Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Not telling the insurance company about points?

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
So I've managed to pick up 3 points for speeding. It's been a lot of years, since the last time, actually thought I'd be offered a course, but must have been just over the threshold or something. Anyway my understanding was that you had to tell the insurance company when it happened, but I've gone to check Admiral's website and found this. Is this standard? Whole thing makes me nervous as I know giving them incorrect information or withholding it is worse then getting points.

1685457442588.png

Yes because it affects your risk (and it will put your premium up) A lot of insurance companies insist you tell them immediately not just at renewal.

EDIT: Also if you are listed as a named driver on someone else's policy (parents/spouse etc) THEY have to tell their insurance company and their premiums go up as well.

I've always been under the impression it's at renewal, but check your policy.

Key Points
Legally obliged to declare penalty points to car insurer under The Road Traffic Act 1998
; failure to do so may result in invalid insurance and rejected claims. Most cases allow for declaration at insurance renewal, but always check policy details as some insurers require immediate notification.

3 points shouldn't affect your premium. 6 will though.
Did with mine (doing 36 in a 30 zone) added £50 at the next renewal and that was back in 2003 so I doubt it's got any better. It also added £50 to Mrs Q's policy for her car as well (which at the time I was paying due to her not working)

As with most types of insurance the premium is based on the risk you present at the time of the inception of the policy. They'd be on very dodgy legal ground if they tried to argue that your insurance was invalid after you'd paid for it, despite picking-up a few points during the insured period. I've always told insurers at renewal and have renewed with the existing company several times without eyebrows being raised when I've mentioned the points.

Ask your insurers and lets us know but I'd be extremely surprised if I'm wrong.

I am not sure insurers care much about 3 points for speeding as so many people, MP's and Archbishops included, seem to be picking them up these days.
In my area, the greatest risk theses days appears to be certain cars that are prone to theft.
That said, I am in no doubt that insurers will grab every opportunity to increase premiums.
Contrary to that. When I passed my IAM course, it seemed to make no difference to premiums.

If you don't tell them something - and one of the first things they will ask for if you make a claim will be a code to access your driving licence information - it will make the success of any claim very dubious indeed. It's a firmly-held principle of insurance that the policy holder has the responsibility for ensuring that any change the material facts they provided on commencement are given to the insurance company.

What they do after that evidently varies...

As with most types of insurance the premium is based on the risk you present at the time of the inception of the policy. They'd be on very dodgy legal ground if they tried to argue that your insurance was invalid after you'd paid for it, despite picking-up a few points during the insured period. I've always told insurers at renewal and have renewed with the existing company several times without eyebrows being raised when I've mentioned the points.

Ask your insurers and lets us know but I'd be extremely surprised if I'm wrong.

Yes, you're correct. I called them. Fuckers tried to get me to add the points there and then, but after I asked twice if there website was incorrect he admitted it could wait till renewal.

The insurance company will already know about the points. They will keep taking your money and will not pay out at all as you have not disclosed.

Well I'm not sure what better reassurance you can expect than that given by your insurance provider. As you can see this thread has attracted a lot contradictory opinions, only some of which are correct.

True. I fucked badly with car insurance when I was young and it cost me for years. Totally my fault, but it's left nervous ever since.

Ok they will continue to take your money and will reduce a payout due to non disclosure!

That's normally what happens. If there's been a non-disclosure, depending on how serious it's considered, they will calculate the price that you should have paid at the time and deduct that from the payout (or insist that you pay it first). If the undisclosed information would have prevented them from offering you cover at all, they can invalidate and cancel the policy.

Might be worth ringing some other insurance companies before you renew and getting some quotes from them, including telling them about the three points. If your current insurance comp tries to add too much tell them you've had cheaper offers [hopefully you will have]. They're likely to drop their increase a bit or match the lower offer to keep you.
Might not be worth the hassle though as I doubt the increase will be that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: izz
Tell them when you renew, 3 points will make jack-all difference though.

IIRC Admiral are the only ones to demand you tell them about speed awareness courses, though they have no legal way to know if you've done one if you don't tell them.

Yes, you're correct. I called them. Fuckers tried to get me to add the points there and then, but after I asked twice if there website was incorrect he admitted it could wait till renewal.
Fuckers !!! Trawl a few websites now so you have another company/quote lined up so you can tell Admiral to swivel on the end of your middle finger.

I called them when this happened to me in the past, person on the phone said "thank you foer telling us, it won't affect your premium until renewal", guess you spoke to a salesperson who was tryhing to up your premium there an then, you're still fully covered now as you disclosed but no change to your premium until renewal as it was set with the information available at the time.
always get alternative quotes at renewal (this does nto seem to be so much of a game changer these days as it was in the past though)

The thing is, if you don't disclose something that you're supposed to, they'll just void the policy and refuse to pay out. So you're effectively uninsured. And if you get into an accident that's your fault, you'll be on the hook for paying for all the damages/compensation.

I’ve always been suspicious about the need of tell them of an accident that wasn’t your fault- certainly if it’s a minor one with no injuries and minor repairs paid by the other party. I wouldn’t put it beyond them to increase your premium for it

Back
Top Bottom