Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Just thinking it'd be nice to have a Streatham drink sometime soon. What days/times/venues?

I'm thinking that a Sunday afternoon/early eve could be good...

I'm up for it, but in all honesty, Sunday is not great for me - I always have to work one day at the w/end so pissing off down the pub the other is not really on the cards - and Sunday evening - again work the next day. If you do end up doing it on a Weds-Sat evening I'll be there though. (and it's not impossible I won't come on a Sunday either). Anyway - not asking you to change it - just replying so you know someone is out there... :D

Reactions: han
Totally understand that! Maybe a Friday or Saturday night better then...
Knowing how absurdly busy some people's diaries get in the run up to Xmas, maybe a January one is an idea.

I think it's closed and I imagine it was a strip club - just from the way it looks.

eta.. hang on - much maligned (I've only seen it in passing). Not a strip club and possibly not even closed down.. :oops:

http://www.porkyswinebar.co.uk

not sure why I thought that...

They use the same logo and name as used in the 80's Porky's films which featured Porky's as a strip bar. I think that's why I've always made the association!

Porkys1.jpg

Both the Tescos and the ice rink/leisure centre are due to open next Monday. Tescos is certainly ready but it looks like a bit of tarting up is still needed for the ice rink/leisure centre.

I nipped to Tescos this morning. Absolutely massive it is. Plenty of space between the aisles. Can't see Morrisons lasting long with this next door.

Someone told me that Asda will use the site currently occupied by the closed Megabowl and Caesers. Is this right? I can't find anything on a quick search online. He claimed no insight, just said he'd read it.

Someone told me that Asda will use the site currently occupied by the closed Megabowl and Caesers. Is this right? I can't find anything on a quick search online. He claimed no insight, just said he'd read it.
Where would people park?

Streatham Leisure Centre this morning!!!
Gym is okay.
But man, where the creche?!!!

And that Tesco, it's the maddest one yet.
Really infuriating to walk around, too busy.

Streatham Leisure Centre this morning!!!
Gym is okay.
But man, where the creche?!!!

And that Tesco, it's the maddest one yet.
Really infuriating to walk around, too busy.

there has been a petition (now closed) to have a creche. It got almost 500 signatures in a reasonably short time. Lambeth said that they would try to provide some kind of creche facilities or service but have not, as yet, said how or when. Don't worry though - there are a lot of Streatham families chasing it up - so fingers crossed.

Where would people park?

That's a fair question! It's probably quite a large site but I wouldn't have thought it's anywhere the size of the Asda sites in the area. Also, while there's been talk of new building there, a huge supermarket would cause extra traffic mayhem.

That's a fair question! It's probably quite a large site but I wouldn't have thought it's anywhere the size of the Asda sites in the area. Also, while there's been talk of new building there, a huge supermarket would cause extra traffic mayhem.

It's a fairly major route so traffic mayhem wouldn't be welcomed.

I suppose they could put the shop up on stilts and have parking beneath, as is done in several Tescos I have seen. Parking at the end of the ABC roads is at a premium so I'd imagine if they levelled the site and put a shopping centre with parking in, a large element of it would be taken up with people using the High Road in general.

I don't think you could put as big a shop in as Tesco Acre Lane.

so I was planning on going for an early morning swim in the new pool tomorrow but they're only opening 3pm-11pm until January. :( Streatham always used to be my pre-work swim before it got knocked down. Hoping to go sometime this week anyway, out of curiosity. Will report back if I do.

<snip>Hoping to go sometime this week anyway, out of curiosity. Will report back if I do.
Please do - anything (within reason) which takes some of the pressure off the Rec's pool has got to be a good thing.

@heroinnesheep and I went to Ililli last week. Amazing.

The best Lebanese food I have ever had, no question. And really friendly people. Highly recommended!

Streatham Leisure Centre

I walked into the pool area and was disappointed with the size. It roughly the same length as the Fitness First in Streatham but with 3 more lanes.

The baby pool is similar to the one in Clapham Common Leisure Centre.

@heroinnesheep and I went to Ililli last week. Amazing.

The best Lebanese food I have ever had, no question. And really friendly people. Highly recommended!
Where's that? :)

and it's BYOB and very kid friendly - we like it lots....

but for the best Lebanese food of all, Meza in Tooting is simply stunning and the atmosphere is great too. The only problem being it has about 5 tables in a tiny tiny space so you have to book...

More proposed multi-storey structures for Streatham<snip>
If they get planning permission for that, I'll be interested to see what happens to the crowds currently filling the courtyard and pavement before and after prayers etc at the mosque.

I walked into the pool area and was disappointed with the size. It roughly the same length as the Fitness First in Streatham but with 3 more lanes.

SLC pool is 25m, Fitness First is 20m. Not been yet but enjoying the fact I have a pool in walking distance again. Tesco can do one, I'll shop in Morrisons until it closes - better quality food.
There's the the odd thing that Mojo doesn't sell which I need, but I can get that in Sainsbury.

Looks absolutely horrible
The buildings across the road and either side of it aren't exactly beautiful either. IMHO it's a bit full on, but quite graceful for a modern style of sacred architecture.

Back
Top Bottom