Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

please tell me about your ties with the new york mafia

I don't get why people are so fascinated by these scum. I couldn't imagine a succession of blockbuster movies glorifying the miserable exploits of current-day Albanian people-smuggling drug gang bosses in the UK for example.

What's the attraction?

I don't get why people are so fascinated by these scum. I couldn't imagine a succession of blockbuster movies glorifying the miserable exploits of current-day Albanian people-smuggling drug gang bosses in the UK for example.

What's the attraction?
audacity. if you see it as one big story, it involves - drama, tension, plot twists, "characters", style, some of the weirdest values around "honour" etc, all in teh mix. surrounding the "story" is also the painting of the neighbourhoods themselves, often fascinating in their own right. nostalgia. but the main thing i would say is "audacity" - the intrigue in that there are some people who literally live in paralel moral universes.

but after all that, they are fundementally, to teh core, scumbags. tehre is no way round that. none of the "socio economic" passes that criminals will often, rightly, get just don't apply to teh majority of these chaps, after reading about their lives. it's a gentlemens club, not some liberating arc from "conditions" that can apply to much criminality.

Last edited:
always without reservation and qaulifiers, a GOOD THING when they get sent to prison for the rest of their lives for the murderers etc in the mob. Calus in the extreme. A lot of them folk in that vid will kill you for being late on a debt, etc.

What's the attraction?

good question. i imagine that the idea that "they live by their own rules" is a big part of it. when gravano flipped, his quote was "i'd like to switch governments."

Might have cracked the case from another angle and worked their way back to the accountant.

mate, don't get me started - there is sooo much good mob content on youtube. i am proper addicted to teh interviews. i have never been to new york, but i am now intimately familiar with places like bensenhurst, howards beach, bath avenue, canarsie. it's like entering another world and because the interviews are long you really get an authentic picture (of how it was back then - they reckon it was all pretty much over by early 2000s). i listen and picture the hustle and bustle of the neigborhoods, the social clubs, teh coctail joints, the boring suburbia but with this strange under current. i've even walked the neighborhood of roy fucking demo on google maps :(

i must have watched about 200 hours of mob content on spotify and youtube :rolleyes: it's not the blood and guts of it all, it's the sheerAUDACITY of "that life" which is such a pull i think on an entertainment level.

say what you like about the police, but what struck me is that it was good policiing that really fucked them. the RICO laws were genius. Take out one guy, take out the whole family.

I once ate a (very good) Italian dinner in a restaurant in NYC often patronised by made men - by invitation of a regular eater there, who had no connection at all to the Mob himself but was well known to the staff. (It had seen several attempts on people's lives.) This was back when NY was not nearly as cleaned-up as now and I was travelling with a briefcase full of valuable (not illegal) demo samples of silverware and jewellery. One the way to the restaurant I wibbled on nervously to my host about whether it was safe to bring the goods inside with me. "Oh, don't worry", he said, all deadpan like, "just leave it in the car - you don't even have to hide it in the trunk - it will be safer in the parking lot here than it would be in any other spot in the city." :eek:
This was true - vehicle and goods left untouched, a great 5 course blowout for ridiculously little money, no blood shed on any of the people eating. The people watching was pretty amazing, dons & goomahs out of central casting.

Last edited:
my school hired a math teacher this year named
Gambino
so the students better not mess with him or it's badda-boom badda-bing for little Joey.
Still obsessed, there’s so much content out there. Not even sure why I am. I think I’ve heard probably 50 interviews with former mobsters. "I grew up in Brooklyn, my father was a hard working man but my uncle was a made man..." that's a kind of classic intro. And because the interviews are like 2-3 hours, that's it, i am off. I lay there completly absorbed. The "neighborhoods" they describe also compelling - long before online shopping, strip malls, etc. There's something utterly disconcerting about an otherwise articulate, polite, well groomed, often highly intelligent person talking for three plus hours about a life almost totally dedicated to crime, swindelling, robbery, drug dealing, murder. I have no "liking" for them though, there's often something fundementally rotten there too. But compelling yes.

i only get this with the NYC italian american mafai, have zero interest in other gangs. what's wrong with me. is it the clothes?

petee are there still predominantly italian american working class neighbourhoods in new york, or have they mainly moved out?

I am in witness protection after getting innocently caught up in a web of intrigue, extortion and murder woven by the Calabrian mafia, the ‘Ndrangheta
I was only asking for some ‘nduja, one thing to led to another, until I suddenly found myself holding a smoking gun over the corpse of Dino Ascioti, the revered but feared scion of one of the four families.
And now I can never go back to Milan :(

petee are there still predominantly italian american working class neighbourhoods in new york, or have they mainly moved out?

oh yes, the smae places, italian harlem, little italy, ozone park, arthur avenue, the demographic percentages have changed so they're not as italian, but they're still italian.

e2a a recent real estate listing

Last edited:
oh yes, the smae places, italian harlem, little italy, ozone park, arthur avenue, the demographic percentages have changed so they're not as italian, but they're still italian.

e2a a recent real estate listing

Howard Beach is another one they mention a lot that still today has lots of mobsters

Last edited:
Still obsessed, there’s so much content out there. Not even sure why I am. I think I’ve heard probably 50 interviews with former mobsters. "I grew up in Brooklyn, my father was a hard working man but my uncle was a made man..." that's a kind of classic intro. And because the interviews are like 2-3 hours, that's it, i am off. I lay there completly absorbed. The "neighborhoods" they describe also compelling - long before online shopping, strip malls, etc. There's something utterly disconcerting about an otherwise articulate, polite, well groomed, often highly intelligent person talking for three plus hours about a life almost totally dedicated to crime, swindelling, robbery, drug dealing, murder. I have no "liking" for them though, there's often something fundementally rotten there too. But compelling yes.

You may like some of the Dodge Woodall interviews on youtube.

I was a waste management assistant for the council for a bit. This gave me loads of excuses to legitimately say, like Tony Soprano, that I was 'in the waste management industry'.

I had hoped that whenever I went into the office, everyone would go 'Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, there he is,' but sadly, this wasn't the case. :(

As is often the way with councils, when my temporary contract ended, they tried to rehire me a couple of months later. This allowed me to legitimately go:

giphy.gif

Those, as far as I know, are my only links to the mob.

Back
Top Bottom