Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

The Waterfront has one as well. Most pubs seemed to have discovered some outside space since the smoking ban :D

It's been a year since I left Streatham. How is the big Tescos development where the ice rink used to be coming along?

<snip>It's been a year since I left Streatham. How is the big Tescos development where the ice rink used to be coming along?

As far as I could see last time I went past on the bus (a couple of weeks ago) they appear to be prioritising the flats. :rolleyes:

The Waterfront has one as well. Most pubs seemed to have discovered some outside space since the smoking ban :D

It's been a year since I left Streatham. How is the big Tescos development where the ice rink used to be coming along?

oh I had something through the door which said the pool would be open this year. W. Norwood next Spring. Very excited at 2 new pools opening.

Are there any pubs with good beer gardens in Streatham ?

The Greyhound has a big garden. Unfortunately it's not open 'til 5.00 (I think) and the it's a soulless shithole with staff who really look as if they're like to be somewhere else.

Not sure I noticed the beer garden at the Railway plurker. Are you talking about the one down Greyhound Lane? I sat on tables outside the other week though. Had some lovely chips (although a tad on the pricey side)

Not that I can think of. Pied Bull next to Sainsburys has a beer garden but it has all the ambience of, well, the Sainsbury's Car Park right next to it. Ooh actually the Leigham Arms on Sunnyhill Road has a beer garden. I loved that pub in the late noughties, then it went a bit shit after the smoking ban. Haven't been back in about three or four years now so not sure what it's like these days. It's an old school boozer though, so if you prefer something a bit 'trendier' there's Pratts & Payne at the top of the road. Thinking about it, that used to have a beer garden when it was a Firkin pub, so probably still does now. See I"'m talking out my arse, it's a beer garden frenzy in Streatham!!

Oh, someone told me about that pub recently and said it's one of the few old school boozers still around. Will have to take a visit one day, although most of the time I end up in Taylor's for a swift half

The one saving grace (apart from cheap beer!) of the otherwise dismal Wetherspooon pub in central Streatham, the Holland Tringham, is its beer garden.

You should tried forcing the surly bar staff of a few years ago to grudgingly assist with the wheelchair lift.

There's a wheelchair lift? And surly staff? It'd take a braver or more bloody minded person than me to try that combination along with a person who can't manage steps or stairs but isn't in a whelchair. :(

There's a wheelchair lift? And surly staff? It'd take a braver or more bloody minded person than me to try that combination along with a person who can't manage steps or stairs but isn't in a whelchair. :(

Yeah. Obviously I didn't need it as he wasn't in a wheelchair, but couldn't be arsed with the steps either, but you have to go down the steps to get to the bar :facepalm:

Yeah. Obviously I didn't need it as he wasn't in a wheelchair, but couldn't be arsed with the steps either, but you have to go down the steps to get to the bar :facepalm:

Aboriginal Streathamites know you have to go down the steps to get to the bar as they remember the steps to get down to the wallpaper department when that place was still Fads.

Aboriginal Streathamites know you have to go down the steps to get to the bar as they remember the steps to get down to the wallpaper department when that place was still Fads.

God, I remember when it was Fads! Brixton had a Fads as well didn't it, but I can never remember which side of the road as there were two decorating shops almost opposite each other

I went to Pratts and Payne last night.
Despite the slightly wanky Shoreditch - style mismatch furniture that you see everywhere 'hip' these days, I thought it was a nice pub with a really good selection of real ales and ciders. And Fruli on tap! Nomnom.

Then we went to Bravi Ragazzi, which I have to say, was the best pizza I've had outside Italy, no messing! (the best pizza I had was in a tiny workman's cafe in Bari, Puglia - i will never forget the quattro formaggi dripping from the perfectly thin base with a tiny, crispy crust).

Anyway, Bravi Ragazzi is almost as good as that. Definitely the most authentic (southern Italian style) pizza I've had here. A lovely little restaurant, very friendly staff, cheap and atmospheric (we were practically sitting in the kitchen!).

Loved it, highly recommended.

yeah.. we've been very impressed by Bravi Ragazzi - super friendly - amazing pizza, so so fresh and yummy. Some nice restaurants popping up in Streatham these days.

I went to Pratts and Payne last night.
Despite the slightly wanky Shoreditch - style mismatch furniture that you see everywhere 'hip' these days, I thought it was a nice pub with a really good selection of real ales and ciders. And Fruli on tap! Nomnom.

Then we went to Bravi Ragazzi, which I have to say, was the best pizza I've had outside Italy, no messing! (the best pizza I had was in a tiny workman's cafe in Bari, Puglia - i will never forget the quattro formaggi dripping from the perfectly thin base with a tiny, crispy crust).

Anyway, Bravi Ragazzi is almost as good as that. Definitely the most authentic (southern Italian style) pizza I've had here. A lovely little restaurant, very friendly staff, cheap and atmospheric (we were practically sitting in the kitchen!).

Loved it, highly recommended.

they do a nice Sunday roast in Pratt's and Payne...

