Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York photos and general chat

from there:

uploads%2F2017%2F10%2F16%2Fnewyorkinmotion_5.jpg

apparently, rolling the hoop was played from roman times. that picture is from 1886, but when i was growing up in the 1960s, i knew nothing about it, never saw anyone playing it nor heard of it. did it really go away that quickly?

I'd heard of it before, seem to remember seeing pictures of Victorian children in the UK rolling a hoop.
I think it probably died out in the early 1900s - certainly didn't see it in my childhood.

Have you visited the site recently? I've passed by that big globe and always wanted to take a look around to see what's left.

the unisphere, from the 1963-4 world's fair, where i spent many, many hours at the sufferance of my weary mother:
1200px-Unisphere_%26_Park_2015.jpg

what's left at the site (flushing meadows park) is that globe and the new york state exhibition, which features at the end of Men In Black, and which had a giant map of NYS on the ground

New_York_Worlds_Fairgrounds.jpg

see also New York World’s Fair | AbandonedNYC

i was in the automat at 42nd and 3rd ave lots:
randomness | Remembering the Horn & Hardart Automat.

it was on the corner of the block where the Daily News building was, which I was also in lots:
Inside the Daily News Building
Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: News Building
those pictures doesn't give the full idea of how cool the lobby was. it has a bank of meteorological equipment and the floor had tiles like these:

2258798767_5cd715ef8e_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom