Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Car insurance nonsense (or story Vs Lambeth Parking)

umm, story
- what would be Lambeth's requirements if you had a car on long-term hire from someone like Europcar or Hertz and needed a permit ?

Is "hiring" your friend's car for a small sum per month a way around this ?

The parking place?

I‘ve never understood why this is considered a problem. If I live here, I get a parking place. Why shouldn‘t I share it/rent it? If I had a car, I’d be using it.

And what about if you wanted a car but couldn’t get a permit as there were none left, but a neighbour who didn’t have a car had a permit but was renting the space to someone who didn’t live there but worked nearby?

Is a parking permit essential. You say it's going to cost you over £500 for a few months insurance. Is it not possible you could rent a nearby space or garage for less?And not worry about insurance from your address

Thanks. I had no idea. Urban is brilliant for this kind of stuff.
I’ll look into it.

And what about if you wanted a car but couldn’t get a permit as there were none left, but a neighbour who didn’t have a car had a permit but was renting the space to someone who didn’t live there but worked nearby?
Good question, do they ration the number of permits or do they just issue them on the basis of you live there so you can have one and then let the residents fight it out for the actual parking spaces regardless of supply?

TBF I think the OP is being unfair on herself on thinking that her paving over her front lawn is going to have any detrimental effect on preventing flooding in the local area. The failure of the local water companies to properly invest in drainage so they can use the money for shareholder dividends probably contributes a lot more to flooding than paving over a few square meters or even lots of people paving over a few square meters. After all one of the secondary effects of a dropped kerb is providing a means for water to run off into the gutter and thus the drains.
However it does seem ato be a lot of expense to go to in order to borrow someone's car for a few months.

I don’t have a front garden anyway

Do you not get a book of visitors' permits? I have lived in two CPZ areas and in both yu got a book full of scratch cards that covered 2 hours, half day, day, weekend and week. I think you got about six weeks of 'week' ones and about the same of the rest. Plus every household could buy another book a year for something like £25. Do Lambeth do this?

Do you not get a book of visitors' permits? I have lived in two CPZ areas and in both yu got a book full of scratch cards that covered 2 hours, half day, day, weekend and week. I think you got about six weeks of 'week' ones and about the same of the rest. Plus every household could buy another book a year for something like £25. Do Lambeth do this?

They are now online and cost £5 a day I think.

This whole situation just makes me shudder at how complicated us humans have made life for ourselves... If this was back in the 60s or BRR (Before Road Rules) - whenever that was - it would not be a problem.

Of course the rules are there for a reason, but they often have punishing effect - and I think it just shows human time is over, we're just ridiculous sometimes :D :D

Accumulatively more expensive than the quoted cost of the insurance.

And anyway, I'm sure they put a limit on how many permits I’m allowed to have, to guard against problems like people driving from Sheffield and parking outside my house without having the right to do so.

In the olden days when I had more money, more vigour, and more time, I wrote to the council complaining about this issue. Why am I unable to use my right to park for any car I park outside my house? Rental car, borrowed car, company car, friend‘s car, and these days, Zip car.

Obviously it’s a money harvesting thing.
The outcome is that it penalises people like me who like not owning a car, but sometimes have the use of a car for ,long periods of time.

When I’ve owned a car, I’ve bought and paid for my permit without any complaint. Whenever I’ve not owned a car but had the use of a car, I’ve run up against this stupid problem.
Do you not get visitor permits? I’m in a controlled parking area and we get 60 free per year, and can buy another 60 if we want (quite cheap). That means you can use them for hire cars, visitors etc. For visitors usually we just activate one for our car, park it on the street, and let visitors use our garage. Do similar things not exist in London?

Do you not get visitor permits? I’m in a controlled parking area and we get 60 free per year, and can buy another 60 if we want (quite cheap). That means you can use them for hire cars, visitors etc. For visitors usually we just activate one for our car, park it on the street, and let visitors use our garage. Do similar things not exist in London?
🤣🤣🤣😂🤣

Nothing is set up for the benefit of service users. It’s all money harvesting.

We‘re not even considered as citizens, we’re “service users”.

Our estate in Tooting is more generous, we get an allocated parking permit for our car + one for visitors, without time limit, I do realise that's quite rare in London, but Wandsworth is a bit more driver friendly... Also - There are a few places around Lambeth with almost free parking - i.e. free apart from 10 to noon on New Park Road for example. You will also find totally free parking in Furzedown and some roads near Lambeth border, if that's of any help. Parkopedia is helpful for that. I believe Tooting Bec Common car parks are free all day. Might be too inconvenient for you though.

Edit: I have to drive to Lambeth a couple of times a week to pick/drop gd from/to school - it takes 10mins by car and 40 minutes by public transport. So that's the other reason people might want a car in London, it can save A LOT of time and once you have kids it does make life a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited:
They hate us
I do too. Too many people in London own cars. I never have because why? But it affects me all the same. When moving house two years ago the arrangements with the removal company had to be changed from leisurely afternoon to almost midnight because the traffic was so bad. And then when it did happen, the removal vehicle couldn’t park successfully at either end because of the fact there’s too many cars parked up.
Serious question; why do you want a car?

I do too. Too many people in London own cars. I never have because why? But it affects me all the same. When moving house two years ago the arrangements with the removal company had to be changed from leisurely afternoon to almost midnight because the traffic was so bad. And then when it did happen, the removal vehicle couldn’t park successfully at either end because of the fact there’s too many cars parked up.
Serious question; why do you want a car?