The Greyhound has a big garden. Unfortunately it's not open 'til 5.00 (I think) and the it's a soulless shithole with staff who really look as if they're like to be somewhere else

Despite this it's an OK beer garden, thx for the tip, It hasn't been messed around with like the Duke of Edinburgh etc

Not sure I noticed the beer garden at the Railway plurker. Are you talking about the one down Greyhound Lane? I sat on tables outside the other week though. Had some lovely chips (although a tad on the pricey side)

Tables outside to the front, aye, but if you go thru the bar, to the RHS dining room ,there's an enclosed garden - tables, decking, trees in pots. Look:

7.jpg

Oh, and i was in contact a while back with the ppl managing the leisure centre part of the new Streatham Hub who say they're on course for opening Nov 4th.

Tables outside to the front, aye, but if you go thru the bar, to the RHS dining room ,there's an enclosed garden - tables, decking, trees in pots. Look:

7.jpg

Oh, and i was in contact a while back with the ppl managing the leisure centre part of the new Streatham Hub who say they're on course for opening Nov 4th.

Really? You have to walk through the restaurant bit to get to the garden? That's handy to know. They all seemed very middle class types in the restaurant, but for those prices....

The chips were lovely though :D

Thanks for tip. Definitely liked it more than The Greyhound

Really? You have to walk through the restaurant bit to get to the garden? That's handy to know. They all seemed very middle class types in the restaurant, but for those prices....

The chips were lovely though :D

Thanks for tip. Definitely liked it more than The Greyhound

There was, when I went in, a big sign saying ' TO THE BEERGARDEN' - maybe have a look for that :p
It's alright, the Railway, but I rarely get to it, as it means going further from my house than to get to the Ferrers, which is where I usually end up!

There was, when I went in, a big sign saying ' TO THE BEERGARDEN' - maybe have a look for that :p
It's alright, the Railway, but I rarely get to it, as it means going further from my house than to get to the Ferrers, which is where I usually end up!

I knew there was an empty bench outside on the side road, and it was the only one left, so as soon as I got my drink from the front, I walked through entrance to restaurant and straight out the side door :oops:

We tried out Addomme today and it was absolutely bloody delicious. It's not very cheap (not outrageously expensive either) but the ravioli caprese we had was incredible. All very very fresh, made on the premises. They have a massive wood fired pizza oven - we also had a lovely pizza. They are super friendly and welcoming. Gaijinboy had a tiramisu and claimed it the best he has had in ages (he's often disappointed in tiramisu) and the kids had these doughnut things covered in nutella that we snaffled rather a lot of. It's currently BYO whilst they wait for a licence, so that kept the price down.

As far as I could see last time I went past on the bus (a couple of weeks ago) they appear to be prioritising the flats. :rolleyes:

From what I gather, the leisure centre should be open at the beginning of November (I'm sure I read somewhere it's the 4th) but the flats will not be finished until next spring. Tescos will open after the leisure centre, but before the flats. If this is the case, it's nice to know they do have their priorities straight. I for one can't wait to see the new leisure centre as I love skating!

I've recently moved to a place just round the corner from Greyhound Lane - was up by the shops on the High Road before. I'm really impressed by the small cluster of shops and amenities on Greyhound Lane and Streatham Vale and it's a much more pleasant environment than the High Road.

I'd highly recommend Funky Medusa for hair cuts as they are well priced compared to most other salons in the London area and did a good job. Plus across the road is a lovely Bulgarian/Italian restaurant called Perpericon which is delicious and also very cheap! I think think this move was the right choice, it's so lovely down here!

Ice Rink and Leisure Centre

Vinci/Tesco/Lambeth said:
The target date for handover to Lambeth/GLL is 9th September. There will then be the agreed 8 week period of fitting out for operation, ready to open to the public on 4th November 2013.

I don't think many people have yet realised what a difference the new traffic lights at the entrance to the rink/Tesco car park are likely to make to traffic south of Streatham station.

We tried out Addomme today and it was absolutely bloody delicious. It's not very cheap (not outrageously expensive either) but the ravioli caprese we had was incredible. All very very fresh, made on the premises.

I echo all of this in spades. Adomme is very good indeed. The pizza / welcome / tiramisu / doughnut things (bombonillo I think) etc are all delish. 8/10.

Re the Hub leisure centre, I was recently chatting to someone who lives on Hambro Rd, who reckoned they were having a vehicle entrance going into the Tesco carpark directly from Hambro Road - which would cause a rat-run from Streatham Common / Estreham road....Surely not though, that'd be nuts... I agree that the additional traffic + lights by the new development are gonna really mess things up. I shall wave at the drivers as I walk past them to the pool :)

Re the Hub leisure centre, I was recently chatting to someone who lives on Hambro Rd, who reckoned they were having a vehicle entrance going into the Tesco carpark directly from Hambro Road - which would cause a rat-run from Streatham Common / Estreham road....Surely not though, that'd be nuts...

It's a service vehicle access only from Hambro Road. There is also supposed to be a reopening of a pedestrian route through to replace the old cut through path that used to run down the side of the Pool.

I went to sit on Streatham Common today. Meant to walk back past the new development and take pictures but forgot and got on a bus instead.

I noticed the old Bedford pub is now a linen shop selling curtains, soft furnishings etc. Better than a hairdressers/mobile phone/nail shop I suppose :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom