Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Not UFOs

2hats

Dust.
A thread for interesting/peculiar lights/objects in the sky which actually have a more mundane or perfectly rational (and often interesting) explanation.

Caught by the Subaru-Asahi Star Camera at the Mauna Kea Observatory on 28 Jan 2023:
Subaru-Asahi Star Camera, Mauna Kea, 1200z 28 Jan 2023
This is actually the ACDL (Aerosol and Carbon dioxide Detection Lidar) instrument on board the Chinese Daqi 1 atmosphere environment monitoring satellite. The visible green 532nm beam is one of the instruments operating wavelengths (the others are at 1064 and 1572 nm, which being in the NIR/SWIR aren't visible).

Entirely by chance, re-entry of Starlink 1353 caught on a live stream over northern Japan (Hokkaido) a couple of days ago. M42 Orion Nebula in the centre of the frame.

(Obviously, more chance of randomly catching a Starlink entry than anything else...)

Long overdue for some more exhibits.

First this seemingly confusing display:

Second, the Chinese taikonauts' ShenZhou-16 capsule ablative reentry spotted over Korla, China, en route to landing in the Gobi desert:
The leading object is the crewed reentry module (controlled entry with thermal management) whilst the spectacular main decay is the recently separated service module (less controlled - ie breakup).

Finally: a Falcon 9 second stage de-orbit burn (setup for disposal in the S Atlantic/southern Indian Ocean) , seen from Texas, exciting upper atmosphere atomic oxygen to the point of red emission.

A thread for interesting/peculiar lights/objects in the sky which actually have a more mundane or perfectly rational (and often interesting) explanation.

Caught by the Subaru-Asahi Star Camera at the Mauna Kea Observatory on 28 Jan 2023:
Subaru-Asahi Star Camera, Mauna Kea, 1200z 28 Jan 2023
This is actually the ACDL (Aerosol and Carbon dioxide Detection Lidar) instrument on board the Chinese Daqi 1 atmosphere environment monitoring satellite. The visible green 532nm beam is one of the instruments operating wavelengths (the others are at 1064 and 1572 nm, which being in the NIR/SWIR aren't visible).

I watched this a little drunk on my phone last night and was thinking yeah but wtf are those bright round white lights falling out of the sky towards the ground. Then I realised it was fucking snowing on urban again.

The Chinese authorities are back to their traditional methods of spent first stage disposal. Not only do you have to dodge the incoming projectile, but also the resulting deadly cloud of unspent hypergolic fuels.

SpaceX F9 stage 2 disposal burn seen from Norway and Iceland two nights ago. This was the Transporter-10 launch and the spiral is as a result of the upper stage being spun up for payload deployment and then still spinning at the time of the upper stage disposal burn and venting en route to disposal over the Pacific.
Trasnporter-10 upper stage disposal burn seen from Norway, 5 March 2024. Trasnporter-10 upper stage disposal burn seen from Iceland, 5 March 2024.
Transporter-10 orbital path.

I learned about an hour and a quarter ago that there had been a large Coronal Mass Ejection from the Sun, which will cause a geomagnetic storm on the Earth, and allow people to see the Aurora Borealis as far south as places very far south, further south than the south coast of Great Britain. So, I popped out to have a look. The sky was overcast. . .

Back
Top Bottom