Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

The buildings across the road and either side of it aren't exactly beautiful either. IMHO it's a bit full on, but quite graceful for a modern style of sacred architecture.
I like it. not worse than the roman catholic Victorian church next door. and 3 major religions within a few yards that's how it should be.

so I got a swim this evening with another urbanite at the new pool. The Leisure Centre is quite swish but it definitely has lots of teething problems and a somewhat unfinished feel to it. The changing rooms is one of those changing villages - but it felt really quite large with lots of group changing areas and a separate buggy park room with cables to lock up the buggies. Enough room for 12. It also seemed to have a good bit of disabled facilities. We didn't get to see the learner pool apart from through a crack in the door. Slightly annoyingly (for me, but probably not for most other people) it is separate from the main pool - but not miles away - separated by the changing rooms. There are 2 round stained glass windows. I was trying to remember if they were there in the old pool and I couldn't. I'm surprised as they immediately stand out - maybe because they are slightly incongruous amongst all the new build/design. I did feel a bit nostalgic for the old stone floor changing rooms and the old pool. Lockers take £1 and the showers were really cold - hope they sort that out. The pool itself was rather warm, but then they tend to be. It has a poolside gallery. 25m pool - I think it was 6 lanes wide.

The rest of the place looked pretty swish. I didn't look too much at the gym, but the sports hall looked good - enough room for 4 badminton courts (or maybe even 5.. forgot to count) - decent clearance around the edge of the courts - so quite spacey. There's a cafe we didn't sample.

The whole timetable seems to be somewhat in chaos at the moment and the guy on the desk was struggling. I've called 3 times now and had different answers to various questions and the information on the website is not reliable it seems.

Hopefully it'll get up and running properly soon though. No early morning swims at the moment, but I'm looking forward to that possibility.

And then W. Norwood pool opening up.

Thanks for the review, gaijingirl. I hate cold showers except in high summer, so I'll give it a miss for the time being.

Thanks for the review, gaijingirl. I hate cold showers except in high summer, so I'll give it a miss for the time being.

I don't think they're meant to be cold.. I think it's probably a teething issue. But I expect I'll go again soon, so I'll update on shower temperature. :D

but what's not good is that Lambeth have given a very disappointing and inaccurate (I hear) response to the petition for a creche at the leisure centre. I think that some kind of demonstration is being planned for the official opening day. A lot of annoyed and disappointed people out there.

Finally signed up after weeks of reading various threads on here.

Im off to the Leisure centre tonight to try one of their group classes. Stupid question, but whereabouts is the main entrance? Ive not seen it when Ive been past.

There are 2 round stained glass windows. I was trying to remember if they were there in the old pool and I couldn't. I'm surprised as they immediately stand out - maybe because they are slightly incongruous amongst all the new build/design.

IIRC the windows were the only part of the previous building that was listed (or the only salvageable part of the listed building) so they had to be incorporated into the new design. Something like that anyway.

I look forward to swimming this weekend.

Summary of Streatham Leisure Centre Gym.

- 75% of the equipment are cardio machines (not as good quality as Life Fitness as they feel more flimsy and plasticky. Only plus is that you can connect your phone onto machines).
- Climbing Frame is a great idea but the 4 sets of TRX ropes attached is daft as there’s not enough space (too close to each other/ concrete wall.
- About 5 metres from the gym entrance are a set of mats. Another dumb idea as the mats get real dirty because of human traffic (yes, people are stupid enough to walk over them).
- The cable machines can quickly become inadequate as they aren’t heavy enough.
- The cable machines also have the wrong hook attachments (incorrect size) and get jammed very easily.
- Not enough area for weights and I can see many people in future dropping weights on unprotected laminate flooring.
- The changing rooms are shit. Real basic with shared showers. No privacy.
- Locker system is the same for swimming pool area at a £1 a shot.
- You will need to wear your wrist band all the time as well as a key wrist thingy.

There are two studios to the gym but the doors were locked.
They look pretty good though.

Not the worse gym I been to and certainly not the best (not as good as Clapham or Brixton).
I only joined as it’s walking distance from my house.

