Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Occupy Wall Street

Honey I did not misunderstand nor was I offended. I have been clear that I find the term nasty, which you yourself agreed with and added that it is both 'classist and rascist'....So of course then I see you beginning to talk about the differences between class definitions here in the UK and there in the US as changing tack.

As for using the term 'ironically', fine....but someone please do me the honour of explaining exactly who you are referring to when you ironically or otherwise use the term 'white trash', because from where I am reading a few here are reluctant to do so, despite me asking repeatedly.

I am completely happy to accept the US has different class distinctions, I have never argued against that. I mean why would I? I am more than aware of the cultural differences between the two countries, despite others on the thread inferring that all us Brits think x, y and z.

I have asked that the definition of 'white trash' be explained here...why the reluctance? I mean I am sure that to use such a term ironically you must feel you (not you alone) have a sophisticated handle on it's meaning/usage/definition right?

First of all, don't call me "Honey". I'm neither cute nor sweet.

Despite your condescending tone, I'll attempt to answer rationally. I haven't seen you "repeatedly ask" for the definition of the term. I haven't seen you ask period only complain that you haven't received an answer before.

As for for answer, originally it was a pre-civil war era put-down used by house slaves to describe the poor white people they saw who were scrapping by with no work, because the available work had been shifted onto the unpaid slaves. Over the years it took root in general society until well-off white folks thought they invented it. Around the Depression it was co-opted in the poorer white community it described as badge of honor as many groups do. As was the word "Redneck." Its come to mean someone who cobbles together a life from scraps. (There's honor in that.) Specificially, when I use the term I'm describing my friends and neighbors I see who are getting progressively poorer despite working progressively harder.

And I'll repeat. My post on class distinctions in the US and the way Americans perceive it is totally relevant to this thread. It is a thread on a protest in the US is it not? Class, basic fairness, and social mobility are central to the discussion.

In a letter I received this morning from the Bank of America they had this to say:

'We are increasing one or more of the standard rates on your credit card'. These are:

Card purchases: Current Rate 16.0% New Rate: 25.9%
Balance Transfers: Current Rate: 18.9% New Rate: 27.9%
Cheques and Money Transfers: Current Rate: 20.9% New Rate: 29.9%
Cash (including ATM withdrawals): Current Rate: 27.9% New Rate: 29.9%

Consumer prices index (CPI) inflation August 2011 4.5%.
Inflation: Retail prices index (RPI) July 2011 5.2%
Inflation: Retail prices index excl. mortgage payments (RPIX) July 2011 5.3%

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1586103/Inflation--Interest-rates--Economic-growth--Unemployment-Latest-statistics.html#ixzz1aOXaWhhv

In a letter I received this morning from the Bank of America they had this to say:

'We are increasing one or more of the standard rates on your credit card'. These are:

Card purchases: Current Rate 16.0% New Rate: 25.9%
Balance Transfers: Current Rate: 18.9% New Rate: 27.9%
Cheques and Money Transfers: Current Rate: 20.9% New Rate: 29.9%

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1586103/Inflation--Interest-rates--Economic-growth--Unemployment-Latest-statistics.html#ixzz1aOXaWhhv

That looks like a "please get lost" rate to me. Dump 'em. :)

Card purchases: Current Rate 16.0% New Rate: 25.9% [+9.9%]
Balance Transfers: Current Rate: 18.9% New Rate: 27.9% [+9.0%]
Cheques and Money Transfers: Current Rate: 20.9% New Rate: 29.9% [+9.0%]

Jesus christ that's a steep increase! :eek:

Like yuwipi woman said: dump 'em (asap)

Jesus christ that's a steep increase! :eek:

Like yuwipi woman said: dump 'em (asap)

Relax, I foresaw it coming. Just last month I dumped, as another credit card company were offering balance transfers for 22 months at 0 percent interest, so I'm cool until 2013. :D

Edit to add: Don't sign-up to an Amazon credit card just now.

First of all, don't call me "Honey". I'm neither cute nor sweet.
Errr...Okay then grumpy. :facepalm:

Despite your condescending tone,
What condescending tone? :D That is how you are choosing to read/receive me. Not a fact or a true respresentation of my tone.

I'll attempt to answer rationally. I haven't seen you "repeatedly ask" for the definition of the term. I haven't seen you ask period only complain that you haven't received an answer before.

I have asked more than once, not just you btw...sod you if you want to spat about it.

I don't ever remember treating you badly so you can take your grump out on someone else. :)

Apart from that ^^^ thanks for the answer... shame you couldn't be more gracious about it.

