Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

They need to sort the Caesers/Megabowl site out that entire strip is looking pretty nasty these days.
Last I heard was a rumour of a budget hotel. Why the fook we need a hotel in Streatham Hill though, is beyond me - not exactly on the tourist map...

There's a 'vintage/retro' shop called Xanadu now open opposite Streatham Station, next to the Hideaway Cafe. Not been open when I've been past, but vintage Santa Playboy in the window drew my eye :) On Twitter they're @pinup401

I hear good reports of Bravi Ragazzi pizza on Sunnyhill Road - very tasty by all accounts. I may venture there this weekend...

And, whilst not truly in the spirit of this thread in that it's way old, but new to me so I'm adding it ;) I can wholeheartedly recommend K&J Garages, also on Sunnyhill Rd.

Illili, the Lebanese cafe, is fantastic. Great food, great prices, very friendly staff, no charge for BYO.
I have been 5 times since it opened.

Illili, the Lebanese cafe, is fantastic. Great food, great prices, very friendly staff, no charge for BYO.
I have been 5 times since it opened.

We went on Mothering Sunday and really enjoyed it. I would say that it did feel slightly amateurish in some ways whilst aiming to be quite a classy place but the staff were charming, we enjoyed the food and BYO is fab of course. We'll definitely go back.

we went to a comedy night there and enjoyed it.. it's very sort of, shiny - felt quite grown up - but we would go back. Haven't been to see any music though.

I've been for Sunday night music a few times. Good fun, decent food, wide range of drinks. The room used for music when I've been has been smaller and less shiny than the neighbouring room used for comedy but I don't know if they always use the same rooms for the same events.

I've been for Sunday night music a few times. Good fun, decent food, wide range of drinks. The room used for music when I've been has been smaller and less shiny than the neighbouring room used for comedy but I don't know if they always use the same rooms for the same events.

I think when we went the music was in the larger room - looked really good to be fair - but still rather grown up. But then I tend to think of jazz as being rather grown up anyway. I wouldn't mind going back for some blues or less jazzy jazz sometime.

Hi all, new to hear!
The best restaurant by far in streatham has to be the Dorchester restaurant, next to the south london press building in leigham court road. Open Tuesday to Saturday 11.30 am till 2pm only. Owned by the same couple for 40 years, all English foods... But very very well cooked. Mainly... Roasts. Beef lamb chicken Liver and bacon fresh fried fish, amazing English deserts, again all home made dishes... Apple crumble. Jelly and ice cream trifles spotted dick, apple fritters, cherry pies.. They only make about 10 fresh portions of everything, when its gone its gone.. Once tried your be back! It's a bit of a time warp, as in laid tables with cutlery, table clothes, waitress has also been there for 25 years... My favourite restaurant in the world... By the way, there are only about 10 main meals and 6 sweets on the menus daily.... The owners get up and go to the market daily at 4 am for fresh meat and veg...

Anyone notice Holland & Barrett has relocated into big new shop near to Greggs?

Yet another new mobile phone shop opening as well

We did a 'battle of the Lebanese' over the extended weekend, primarily cause Ilili was booked out on Fri.
Priced almost identically, both BYO, and with a near-carbon copy menu between the two - it was a hard one to judge.

Verdict:
Ilili wins on: service, olives, bread, atmosphere, aubergine thingy
Beyrouth wins on: falafel, foul maadmass (so so good!), their fish, green lemonade

In a nutshell I'd say Beyrouth better for lunchtime as more cafe-style surrounding, but Ilili - better for evenings.

^^
I've been there twice to buy TV leads, and went back twice to get refunds as the items were cheaper in Argos...It will be useful for LEDs for the car dash mind you, once it's warm enough to work outside!

We did a 'battle of the Lebanese' over the extended weekend, primarily cause Ilili was booked out on Fri.
Priced almost identically, both BYO, and with a near-carbon copy menu between the two - it was a hard one to judge.

Verdict:
Ilili wins on: service, olives, bread, atmosphere, aubergine thingy
Beyrouth wins on: falafel, foul maadmass (so so good!), their fish, green lemonade

In a nutshell I'd say Beyrouth better for lunchtime as more cafe-style surrounding, but Ilili - better for evenings.

I've been meaning to check out Ilili, I've been to Beyrouth a fair few times and I like it. The food and service is great, they are really good with kids too, I have two kids under 5.

Appearance wise, Ilili looks like more of a restaurant, a bit more grown up....I suppose that marries up with your verdict.

I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with Beyrouth but we went very soon after it opened - so maybe they've gotten better. I also found it very echoey/loud in there due to the decor. I preferred Ilili.

We had takeaway from Troy (a mezze) and it was amazing actually. Want to eat in there next.

I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with Beyrouth but we went very soon after it opened - so maybe they've gotten better. I also found it very echoey/loud in there due to the decor. I preferred Ilili.

We had takeaway from Troy (a mezze) and it was amazing actually. Want to eat in there next.

It's still echoey/loud, but we can't have it all can we. ;)

Yeah I have heard some very good reports about Troy, it's the place up on the Hill isn't it a few doors down from those hairdressers? Another one on my list to try.

I had a coffee in Boyce Da Roca and it was bloomin lovely. And yes there was someone in there with a Macbook Pro (I believe it's in the licence agreement for coffee shops). Nice choice of drinks, lovely looking cakes - I'll be going back.

If any of you ever need to go into the Streatham Common branch of Sainsbury's, the ladies' loo has been refitted: 2 cubicles instead of 3 but now they've got a lot more space (and grab rails), not to mention one of the handbasins at a realistic height for children or shorter people.

I hear good reports of Bravi Ragazzi pizza on Sunnyhill Road - very tasty by all accounts. I may venture there this weekend...

A review, of sorts.

Run by 3 Italian brothers, small (20/25 covers) and noisy, no pretensions, just simple bloody amazing sourdough pizza - £7.50 - £10. Peroni £3.50.
The best pizza I've had in the UK, no messing. And 7 mins stroll from my house, which is nice :)
Of the full house last night, probably 80% were Italian.

A review, of sorts.

Run by 3 Italian brothers, small (20/25 covers) and noisy, no pretensions, just simple bloody amazing sourdough pizza - £7.50 - £10. Peroni £3.50.
The best pizza I've had in the UK, no messing. And 7 mins stroll from my house, which is nice :)
Of the full house last night, probably 80% were Italian.

Maybe it's just me because it seems to be getting very good reviews...but I haven't been that impressed with Brava Ragazzi.

Been twice, left both times feeling a bit underwhelmed with service and quality of food.

I'll try it out again.

I had a coffee in Boyce Da Roca and it was bloomin lovely. And yes there was someone in there with a Macbook Pro (I believe it's in the licence agreement for coffee shops). Nice choice of drinks, lovely looking cakes - I'll be going back.

Been there a couple of times, I agree Coffee is great, have eaten in there once, it was OK...kind of felt slightly cheated because of the price of the food.

I do like the place and will support it. I think they have got the balance right, it's stylish, but they do seem to care about the quality of their produce albeit slightly on the expensive side.

it was OK...kind of felt slightly cheated because of the price of the food.
I do like the place and will support it. I think they have got the balance right, it's stylish, but they do seem to care about the quality of their produce albeit slightly on the expensive side.

yeah, i'd agree with that. I had a Sat afternoon coffee and sandwich there a couple of weeks ago (left laptop in bag, did browse Guardian - sorry!). It was great, but I'm not sure Streatham's ready for a £4.95 panino, and you can find equally good coffee in a number of places on SHR...

Yeah I have heard some very good reports about Troy, it's the place up on the Hill isn't it a few doors down from those hairdressers? Another one on my list to try.

We went to Troy on a Friday or Saturday night last year. The best thing I could about the food we had there was that they used the excellent flatbread from the bakery opposite. It was a somewhat of a let down foodwise, and I don't think we finished our meals. Which is rare. There was a really odd atmosphere, with one of the tables being 2 *very* fat men, being very ostentatious with money with 2 very young looking Eastern European girls.

Praps they've changed the cooks, tightened up their act etc.

that's a shame about Troy.. we've only had delivery but it was really really nice on both occasions.

As for boyce da roca... I did go once and was underwhelmed - good luck to them, but I can't see us going there much tbh, although it's beautifully decorated.

that's a shame about Troy.. we've only had delivery but it was really really nice on both occasions.
As for boyce da roca... I did go once and was underwhelmed - good luck to them, but I can't see us going there much tbh, although it's beautifully decorated.

boyce da roca has good coffee and all but the service was a bit like ‘Hipsters playacting at running a cafe’. Our two espressos took 25 mins to make. Much prefer Purple or Hideaway.

Back
Top Bottom