ETA - oh I nearly forgot, there's no weights bench nor barbell in sight!
What kind of a gym has no barbells?

Last edited:
but what's not good is that Lambeth have given a very disappointing and inaccurate (I hear) response to the petition for a creche at the leisure centre. I think that some kind of demonstration is being planned for the official opening day. A lot of annoyed and disappointed people out there.

so it's not officially happening?

went to the streatham odeon last night to see gravity. like the place, but there was no picture only sound for the first 20 minutes :rolleyes:

so it's not officially happening?

well this is their response:

Thank you for raising the issue of crèche provision at Streatham Ice and Leisure Centre and obtaining 146 signatures (there were nearly 500) towards this petition.

It goes without saying we want as many people as possible, especially local families, to use and enjoy the fantastic new facilities at the leisure centre. We are keen to work with you to find a solution, and if you have any queries or further suggestions to develop this provision, please contact us.

As you are aware, the Streatham Ice and Leisure Centre scheme did not include a crèche facility so, to some extent, we are restricted to the design of the building. However, both the Council and GLL are undertaking further discussions to explore the options to provide crèche provision. In addition, GLL has developed good relationships with local providers and is able to advise parents and carers about local crèche facilities. We appreciate this is not the ideal scenario from your petition but we will continue to assess options for greater provision within the centre with GLL.

In terms of the accessibility of the Centre programme, GLL will continue to develop a wide range of programming activities. Some of these activities are outlined below. These activities will be gradually introduced as GLL stage the opening of this facility and this will be reviewed regularly by GLL to ensure customers’ needs are being met. There is an extensive junior programme offering a wide range of activities for children, from toddlers to teenagers. For example, activities such as Toddler’s World and parent and infant/toddler swimming lessons involve both adults and juniors as interactive sessions. In the case of swimming lessons, these are available to customers with juniors from three-months old. If you would like further information about this provision, please contact Jeremy Lake, GLL General Manager for this centre, by email Jeremy.Lake@GLL.org.

GLL junior activity programme
• Swimming Lessons - 3months to Adults (GLL have 8 Parent and Infant/Toddler Classes programmed in the timetable at present).
• Toddlers World & Toddlers Ice - Under 5's.
• Football 3 to 12 year olds.
• Basketball 5 to 12 years.
• Gymnastics & Trampolining - From Children walking unaided to 15 years.

The council is proud of the new facility in Streatham, particularly at a time when other local authorities are having to close or cut leisure facilities. I’m sorry your specific desire is not able to be met right now, but I hope you’ll still enjoy the new centre while we explore all the options.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further feedback regarding this matter. The officers responsible for the Centre are Gareth Edmundson and Mark Cook. They can be contacted at GEdmundson@lambeth.gov.uk and MCook2@lambeth.gov.uk.

It is around the back and sides but the foyer area is still unused and could be used for 'something' but I thought the space was too small for proper restaurant kitchen? There were rumours a few years ago that Jamie Oliver had looked at the site pre his first 'Italian' in Kingston.

Also are those pics meant to be the interior? Hard to tell as I've seen no renovation work happening there.

It is the interior. When the block was converted into flats, the developer spent time doing the foyer with a view to renting it. I'd imagine it's a little dustier than that now mind!
Can't see how it'd work for restaurant though - stairs aren't so good for putting tables on so cover-numbers would be lower than you'd need probably to make it financially viable.
Be a very cool bar though, but with residents above noise restrictions would be restrictive...

yep, it's literally only the foyer and stair/balcony area, which couldn't be converted into flats as facade (and perhaps staircase) listed - so they had no option but to try to rent it.

g force said:
My fav part of that Tesco is the unfathomably slow travellator taking you to the second floor...it's as if they don't want you to buy toiletries.

It's got a second floor?!
Fackin ell.

went into the baby/ learning area of the pool over the weekend.
was told that it's only open to the public from 1-5pm! (because of swimming lessons - wtf!).

Also, the baby playing area isn't ready until feb/ march.
they are bringing in more gym equipment including more weights in march.

i'm already asking for a discount to my membership - as i'm paying for stuff that's not there!

Back
Top Bottom