Whereas the super rich and the wall street bankers are more accountable?

Take the money of those fuckers and put it into education, healthcare, social housing and the aliviation of poverty - or is that 'squandering' in your book?

Doesn't matter where the money should go. They'll still squander the money.

Put it like this - we have an 'educational' lottery in my state. You'd think the schools and teachers would see more than just a fraction of it. But since policymakers are clever lawyers they wrote up the lotto law with a clause to be able to help themselves to the lotto earnings if there's ever an 'emergency'. We've had an emergency ever since.

As for for answer, originally it was a pre-civil war era put-down used by house slaves to describe the poor white people they saw who were scrapping by with no work, because the available work had been shifted onto the unpaid slaves. Over the years it took root in general society until well-off white folks thought they invented it. Around the Depression it was co-opted in the poorer white community it described as badge of honor as many groups do. As was the word "Redneck." Its come to mean someone who cobbles together a life from scraps. (There's honor in that.) Specificially, when I use the term I'm describing my friends and neighbors I see who are getting progressively poorer despite working progressively harder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash
Huh.. I didn't know it dated to the early 1800s. I don't understand how it was a 'house slave' thing though when ordinary slaves were known to call poor whites 'crackers'. Why wouldn't they call them trash too?

just getting in before the boss poster ;)

BruceSpringsteensongPics1CNB34gcUoYYqM.jpg

take that shit down at once!!

I guess what it comes down to Rutita is if you don't like what I post I'm sure you can find the "report post" button. I'm not immune to the forum rules.

Fox news having a bit of trouble. This video could use some serious editing, skip ahead to about the 4 minute mark to get a better view. Some heckling by the 6 minute mark, 'Where are the weapons of mass destruction you freak' lol.

I guess what it comes down to Rutita is if you don't like what I post I'm sure you can find the "report post" button. I'm not immune to the forum rules.

Drama queen much? :D What the hell? Seriously...I have no clue why you have gotten your knickers in such a twist...I haven't been rude to you nor accused you of anything....In fact, the way I recall you agreed with my original point that the term 'white trash' is nasty....I am interested in your explanation of it actually...have spent the evening with an American friend and asked her about it too...she is pretty sure it comes down to education, finance and socially 'acceptable' behaviour...

I will look into your assertation about it having it's root in the minds of 'Black house slaves' at another time...

Oh and btw, if I ever thought you had posted something that needed reporting...I definately would not wait for your invitation to do so...seriously, get a grip!

wall-street-protrest-occupy-wall-street-eat-the-rich.png

Tomorrow, Occupy Wall Street protesters will leave Zuccotti Park at 11 AM and head to the Upper East Side to see how "the 1%" live.

They're calling it, "NYC billionaires Walking Tour" and they'll start marching at 59th and 5th Avenue around 12:30 PM. You can check out the link to their Facebook invitation. Here's a snippet:

Wanna "see how the 1% lives"? Then join us on a walking tour of the homes of some of the bank and corporate executives that don't pay taxes, cut jobs, engaged in mortgage fraud, tanked our economy.....all while giving themselves record setting bonuses!

http://www.businessinsider.com/occu...aires-walking-tour-of-upper-east-side-2011-10

Hyperbole?

No not just hyperbole. It's pretty much at the core of the protests. The problem isn't that some get very rich. It's that they use those riches to buy the political leadership. This isn't what democracy is supposed to look like.

There is no democracy only the perception. Goldman Sachs and friends succeeded in what was effectively a coup d'état in the last 18 months of GWB.

Tim Stanley's latest pile of shite

Photos confirm what I suspected: that most of the protesters are kids looking for their Sixties rush. Naked girls are painted in psychedelic colours. Handsome boys lounge around in cable-knit sweaters. Angry, doomed youth wave signs in the faces of frustrated policemen. Numbers are exchanged; kisses are snatched behind the barricades; disease is spread. This is what every generation of liberal has tried to recreate since 1968, be it the Watergate protests, the Battle of Seattle or the Stop the War Movement. I know this because I, too, once grasped for my 1968 moment. In 2003, I joined the sweaty ranks of the antiwar campaign. I was honestly motivated and intellectually sound, but I can’t deny the heady anticipation that a life of protest would lead inexorably to drugs and girls. I got the drugs but not the girls, and woke up several months later in a squat surrounded by Trotskyite bores who seemed far more intelligent when I was stoned. Zabriskie Point it was not.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/t...elp-elect-a-republican-in-2012/#disqus_thread

Stanley doesn't look old enough to remember 1968.

Back
Top Bottom