Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York photos and general chat

Still doing this btw, £25 + tax. So is United who has much better availability than Virgin and flies in to Newark, so good for a train to Penn Station.

“United: Come Fly The Friendly Skies”

(Until you get dragged off with your teeth smashed.)

I booked Virgin. Higher sticker price, cheaper after dental work :)

“United: Come Fly The Friendly Skies”

(Until you get dragged off with your teeth smashed.)

I booked Virgin. Higher sticker price, cheaper after dental work :)

If they don’t smack you in the mouth they’ll kill your dog. But, you know, £25...

When you going?

From a good friend , proper New Yorker , father a Bronx cab driver .....Utter quality this (IMHO)

The NYC Glossary: 38 New York Words to Learn

a very good list, but a few modifications:

hero: yes, but also 'sub.' not the others though ('hoagie' is specific to philadelphia).
on line: this is frequently mentioned as a marker of new york speech but you'll hear 'in the line' just as often. "shut up and get in the line."
coffee: nobody calls it "joe".
30 Rock: is a bit precious. using it indicates that you're hip and may know somebody who knows tina fey. just say "30 rockefeller center."
BK: very recent and purely hipster. it's 'bklyn.' BX is, and always has been, the bronx.
fugeddaboudit: still a common and quite useful expression. one meaning is "that question you just asked requires no answer."
vinny: "hey sal, this guy trump, is he a dik?"
sal: "is trump a dik?? fugeddaboudit."

i think the writer is on the young side...

ps, i live on east 84th street. not on 5th though, i can guarantee :D

Last edited:
a very good list, but a few modifications:

hero: yes, but also 'sub.' not the others though ('hoagie' is specific to philadelphia).
on line: this is frequently mentioned as a marker of new york speech but you'll hear 'in the line' just as often. "shut up and get in the line."
coffee: nobody calls it "joe".
30 Rock: is a bit precious. using it indicates that you're hip and may know somebody who knows tina fey. just say "30 rockefeller center."
BK: very recent and purely hipster. it's 'bklyn.' BX is, and always has been, the bronx.
fugeddaboudit: still a common and quite useful expression. one meaning is "that question you just asked requires no answer."
vinny: "hey sal, this guy trump, is he a dik?"
sal: "is trump a dik?? fugeddaboudit."

i think the writer is on the young side...

ps, i live on east 84th street. not on 5th though, i can guarantee :D
When I first got to NY and heard someone say, "Pastrami on rye and hold the mayo" it was a brilliant moment. No one ever talked like that in London but I'd heard it so many times in films...

Is the term "enough already" .....still used ?

Nothing beats getting onto an older subway car with real announcements by the c/r such as "Step inside and watch the closing doors - downtown local making all calls" etc.....

yes

fewer and fewer they are

I know - must try and get over next year for the iconic R32's on the BMT lines (the experts will know what I mean)

Many years ago , a kind conductor allowed me to make some announcements on the "F" -

These are great - New York in Kodachrome (1966-1967)

Street-Photos-of-1960s-New-York-in-Kodachrome-by-Tod-Papageorge-18-1200x807.jpg

Street-Photos-of-1960s-New-York-in-Kodachrome-by-Tod-Papageorge-14-1200x675.png

Street-Photos-of-1960s-New-York-in-Kodachrome-by-Tod-Papageorge-4-1200x800.jpg

Street-Photos-of-1960s-New-York-in-Kodachrome-by-Tod-Papageorge-1-1200x800.jpg

New York in Kodachrome (1966-1967) - Flashbak

Taking a walk around the Lower East Side now - boy has the place been sanitised, gentrified and had most of its character stripped out. I still like NY but at the moment it feels like I've to meet an old punk rock musician friend and he's turned up in a power suit and an office-friendly haircut.

capital finds another way to monetize life.

The massive 'Vessel' is the honeycomb-like crown jewel of Hudson Yards, which officially opened on Friday. It's been compared to a giant Shawarma, a comically-oversized pine cone, a rejected M.C. Escher fever dream, and a "$200 million staircase that doesn’t actually take you anywhere." Whether you think it is an out-of-place eye sore or the next great public art installation, there's no doubt that it was purposefully designed to lure in millions of visitors a year and inspire an infinite number of selfies and Instagram photos. But here's something to keep in mind if you do decide to go get that picture: simply by visiting the Vessel, you are granting the Vessel the rights to use all of your Vessel content.

In the Hudson Yards Terms & Conditions, which you very likely have not read closely, there are two notable and exceptional clauses which state that by creating, posting or uploading any content depicting or related to Vessel, they have the right and license to use your content however they see fit in perpetuity. Likewise, if you merely appear in a photo with the Vessel, they also have the right to use your name, likeness, voice, and all the rest for any commercial purpose they see fit in perpetuity.

PSA: The Hudson Yards 'Vessel' Has The Right To Use All The Photos & Videos You Take Of It Forever

I’ve been reading about the whole Hudson Yards thing recently, it sounds appalling.

yeh, it is.

it was built over railroad yards, a piece of the old industrial new york, not just new york, but the old industrial manhattan. now, my aesthetic/political opinions don't have to control what anyone else does (though they should), but the whole project, instead of being something of use to the working people who make the town go, is another social engineering project, bringing in "high net worth individuals" and catering to their requisites.

this sort of thing is picking up steam fast in my own neighborhood (just east of the reservoir that editor posted pix of). lots of buildings, some 130 years old (like my own walk-up) and part of the original wave of brick building in yorkville (a very few clapboard houses remain here from earlier than that, would you believe) are being leveled and their tenants displaced - most of them elderly and on fixed incomes - to make way for the same sort of social engineering.

it makes my blood boil.

Back
Top Bottom