Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

West coast road trip (Seattle/Portland/San Francisco/Los Angeles) - any tips?

The year before last, I was invited on a road trip, we did San Francisco to LA and back again. It's extraordinary, to say the least. Bearing in mind that SF serves the finest and most potent weed on this earth, the following is recalled in a sweet haze (Indica I think... smiles to self for a few minutes)

If you can, in San Fran go and see the redwoods. That changed my life. OK.

We went down Highway 101 from SF, which is the windy, coastal cliff-top route. I was trepidatious about it, but being gently stoned out of my tiny mind helped, and I wasn't driving anyway, all I really had to do was fall to a fiery death off a cliff should the need arise.

We stayed a night at Morro Bay (big volcanic rock about half way down to LA) and then we cheekily diverted inland to drive for one very long day, to the Nevada Desert, where we stayed a few nights in a silver Slipstream on an artists campsite, camp fire, guitar, stars forever, did I mention they do weed in California? They do weed in California.

After a few days in that weird environment, we went to the next, and stayed four nights in Beverly Hills, at an Airbnb I didn't ask the price of, we had to do the Chinese Theatre (tick) and the balcony where Richard Gere pulled down the stairs to reach Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (yeah, I'm gay) and we went to the old, ruined LA zoo, it's only the cages left now the animals are gone, but it's a creepy/beautiful relic of another time, with cool graff. I would recommend that, as nobody else seemed to know it was there, and I like quiet places.

And we did a load of streets and locations from Grand Theft Auto near Santa Monica pier, that was fucking awesome, the beach and the hat shop which is actually there. Loads of good street art in that beach area, and fit people roller-blading. Did we stand out?? Like two punks in a nunnery.

I didn't see the Manson Murder House, but I did see the very pavement outside the Viper Rooms where River Pheonix stiffed out, blue in the face from too much fun, so that was nice.

Hollywood is much like the rest of America, in that you can imagine it being absolutely, heavenly beautiful when it was just Native Americans there. I thought that a lot about America.

And then we did a long drive up the interior of the state back to SF, through the hundreds of miles of industrial wasteland, cattle farms, the reek of shit, the theft of water and the rape of the soil, for thousands and thousands of square miles of row after row of identical produce created by water they can't afford. It's a scary fucking mess.

But by this point, officer, I had become over-tired through excitement, and slept all the way to San Francisco. And if that isn't a song it fucking should be.

Oooh, just remembered we also stopped on the way down to see a famous seal colony. They smell atrocious, they don't like us, I didn't like them. And they don't even clap on command. 1/5, wouldn't bother.
God I really want to do this now.

That's definitely on our to-do list - do you remember whether you went anywhere specific that you'd recommend?

I've checked with the nice lady who took me, and we went to the Muir Woods for an elevated treetop tour, from park ranger botanist types, who explained the whole thing with such poetry and finesse, with respect to the native legends down to the way the trees water each other in a root network. And the need for fire. There are a few tours on offer, all over, but the Muir Woods has a great visitor centre to start and finish at, and is all accessible.

If you're strapped for time, there's also a ring of Redwoods in the Chinese Gardens in San Francisco, which is free to visit. They do scout jamborees and hippy love circles there, I did both.

But the best trees are the old ones on the guided walks, they're quite simply magnificent forms of life, and they make you feel as ephemeral as a gadfly.

1000004933.jpg

It's yer fella at the Bixby Bridge on the coastal road, I've parachuted under this bridge many times, to get to the speedboat I've stashed by the beach ahead of time. Never though I'd get to stand next to it though.

1000004932.jpg
This was the Slipstream we stayed in the desert. Freezing fucking cold at night, wouldn't wanna live there.
1000004943.jpg
There are huge amounts of this out the right hand window heading South.
1000004938.jpg
And huge amounts of this, out of the right side window, driving back north inland.
1000004942.jpg

Attachments

• 1000004937.jpg
    1000004937.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 2
You've sent me on a Google timeline memory hike now, I love it!! I'd forgotten a lot of these moments... 😍

I love how their "historic bridge" dates all the way back to 1932, bless their little hearts! 😂

I did this trip about 5 years ago and it was amazing.
Highlights were:
I did a bloody brilliant walking beer tasting tour in SF. Great way to see the city and after you've tasted about 20 different beers you've made a group of new friends.

Drive from SF to Yosemite, through the mountain pass and down the east side of the Sierra Nevadas into the desert - unbelievable scenery and everything looks like it's been made in HD.

Big Sur is as stunning as its advertised and Nepenthe for a quick drink or lunch allows you to take it all in

In LA you must go to the Griffith Observatory! It's free and fascinating with stunning views over LA and the Hollywood sign. If you are feeling energetic park at the bottom of the canyon and walk up. If you drive up parking is limited but only costs a few dollars.

Muir woods - what can I say, Wookey has said it all. Like nothing you've ever seen before.

I'm jealous. I want to go back!

Back
Top Bottom