I intermittently own a car. I’m fine without one, on the whole.

The only times I’ve owned a car are when someone else has given one to me. Like, when they get too run down to sell, too good to scrap, or (as currently) when they’re out of the country for an extended period of time and they’d rather have a trusted friend use it than have it SORNed somewhere where it can be stolen or vandalised.

I’ve hired a car many times this year. It’s starting to be more costly to hire a vehicle intermittently than it would be to own one.

Hiring a car to go to a festival is absurdly expensive and often wipes out any profit I might make. I have to take a vehicle because I work on site and take my pitch with me.

I make various trips out of London with multiple destinations, often times far from any station. Such trips are basically impossible without a car, and various aspects of my life are dependent on making this kind of trip.

I go wild camping and I’m no longer strong enough (or willing) to carry my kit on public transport and then hike out. I can store basic camping kit in my car and I’m half way there.

And the deciding factor this time : I have visiting rights to a house on the coast that‘s a 30 minute drive from the nearest station, and a 30 minute walk from the nearest shop. The owners live overseas, the house is inherited from their father, my own father’s best friend, so it’s been a home for me (and my siblings and litter mates) all my life. If I don’t go down there, the house stands empty, which isn’t good for the house (this becomes more significant over the winter). I’ve done it all with taxis and hire cars, and I’ve also done it with a car I owned. It works much much better when I can leap into the car and drive down on my own schedule. That’s about a 100 minute journey door to door if I travel when there’s less traffic. I like driving at night and at dawn. It also means I can invite friends and not have them schelpp about on the trains and taxis.

Having a car also means I can collect building materials (I’m doing some projects at the moment and into the spring) and move things around town (I’m doing some of that too) without hiring mans with vans or roping in busy friends/family to help. Zip cars are sometimes no better value than Ubers, and you have to travel to the zip car and back again, so taxis are better but still a drag when hoiking materials around town, even short distances. Some places deliver, some don’t, some deliver but only over a certain ££ etc (most recently needed a single bag of ballast to complete something. Sorting that out without a car was a pain in the arse).

As an added advantage, if I have a car I can also drop off big loads or furniture to charity shops and the tip rather than carrying separate loads on public transport.

I can do big shops rather than only as much as I can carry.
I can do fetch & carry favours for friends and neighbours.

I can also go to gigs further away without having to rush back to the train station before the night has ended, paying for an AirBnB or staying over on a sofa, staying up all night in a bus shelter or bitter-ends after party. I can sleep in the car or head home when I’m ready.

When the car owners return from their trip and I give them their car back, I’ll have been able to do a lot of chores and errands, plus some fun stuff, and then I’ll go back to not having a car again. Then I might think of buying one, or go back to hiring them.

If I hire a car, I‘ll still using resources (parking space, traffic on the road, noise, pollution). Theres a tipping point when it becomes more expensive for me and therefore not sensible not own.

Do I pass the threshold for sensible London car ownership?

I think you do. And to be fair I hadn’t really considered a lot of the scenarios you’ve laid out as it’s not reflected in my life. But there has to be a line somewhere with folk as it’s getting unworkable.

Even my home town is getting bad but at least there’s the excuse there that public transport is pretty useless.
In days of yore there’d be a family car. Then it became two as a couple both needed to work to make ends meet. And now the kids have one too but still live with parents as it’s too expensive to move out. All need parking spaces.

the twunts

and many will ask if you've been declined insurance when you ask them for a quote.
This is not what this question is about and you do not need to declare it.

Everyone has had an insurer refuse to quote - most of them didn't even know about it. Whether you have been 'declined' insurance is about whether you have put in a claim and had that declined for reasons relating to your dishonesty or inaccuracy etc.

Reactions: MBV
This is not what this question is about and you do not need to declare it.

Everyone has had an insurer refuse to quote - most of them didn't even know about it. Whether you have been 'declined' insurance is about whether you have put in a claim and had that declined for reasons relating to your dishonesty or inaccuracy etc.

that's not the way i'd always read it - i'd have thought that would 'have you had a claim declined' rather than 'have you had insurance declined' or whatever it is they ask

i'm not in that trade though

that's not the way i'd always read it - i'd have thought that would 'have you had a claim declined' rather than 'have you had insurance declined' or whatever it is they ask

i'm not in that trade though
It's a flag for whether you've been involved in any kind of insurance fraud or misbehaviour. Your insurance policy could also be declined/voided/cancelled without any claim if they somehow found out you'd misrepresented yourself or otherwise broken the terms. Like if you stopped paying the premium.

If you really get into it, then insurers will make clear to you that they are declining to quote rather than declining to insure.

£10.50 per day for residents to purchase; and the insanely helpful and utterly unworkable Lambeth permits system CLAIMS any resident can buy up to 50 per household per year ; this could be another way to catch you out; but it may get you around the 'show your insurance details' malarkey. Though you DO still have to go through that website to enter all the vehicle details including its reg #, make, colour etc ARGGH. If you go this route you have to 'book a session' online for each and every day of being in the controlled zone(s) when controls are in place (not sure if this would include Sat/Sundays in your road), rather than scratching off a physical voucher each day. At least you can do it in advance though. NB: the permits for 'tradesmen' are MORE expensive and even more hassle, so be sure to steer clear of those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom