Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Not at all - it could do with plenty of variety and more of it and it does have a fair bit of that already What it doesn't need is more generic high street fodder replacing the nail bars and hair care shops with a Starbucks, Pret et al.

Streatham's problem is what it has always been - the main road. It's just not the nicest of places to go out and about in. Part of me thinks they should knock the Megabowl parade down and put in a low-rise development, set further back from the road for outdoor seating space. The 'planned' development there still looks shite.

Balfe's is good. Service for £60. But they don't take bikes in on a Sat - which you'd think would be the busiest day for them, so I'll continue to go to Apex.

in other SW16 news, Alex Reed (edit -Davies) (Streatham councillor)tweeting about a new Maplin opening up on SHR soon...not sure if that's progress or not...

There is certainly a Twitter consensus that Streatham is getting a branch of Maplins, but there is no Streatham (or Lambeth) councillor called Alex Reed or Alex Reid :confused:

What do Maplins sell?
More or less what Minnie said, but not just gadgets and extension sockets. They do all the connectors, components, power packs, batteries... if you ever need to replace a part of something electrical they've probably got it.

Having just got back from Streatham, I can confirm that there is indeed a Maplin shop opening next door to WH Smiths (where the crappy clothes shop was that turned into an everything under £5 crappy clothes shop).

Oh, and Taylors the pub is having a little market on Sunday where there'll be homemade knitted stuff, mince pies, fascinators and stuff

You can't move for rolled up trousers and tin-tin hair in there. Everyone in there looks like a cabin boy! I shall make a point of pronouncing it 'Boycee da Rocker' in protest!

Ooh and while Streatham is undoubtedly getting all ponced up these days, I was heartened to see a tramp (to use old skool parlance) crashed out in the hedge outside Corner Field (by the bus garage) the other week, with his bare arse hanging out of his trousers and his arms wrapped lovingly round a toaster!

Atta boy!

I think the gentrification/smartening up in Streatham is moving at a nice pace and IMHO a lot of the recent additions serve a purpose. Despite the fact that the high road is an eye sore there is actually a great selection of shops on it that IMHO appeal to a wide range of people. Streatham is a very handy place to live IMHO, especially for practical things such as Food, Health & Eductional Services.

I do agree that the "rolled up" trouser crew is appearing more and more on the High Street...especially since the addition of "Pratts and Paynes" and that "Boyce De whatever it's called" coffee shop. I do think we'll see more of these type places pop up as both appear to be doing very well from what I can see.

More than anything, I'd like the Library in Streatham sorted out, "refurbished" "smartened up", "maintained correctly" etc
The Cinema has also seen better days.

Yeah and wait for the post office to stick a card through your door?
One of the few advantages of living with a more or less housebound person is that cards like that are almost never stuck through the door. :D

They need to sort the Caesers/Megabowl site out that entire strip is looking pretty nasty these days.

I've had a good year thus far with all my Christmas/Birthday shopping. Have only had to pick up 1 item from Blenheim Gardens :D

I had to pick up a parcel from the one at Prentis Road on Saturday now I'm nearer to that depot - 60 people in the queue when I got there, took 45 minutes :eek: . I was OK in warm coat & a good book on the tablet, but most there were freezing their wotsits off.

Back
Top Bottom