thick as shit' as AKA so patronisingly put it, white trash is always a prejorative term..

You're mentally in the UK. That's the problem. For some reason people in the UK don't think they need to move. ;) In fact, people from the UK know more about other people's countries than the people who live there. It's unusual that they respect other people's opinions and listen.Remember the guy that told me about how popular soccer was here..despite my input to the contrary? <---that type thing. I like 'people of walmart' better because 'white trash' is worn out.:D That's why.

Yep, we are all the same here, no differences whatsoever! :facepalm:

...and where is you post describing why you used to use the term 'white trash' and now use 'people of walmart? :)

Hilarious that you are accusing me of not listening but are obviously reluctant to actually say anything/answer the questions asked. :D

No, i mean yahoo 'blocking' emails with certain words. (Yahoo don't run twitter either). the habitual and casual inflation of claims i mentioned earlier. Stop it. (not you aka)

not totally sure but not seen it trending on twitter when i have changed the area to New York a few times
did it earlier and still nothing
Brooklyn bridge was trending when that happened last week tho

No, i mean yahoo 'blocking' emails with certain words. (Yahoo don't run twitter either). the habitual and casual inflation of claims i mentioned earlier. Stop it. (not you aka)

there is an update on that link claiming it was an oversight/spam filter
http://100gf.wordpress.com/2011/09/...t-block-says-automatic-spam-filters-to-blame/
Yahoo has fixed the ‘automatic spam filter’ problem that caused emails with Occupy Wall Street and occupywallstreet.org in the body to beblocked as ‘suspicious’. On Twitter, Yahoo noted that the block was unintentional and has now been resolved, but that there might be some residual delays as the fix propagates through the system.

not totally sure but not seen it trending on twitter when i have changed the area to New York a few times
did it earlier and still nothing
Brooklyn bridge was trending when that happened last week tho

Never any evidence of twitter blocking anything - that's my point. There was a claim 3 weeks ago about yahoo blocking the use of a hashtag and it was sorted out. If it had carried on we would know about it. Then today we get it again as if it's happening right now. The habitual and casual inflation of claims leads to people believing in these inflated claims. It helps no one at all.

Here's some posters and stickers Mula Print + IWW 450 (graphics and print union) have produced which are currently winging their way over to NYC

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Well, considering your earlier response I am a bit disappointed with this one ^^^^^, where you have seemingly dug your heels in and gotten defensive like DM. It seems you want to complicate a very straight forward thing.

You said above ( in your first response) that you were not about to be using the term 'white trash' often, which told me loud and clear that your understood my objection to it. I have not used UK 'class' definitions to take a dislike to the term 'white trash' I have used much more superior/natural/human feeling/thinking. Behave like a nasty, condescending snob and i'll observe that fact. In short, you can dress it up all you (not you specifically) like.

Wow, what a way to completely misunderstand every post I and others have made on this thread. I'm sorry you were offended, but I think you're being offended out of misunderstanding and not truth.

I used the term "white trash" to criticize some of the nasty demeaning stereotypes that some posters were defaulting to in their understanding of the agenda of the Tea Party. I was using the term ironically, as was the other poster who used it. I'm surprised that I have to explain that on a forum populated by people who claim a monopoly on it.

My post on the difference in understanding of social class in the US as opposed to Europe is completely accurate. Americans view class differently -- rightly or wrongly. The European terms might work for short-hand, but it feels like its a foreign language. I don't think my suggesting that Americans need to develop a uniquely American vocabulary for class differences is at all out of line. As yet, we don't have that vocabulary. Perhaps we're developing it.

Wow, what a way to completely misunderstand every post I and others have made on this thread. I'm sorry you were offended, but I think you're being offended out of misunderstanding and not truth.

I used the term "white trash" to criticize some of the nasty demeaning stereotypes that some posters were defaulting to in their understanding of the agenda of the Tea Party. I was using the term ironically, as was the other poster who used it. I'm surprised that I have to explain that on a forum populated by people who claim a monopoly on it.

My post on the difference in understanding of social class in the US as opposed to Europe is completely accurate. Americans view class differently -- rightly or wrongly. The European terms might work for short-hand, but it feels like its a foreign language. I don't think my suggesting that Americans need to develop a uniquely American vocabulary for class differences is at all out of line. As yet, we don't have that vocabulary. Perhaps we're developing it.

Honey I did not misunderstand nor was I offended. I have been clear that I find the term nasty, which you yourself agreed with and added that it is both 'classist and rascist'....So of course then I see you beginning to talk about the differences between class definitions here in the UK and there in the US as changing tack.

As for using the term 'ironically', fine....but someone please do me the honour of explaining exactly who you are referring to when you ironically or otherwise use the term 'white trash', because from where I am reading a few here are reluctant to do so, despite me asking repeatedly.

I am completely happy to accept the US has different class distinctions, I have never argued against that. I mean why would I? I am more than aware of the cultural differences between the two countries, despite others on the thread inferring that all us Brits think x, y and z.

I have asked that the definition of 'white trash' be explained here...why the reluctance? I mean I am sure that to use such a term ironically you must feel you (not you alone) have a sophisticated handle on it's meaning/usage/definition right?

The tea party darling Cantor is outraged that these mobs & their supporters pit Americans against each other!.....and it's Obama's fault.

House GOP Leader Eric Cantor decried the protests that started several weeks ago in New York, and have spread to major cities across the country. Cantor said in a speech at the Values Voters Summit in Washington that he is "increasingly concerned" about the "growing mobs" represented at the protests.
"Some in Washington have actually condoned the pitting of Americans against Americans," Cantor said of the protests after accusing the Obama administration's policies of being an "assault on many of our nation's bedrock principles."

As for Republicans, Mitt Romney accused the protesters of engaging in "class warfare,"....

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich called them the "Obama demonstrations," while Texas Rep. Ron Paul encouraged the protests.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_new...s-hes-concerned-by-mobs-at-occupy-wall-street

Fox says these people are even further left than Obama! A CNN anchor mocked them as pretty much just a bunch of hippies & weirdos.

@purves Nowhere if the powers that be and their minions in the media can persuade the masses that the protestors are indeed 'hippies and weirdos'. Everywhere if as I hope and think it's quite a great deal more than that.

I reckon I'm with your latter thought, even after controlling for inherent optimism - it appears a perfect storm of grievance, recognition of servitude and injustice and a (relatively) cheap, simple means to bring elements together where and when it matters.

It still remains very much a movement of potential. Hate to say it but so far the demonstrations, although taking place in lots of cities, have not really achieved massive numbers. I think 20.000 is the biggest so far. Now while great, especially for such a short time, this won't become a serious force until it begins mobilising hundreds of thousands. Then, we will see where this can lead. Contrary to popular belief, the US has a proud tradition of revolutionary action, the anti war movement in the 60s shook the nation and mobilised a generation. That is what this needs to do if it is to become a serious force. I remain hopeful.

Reports of a massive turnout for Occupy Wall Street at Washington Square in New York City. This image posted yesterday.

316219_293022704042540_200137333331078_1294598_855948692_n.jpg

Check out this lacky piece of shit:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sohrab-ahmari/arab-spring-occupy-wall-street_b_998661.html

Utter scum - liberal democratic institutions and freedoms are not designed to facilitate challenges to the structural asymmetric power relations that Occupy Wall Street are protesting. In fact in and of themselves, they play a significant role in preserving and even deepening those inequities. Only grass roots social movement energy (cumulating one would hope into more institutionalised politics) can bring about such a sea change.

The worst fear of the political & financial elite is that this turns into something like the 60s anti war movement. Somehow I don't think it will get that powerful. Back then youth were being forced into the military by the hundreds of thousands to fight an obviously insane war on the other side of the world that the US was losing. Financial scandals are more complicated. I don't think it will fizzle out anytime soon though.

A positive development media wise....the CNN anchor who ridiculed the protest is coming in for tons of criticism. Bet she's more careful from now on.

On her new CNN show on Monday night, host Erin Burnett was joined by Rudy Giuliani’s former speechwriter John Avlon and together they heaped condescending scorn on the Wall Street protests while defending the banking industry, offering — as FAIR documented — several misleading statements along the way. Burnett “reported” that while she “saw dancing, bongo drums, even a clown” at the protest, the participants “did not know what they want,” except that “it seems like people want a messiah leader, just like they did when they anointed Barack Obama.”

Among the many fabulous guests celebrating Burnett’s new “news” program was JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. Do you think any of this might have anything to do with her scorn for Wall Street protests and her perpetual defense of the nation’s oligrachs?
Would it ever occur to CNN that perhaps a former Wall Street banker at Goldman Sachs, currently engaged to a Citigroup executive, might not be the best person to cover those protests? Of course not: that’s exactly the bias that makes her such an appropriate choice in the eyes of her Time Warner bosses.
http://politics.salon.com/2011/10/05/erin_burnett_voice_of_the_people/singleton/

Back
Top Bottom