Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next Tory Leader?

Which dreadful excuse for a human will lead the Tories?

• Braverman

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Badenoch

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Patel

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Hunt

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Cleverly

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Somehow Boris Johnson

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

Cloo

Approved by toads
Well , that's it, Sunak gone. It can only be an odious right-wing populist reactionary, but which one? I fear maybe Braverman. Hunt seemed to be making a play for it with his acceptance speech but terrifyingly I suspect he is too moderate.

This could have the flavour of a Republican primary more- people continuously outflanking one another from the right & much quotable doing-the-crazy-dance speeches in the contest.

Expect pledges to privatise fresh air, re introduce chimney sweep apprenticeships for 7-12 year olds, etc.

If they go for a hard-right leader then the Tories may be on a Whig trajectory…

And that frightens me. I do not like the direction this country seems to be heading.

This country has spent 14 years voting for racists, Farage is a progression in presentation, not disposition. Not sure the racist vote has actually grown all that much either, just become more obvious and maybe even hit a ceiling in some places, cities at least.

This country has spent 14 years voting for racists, Farage is a progression in presentation, not disposition. Not sure the racist vote has actually grown all that much either, just become more obvious and maybe even hit a ceiling in some places, cities at least.

Yep, this. He's not far away from what most Tories want anyway. If he'd been the Conservative party leader now, this election would have looked very different.

He'll spend a couple of years tidying up the racist image and pretending to become a bit more moderate, become the Tory leader and win the next GE or the one after that.

Yep, this. He's not far away from what most Tories want anyway. If he'd been the Conservative party leader now, this election would have looked very different.

He'll spend a couple of years tidying up the racist image and pretending to become a bit more moderate, become the Tory leader and win the next GE or the one after that.

Think the one barrier to that will be capital, ironically. There will be monied backers who want a Cameron figure, not a Trump one and they might try to rebuild the Tories as their spare platform for disciplining Labour which could potentially keep the vote split. Otherwise I'm sure a re-unified Right would have a similar headbanger at the helm but even then I don't know if Farage has the inclination, connections or longevity to do the job. Plenty of Lee Andersons and Badenochs waiting in the wings wondering 'why not me?' I reckon.

e2a: And Patels and Bravermans, as mentioned above. Embaressment of riches when it comes to massive right wing arseholes.

Nah, too many of his voters will be dead by then

Worst take on here for a while. unless the Tories incorporate Reform they’ll be polling 30% within 12 months of a Starmer government, they are in second place among voters aged 16-17 and look at Europe and who is propelling the populist right. Demographics as destiny was always wrong, now it’s also dangerously wrong.

I was being flippant! Yes there clearly is a younger demographic out for Reform too and gsv and I were just discussing that we hope Labour have a strategy starting right now to prevent a Europe-style shift to Nationalism at the next election.

I was being flippant! Yes there clearly is a younger demographic out for Reform too and gsv and I were just discussing that we hope Labour have a strategy starting right now to prevent a Europe-style shift to Nationalism at the next election.
They don't. They have promised not to increase borrowing, not to increase taxes (beyond some things like windfall taxes). They plan to invite the private sector into the public sector. They don't have any plans for affordable housing or education.

All the push factors that have created that Europe-style shift are already here, of course, and we've already seen that shift, except that it happened within a political party, hence we had Boris Johnson and brexit. Starmer's Labour don't have a single plan for how to address the problem. I've never seen them even acknowledge that the problem exists.

They do seem to be heavily reliant on Farage, whatever the attraction is meant to be. Maybe he’ll succumb to excessive drinking. Maybe a public spirited citizen will help him on his way.

I'm kind of hoping they'll go for one of the most awful shits first off, because that increases the likelihood they'll bicker their way out of leadership and they'll get someone more boring and centrist when it's election time again. I think if they start with someone like Hunt who is, sighs , marginally less dreadful, we'll have the absolute worst of them, fully backed by the Mail, Telegraph etc next election.

Back
Top Bottom