Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York photos and general chat

dunno, tbh. if the subways are running, why not the holiday train?
by the way, are you familiar with the ERA? i have a few, long-ago connections with it.

Yes , thanks know a bit about ERA and a good friend from the Bronx is sending me next year's special subway calender !

I suppose it would be regarded as a "diversion" when the system is just a bit cash strapped , even though I understand a lot of the preparation is done voluntarily by interested and loyal staff. Shame though - as it gets quite a lot of good PR for the city and the subway. Just glad I came over last year for the Brighton Beach fest , and to get an R32 back from Hoyt on our final trip on the system............

Some good news at last!

By December, they were behind on $395 million of debt backed by mortgage bonds, almost 150 times the level a year earlier, according to Trepp data on commercial mortgage-backed securities. Tenants in rent-stabilized units owe at least $1 billion in rent and wealthier ones are fleeing the city, leaving behind vacancies and pushing newly-built luxury towers into foreclosure.

For years, as crime dwindled and rent climbed in New York, investors gobbled up apartment buildings. But with the city’s economy and culture crushed by Covid-19, mounting job losses have derailed the gentrification boom and put financial pressure on landlords.

“The people who specialize in mortgage workouts are the busiest people in New York real estate,” said Barry Hersh, a clinical associate professor of real estate at New York University.

The developers who are in the most trouble pushed hard into Harlem and the Brooklyn hipster hubs of Crown Heights, Flatbush and Bushwick, squeezing out working-class residents by building new expensive units. Now, they’re grappling with eviction bans and new tenant protections as rent falls across New York.

The developers who are in the most trouble pushed hard into Harlem and the Brooklyn hipster hubs of Crown Heights, Flatbush and Bushwick, squeezing out working-class residents by building new expensive units. Now, they’re grappling with eviction bans and new tenant protections as rent falls across New York.

this is my worry for the extension of the 2nd avenue subway. it's brought unwelcome development to my neighborhood (yorkville), but not wholly out of line. however, east harlem (not the harlem mentioned above, but the one immediately north of yorkville) is a completely low-rise area. the average market rent drops by half north of 96th street. there are some modern buildings but in line physically with the tenements. if SAS is built out north, which is the plan, it certainly would be a great transit convenience, but it would bring a real-estate revolution with it. but it's not my place to tell the people in the barrio what to want.

"That will open up the East Side all the way up to Harlem for new, exciting possibilities."
new, exciting possibilities, eh.

(just to add, i am one of the beneficiaries of the new tenant protections.)

Superb stuff:

View attachment 252369

View attachment 252370

View attachment 252371

View attachment 252373

thanks, those are great.

i have this turn of mind where i think that scenes i see in b&w are from A Previous Age, might as well be old rome or whatever. this despite that fact that early snaps of me are in b&w. but colorization really humanizes things. the couple in the first picture would look smashing today even, and not out of place (in our postmodernist world etc.). i wish i could wear a boater like that.

Starting to look a little ugly with all these modern but will look shit in 20-50 years time scrapers compared to the iconic builds.

today's evocative NYC picture.

hudson.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.jpg

I remember walking down this super-sleazy street in the 80s and seeing a cockroach the size of a big mouse!

New York 42nd Street in the 1980s

New York 42nd Street in the 1980s

This is one of my favourite New York films. It came out in 1981. It is far superior to the 2011 remake starring Russell Brand:

Truly wonderful -I have that book and much enjoyed over the years being a (truly) subway obsessive. Kudos for his work and making such a good record of the times. A brave man in many respects , - but then so were not just the riders, but those staff who took out the no 2 train to Flatbush Avenue (say) on the "midnight" shifts.

A different era all right. Well recorded.

I'm going to have another go at posting this - link didn't seem to work well last night :hmm:
This is a full length film (2013) I watched about street photographers in New York which I thought was very good.

I'm hoping it won't come up with just the age warning on it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom