Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

right well a few friends now have tried Bravi Ragazzi and said it was amazing - some reviews saying it's better than Franco Manca - so as a public service we have just ordered some as delivery... will report back - really I'd prefer to eat in but needs must... We've gone the extra mile and ordered tiramisu too. :D

boyce da roca has good coffee and all but the service was a bit like ‘Hipsters playacting at running a cafe’. Our two espressos took 25 mins to make. Much prefer Purple or Hideaway.

I go to Purple for their £5 breakfast

They're a bit mean with the butter for the toast though, but otherwise they're fine

right well a few friends now have tried Bravi Ragazzi and said it was amazing - some reviews saying it's better than Franco Manca - so as a public service we have just ordered some as delivery... will report back - really I'd prefer to eat in but needs must... We've gone the extra mile and ordered tiramisu too. :D

how much longer must we wait for the review? ;)

sorry... well gaijinboy has literally just ordered another pizza from them, so that should tell you. Really really fresh ingredients - just gorgeous really. My only caveat is that I think it may have been crispier/lovelier had we gone there to eat. But, it's a different experience to the normal local pizza delivery (which we also like), you couldn't really compare them - and they came really quickly (within 30 mins) and he's been told the same for this time.

<snip>I was also just reading that a lot of the buildings on the high road are going to be illuminated<snip>

Light pollution (as if there wasn't enough of that around London anyway) and increased energy consumption. :rolleyes:

gaijingirl said:

I've never understood why people rave about Franco Manca. Totally underwhelming, and nowhere near as good or authentic as the pizzas you get in southern Italy.

Bravi Ragazzi sounds great!

I've never seen any Italians in Franco Manca - so if they're flocking to Streatham that's a good sign...

brix_kitty said:
Anyone been to Hideaway recently? Any good?

Yes - I'm a bit of a regular, and went last month. Food great, service great, jazz outstanding. I love the place. Diverse crowd, too.

Looks like the library on the High Road is getting a much needed face lift.

I was also just reading that a lot of the buildings on the high road are going to be illuminated

http://paroseprojects.net/wp/?portfolio=streatham-skyline
The old Burtons & Billiards/Job Centre is a smashing deco building which would look lovely with some illumination.

I take the point about light pollution but I think the night sky is long lost in London. In the 70s, I remember standing in the middle of Tooting Bec at night and just seeing the orange glowing sky from the old sodium street lights.. and the odd dramatic blue flash from the train line.

^^ The receptions' crap in the Vale...

In other news: Streatham Festival is this weekend. Mostly free stuff, including some outdoor shizzle on the common in the sunshine. My OH is showing her artwork (along with the other artists in ASC Studios (behind Sainsbury Local Streatham Hill).

And, as I help out on the festival, I got shown round the Bingo Hall the other week - tis reet purty in there!

I've never understood why people rave about Franco Manca. Totally underwhelming, and nowhere near as good or authentic as the pizzas you get in southern Italy.

You are right. I went there for the first time tonight. The pizzas are terrible, really stingy with the toppings and the base is more than a touch heavy.

Diverse crowd, too.

That's one thing I love about living in Streatham, it geniunely is very diverse, whilst it might not have the "cool/urban" appeal of some of our neighbouring areas I do take great comfort in the fact that I can go out for a drink or a bite to eat and know that the crowd will be diverse. That can't be said of some of our neighbouring areas IMHO.

Hello Balbi :)

Went to the Hideaway last night for a family birthday. The food was good. Cocktails a bit weak. We de-camped frm the Manor Arms which had closed it's kitchen (quite rightly, unlike some other eating places in the neighbourhood) because the water was off from Leigham Ct Rd to the Manor Arms.

There is another Neapolitan Pizzeria opening, on the strip down the side of Streatham Hill Station - just up from the legendary Porky's Wine Bar...

It's called Aduomo, or Aduomme or something (it's on my run route; I was going too fast to read the sign properly :D ) and looks like it's pretty close to being ready to open.

Illili, the Lebanese cafe, is fantastic. Great food, great prices, very friendly staff, no charge for BYO.
I have been 5 times since it opened.

Yup, I took the Mrs and the Kids there a few weeks back for the first time and the food and service was great. It was like an upgraded version of "Beyrouths".

Maybe it's just me because it seems to be getting very good reviews...but I haven't been that impressed with Brava Ragazzi.

Been twice, left both times feeling a bit underwhelmed with service and quality of food.

I'll try it out again.

OK...I take back what I said, I tried Brava Ragazzi out again and it was great. Really good service, the staff were very good with the Children and in general very friendly, the Food was lovely too.

Will be visiting again soon. :)

Are there any pubs with good beer gardens in Streatham ?

Not that I can think of. Pied Bull next to Sainsburys has a beer garden but it has all the ambience of, well, the Sainsbury's Car Park right next to it. Ooh actually the Leigham Arms on Sunnyhill Road has a beer garden. I loved that pub in the late noughties, then it went a bit shit after the smoking ban. Haven't been back in about three or four years now so not sure what it's like these days. It's an old school boozer though, so if you prefer something a bit 'trendier' there's Pratts & Payne at the top of the road. Thinking about it, that used to have a beer garden when it was a Firkin pub, so probably still does now. See I"'m talking out my arse, it's a beer garden frenzy in Streatham!!

the recenlty-refurbed Railway, down by Streatham Common has one.
The Leigham Arms has tables on the pavement, but it's a very quiet road ;) Pratts & Payne has a small outdoor space.

Back
Top Bottom