Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Occupy Wall Street

Very strange watching this. Naomi Klein is speaking and the there is no public address system so the crowd is chanting her words out aloud so that the crowd can hear.

Very strange watching this. Naomi Klein is speaking and the there is no public address system so the crowd is chanting her words out aloud so that the crowd can hear.
I think there's a ban on amplification equipment. But if I picked that up from laurie's twitter it's almost certainly wrong.

New York

294225_10150317430963931_575188930_8051267_1364931776_n.jpg

306429_10150317431133931_575188930_8051269_678033958_n.jpg

I think there's a ban on amplification equipment. But if I picked that up from laurie's twitter it's almost certainly wrong.
No. That's right. It's called the human microphone. Since sound amplification is banned, each speaker has their words repeated by the crowd around them.
Because of restrictions imposed on amplification at the venue, Klein gave a truncated speech so audience members could better pass on her words to those behind them in a process the protestors term “the human microphone.”
http://www.forextv.com/forex-news-s...-protesters-with-speech-at-occupy-wall-street

I've just listened to the latest missive from Alex Jones, him of 'Infowars' and it's clear he's arguing for a return to classical bourgeoisie economics, or as he terms it "classical capitalism", so a return to a brutal form of the beast for him and his disciples. Although, no likelihood of him up a chimney. Gotta picket a pocket, or two......

This map is currently doing the rounds on FB. No idea how accurate it is, but seems to back up that report

View attachment 13861

From what I've seen its fairly accurate. I was contacted by both #OccupyOmaha and #OccupyLincoln. Omaha is having a demo on Monday and Lincoln today in front of the Federal Building @ 5:30. Unfortunately, I have to work, otherwise I'd go. Ironically, I'm running a reception for some of that 1%.

I've just listened to the latest missive from Alex Jones, him of 'Infowars' and it's clear he's arguing for a return to classical bourgeoisie economics, or as he terms it "classical capitalism", so a return to a brutal form of the beast for him and his disciples. Although, no likelihood of him up a chimney. Gotta picket a pocket, or two......

One of the reasons Im enjoying these protests is that it seems to be forcing these sorts of right wingers to show their hand. Previously it was easy for not terribly well informed people to know what Alex Jones was against, but less clear what he was for.

One of the reasons Im enjoying these protests is that it seems to be forcing these sorts of right wingers to show their hand. Previously it was easy for not terribly well informed people to know what Alex Jones was against, but less clear what he was for.
There is a very impressive level of 'political maturity' at the USA protests.... The fight may have been seen to be dormant, though it was always there...
The General Assemblies they hold daily erradicates infiltration from the 'jonny come lately's'

less said about that prick alex jones the better.. they have seen through him.. but its kinda 'open' as to who attends... he wont make political capital I believe (and dearly hope)

This is essentially what the Tea Party were about originally before they were co-opted by other interests.
I have been following the 'online' general assemblies and in regular contact with a heap of the cities... and imho... there has been a steeping learning curve in terms of expectation....

tbh: the teaparty is a bad comparision as frankly the majority of their foundation was built on right-wing, 'war-mongering etc etc... thick as shit base....

these protests are different....

I have been following the 'online' general assemblies and in regular contact with a heap of the cities... and imho... there has been a steeping learning curve in terms of expectation....

tbh: the teaparty is a bad comparision as frankly the majority of their foundation was built on right-wing, 'war-mongering etc etc... thick as shit base....

these protests are different....

I think you misunderstand what I was comparing. I was comparing the original reasons for the protest not the protest themselves. The Tea Party originally was about the disparity in income and the way the lower classes were losing in the current political climate. They didn't have a coherent way to putting it together and they were quickly co-opted by groups funded by the Koch brothers (etc) that brought in paid organizers to redirect the original message into something more friendly to their interests.

I think you misunderstand what I was comparing. I was comparing the original reasons for the protest not the protest themselves. The Tea Party originally was about the disparity in income and the way the lower classes were losing in the current political climate. They didn't have a coherent way to putting it together and they were quickly co-opted by groups funded by the Koch brothers (etc) that brought in paid organizers to redirect the original message into something more friendly to their interests.
and therin lies the difference ( I hope, as im not there)

we live in interesting times......

and therin lies the difference ( I hope, as im not there)

we live in interesting times......

I do hope that it is different, but I suspect that the best way to turn everyone against it is to just hire a few thugs to blend into the crowd, smash a few windows, and make off with some big screens.

I'm not sure about this. I'm sure you know more about the tea party than me but it seems to me that the tea party was essentially a middle class, libertarian nationalist movement which attacked government spending and demanded lower taxation and public spending. As such the tea party was always an anti working class movement that attacked the forms of government spending that benefited the poor such as health care etc and it did (does) so by celebrating a nostalgic kind of rabid individualism.

'tbh: the teaparty is a bad comparision as frankly the majority of their foundation was built on right-wing, 'war-mongering etc etc... thick as shit base....

Yeah, trailer trash, in fact white trailer trash...

'tbh: the teaparty is a bad comparision as frankly the majority of their foundation was built on right-wing, 'war-mongering etc etc... thick as shit base....

Yeah, trailer trash, in fact white trailer trash...
What do you think of the comparison between the tea party and fascist movements? Middle class and appeals to lumpen elements of the working class, anti union, celebrates a mythical past and agitates for its return, anti minority, anti gay, nationalistic, protectionist, militaristic, racist. Quietly supported by big business. I don't know enough about them to say they are a fascist movement but I think there are enough similarities to make me think they share some commonalities.

"This is the End Game" Talib Kweli

apparently Paul Oakenfold is on the live stream playing live down there, imminently :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom