Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York photos and general chat

Cheers for your kind comments. *Really* appreciated. ;)

I bought a book on Hopper's work recently and I was surprised to find the sometimes striking similarities in the kind of subject matter (not that I'm claiming to be anywhere near as good as the man himself!).

Some photos from around Williamsburg:

williamsburg-brooklyn-16.jpg

williamsburg-brooklyn-18.jpg

williamsburg-brooklyn-22.jpg

williamsburg-brooklyn-31.jpg

williamsburg-brooklyn-36.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/photos/newyork/williamsburg-brooklyn-photos-2.html
http://www.urban75.org/photos/newyork/williamsburg-brooklyn-photos.html

editor do you only use your own photos for the urban75 site? Or do you use submissions aswell?

I worked there for two years on and off, so quite a few times back in the day. I've only been once since 2008 though.

Wonderfull city - been obsessed with it (especially the subway) for over 30 years - havent been for 2 years+ , but planning and daydreaming .......(and reading)

I worked there for two years on and off, so quite a few times back in the day. I've only been once since 2008 though.

I was bloody there at the same time as you once in 2007 and trying to get over to the offline in Brooklyn. Only it was the same night as the Hatton v Mayweather fight and by the time it was all over it was pointless trying to make it down.

I really wanted to get over in December because I love New York around Christmas, but I fear it's not going to be possible this year :(

were you just here?
ps i've seen low clouds around the ESB, it's quite dramatic if you're directly below it

Some more photos, this time based around a night theme:

new-york-night-photos-1.jpg

new-york-night-photos-3.jpg

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/new-york-city-at-night-seven-nocturnal-photos/
I really like this second one. I imagine there's been some work done post but I particularly like the clear, sharp and bright shine from the cars parked on the right. Was this exposure a case of banging up the ISO, setting a smaller aperture with a fast shutter speed? I am a complete novice and although I've had a very usable Panasonic DMC FZ7 for several years, I've never used it other than with the preset settings but I would really like to be able to get to use it to its full potential.

Cheers

I really like this second one. I imagine there's been some work done post but I particularly like the clear, sharp and bright shine from the cars parked on the right. Was this exposure a case of banging up the ISO, setting a smaller aperture with a fast shutter speed? I am a complete novice and although I've had a very usable Panasonic DMC FZ7 for several years, I've never used it other than with the preset settings but I would really like to be able to get to use it to its full potential.
There's was no real fiddling about at all - just a resize and unsharpen filter.

Here's the original image as it looks straight out of the camera (and its file properties):

nyc.jpg

I went on an interesting journey around the upper reaches of Manhattan and The Bronx at the weekend.

One of the places I was pleasantly surprised to discover was The Cloisters, located in Fort Tryon Park, Washington Heights. A museum which overlooks the Hudson, built from disassembled medieval French abbeys, shipped over to NY and reconstructed in the early 20th century. It's such a world away from the architecture of the rest of the area, you'd could almost forget you were in Manhattan.

945385_541951562508897_357018077_n.jpg

1044670_541951649175555_1998382766_n.jpg

1004075_541951809175539_1474616862_n.jpg

Cheers
There's was no real fiddling about at all - just a resize and unsharpen filter.

Here's the original image as it looks straight out of the camera (and its file properties):

View attachment 35896
Those figures were quite surprising to me at first glance (I'm also a novice photographer really). The aperture is wide open but the depth of field seems very deep. I guess this is explained by the 24mm lens? The shutter speed is not at all fast (that's got to be a tripod shot, right?), but the traffic seems to have been frozen in place. My guess is that the lights have just changed and the cars are slowed almost to a halt. You can see motion blur on some of the pedestrians and the cyclists. Also - no need for a really high ISO because of the other exposure factors. (You more or less got every aspect wrong diond :p, but I would have too!).

The auto white-balance is interesting too. The golden cast from the streetlights is unnatural, but contrast well with the upper part of the picture where the wb read seems more natural.

The depth of field is quite sharp because it's a wide angle lens and everything in the distance - and small sensors don't offer much depth of field anyway.

it was hand held.

Ah yeah, small sensor too. I was doing my thinking in full frame mode. That's a low shutter speed for hand-held, no? You must have a steady hand.

I also took this shot of lower Manhattan the other day, with the nearly complete One World Trade Centre on the left. Oddly, it doesn't look all that impressive from this angle, but side-on and from a distance you can see its quite magnificent and noticeably the tallest building in NY.

1044922_541952065842180_1703131088_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom