Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Streatham Green is the area top end of Babington Rd, as you say, where they have the Farmers' Market. The market itself never seems to have many ppl buying stuff, but it's quite pricey imho.
We had a letter through recently about works being done to that area, but I only skim-read it so not sure what's being proposed - but it was talking of road closures etc, so it must be quite significant.

Kwikfit - rumours abound about Waitrose sniffing about that site and wanting to develop it - but I think, and hope, they'll stay as rumours tbh - last thing the high road needs is another supermarket! Kwikfit seem to be doing enough business, so not sure they'll be looking to sell up anyway.

I wouldn't mind a Waitrose!!

That farmer's market is completely overpriced, unfortunately. And seems to be less popular as a result (but that might be the weather, also).

That is your typical Waitrose customer. Put a Waitrose into Streatham and Streatham will become like Balham...

Streatham Green is the area top end of Babington Rd, as you say, where they have the Farmers' Market. The market itself never seems to have many ppl buying stuff, but it's quite pricey imho.
We had a letter through recently about works being done to that area, but I only skim-read it so not sure what's being proposed - but it was talking of road closures etc, so it must be quite significant.

I agree that the farmers market by the Mannor Arms is very expensive! does anyone know how the one outside the Railway in Streatham Common compares?

I received some literature through the postbox about a year ago now about the development next to Streatham green. The plan is to pedestrianise the top of babbingdon road where it meets Mitcham lane, create a plaza for the market stalls, additional outside seating for The Manor Arms, create benches going around the already existing trees, maybe plant new ones too, I can't remember. Sounds like things are finally going ahead though which is good!

Kwikfit - rumours abound about Waitrose sniffing about that site and wanting to develop it - but I think, and hope, they'll stay as rumours tbh - last thing the high road needs is another supermarket! Kwikfit seem to be doing enough business, so not sure they'll be looking to sell up anyway.

Yeah I have not ventured down to the farmers market yet. I am not against Farmers Market per say but most of them are unbelievably expensive. I have nothing against sometimes paying premium prices for premium produce but I do get the impression these farmers markets take the piss with their pricing.

Waitrose? Interesting that another Supermarket wants to come into Streatham, I would have thought Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons is more than enough! Not forgetting Iceland and Lidl that are on the main part of the High Road. Where on earth would people park if Waitrose did manage to secure the Kwikfit site? Couldn't see it working, or at least I don't think they would compete with either Tesco or Sainsburys.

Will Morrisons stick around now the Tesco is there? I wonder what impact there has been since it opened given it has more parking and for anyone on foot/getting the bus Tesco is in the prime location.

Will Morrisons stick around now the Tesco is there? I wonder what impact there has been since it opened given it has more parking and for anyone on foot/getting the bus Tesco is in the prime location.

That's a good point, I reckon they will really struggle to compete. I have used Morrisons a few times but wouldn't go out of my to go there. Very average produce and their prices are pretty much on par with Tesco.

I always thought Morrisons was competing with Asda but had noticed over the past year or so that their prices have gone up a fair bit so they pretty much compete with Tesco now.

I still prefer it to Tescos tbh.

We went around the shiny new Tescos, was interested to note that it's actually got a seperate Halal counter. I hope that's not going to affect the lovely El Baraka Halal at the top of the hill.

I hate the Morrisons. I used to live just round the corner from it and I often wanted to stab my self to distract me from the general incompetences of the staff, the seriously messed up self service machines, and in general some of the customers who shop there. because it's quite small, it never had things in stock in larger sizes (thus creating better value for money). I now live a stones throw from Sainsburys and have never, ever gone back to Morrisons!

I agree it's not the nicest physical space and clearly wasn't enough to support a supermarket previously. But i'm not sure what, if anything, could replace it. I've heard/seen the mooted hotel plans...but again, a hotel, there? really?

Cool! Then we are neighbours.

Earl Ferrers is a well decent pub - i really like it in there.
Railway also but that's on the Common end.

Morrisons is shit.
Tescos is better but only slightly.

The dry cleaners by the station are the best.
Don't go to Jimmy the Cobbler to fix your shoes - he closes at the most awkward times and his workmanship is wank.

Cottage Chicken is okay.
Morleys near the Common side is better.

The Leisure Centre is ace.

That's my tip for Streatham :)

Yeah Bravi Ragazzi - better than Franco whatsitsface in Brixton Village.
http://braviragazzipizzeria.co.uk/

My tips for Streatham are
Bravi Ragazzi for pizza (they deliver, which is very dangerous)

El Baraka Halal just down the hill from St Lenoard's Church for their merguez sausages (very good, and about 6 quid a kilo, allthough the beef/lamb ones I prefer to their chicken ones) and North African stuff like cous cous (they've got a range of cous cous from fine to course).

I prefer Morrisons over Tescos, but that's on ideological grounds after one of their senior bods bitched about the levels of other supermarkets tax avoidance schemes.

White Lion's ok, the beer 'jungle'/smoking area's good. I've even been to a gig there (a psychedelic surf band from Brighton who I vaguely know someone in from way way back)

The bakery up at the north end of Streatham high street does great Turkish and Iranian flatbreads, and more 'normal' breads. Avoid their very fatty lamb mince though.

Korona Delicatessen on the high street does very nice cakes (it's a good Polish deli as well). Although their cake section varies, and I really wish they'd start doing that cake which turned out to be chopped nuts and whipped cream on a cake base again.

Addomme just around the corner from Streatham Hill station is a *superb* Italian, I mean really really good.

I thought Beyrouths was very good when we went there (middle eastern food), although I hear Ilili in the north end of Streatham High Street is better (I've not eaten there though).

I quite liked Bar 61 which is a tapas place run by a friendly Lebanese family pretending to be Spanish.

Dorchester just up Leigham Court Road is worth a pop, it's sort of 'nan' style food, with typewritten menus, with all bills added up pen and paper.

There's a good workmen's shoe shop down the hill from St Leonards Church, I'm wearing the Chelsea boots that I got for £30 quid last year right as I type. They also sell steel toe capped trainers as well.

I hear there's a very good French Deli on one of the side roads, but I've not been there yet.

The Hideaway opposite Morrisions is meant to be a top Jazz/food place, but I've not been their yet, and my missus had a bit of a row with them when she was pregnant and nipped in to use the loo and they wouldn't allow her, so us going might have to wait for a bit.

I quite want to check out some of the Somali places around the corner from Morrisons, but I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

There's also a good Turkish greengrocer (Foodway it's called) opposite Phones4U.

I think I've only really scratched the surface of Streatham really, I've only been in Streatham for a couple of years (before that we were in Tulse Hill, and I visited Streatham only infrequently).

*eta* oh and the Indian supermarket opposite Streatham Hill is good, as is the slightly spendy fishmongers just up Leigham Court Road

*eta* *eta*
Kennedy's Fish and Chip shop (also at the Streatham Hill end of Leigham Court Road) is excellent. It seems expensive, until you realise that actually their standard cod and chips will quite easily feed two people. The queues on a Friday night are completely justified.

*eta* *eta* *eta*
The Rookery in Streatham Common is excellent in an ecologically protected space within a park way.

Last edited:
Oh and if you're in the middle part of Streatham you might fall into the delivery area of the branch of Lahore Kebab House in Norbury.

Oh and that Vietnamese place next door to the employment agency with the entertainingly bad cardboard cut outs of 'workers' in the window is meant to be very good as well.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/52/662635/restaurant/London/Tiger-Restaurant-Streatham

Mrs Wongs is meant to be great as well.

We tend to go to Tooting if we want great curry (Lahore Karahi, and Dosa N Chutney, nuff said) though. It's 20 minutes on the bus from Streatham. Plus there's the amazing Pooja there (the only place I've seen proper Gujarati snacks outside of my in-laws)

Last edited:
Def go to The Rookery, walk up the path to the White House for a nice view (well ish as it's Croydon).

Perfect Blend is average. Not bad but nothing to rave about food or drink wise. Waterfront on corner of Greyhound Lane sometimes has decent wine/beer offers with their pizzas. The Common is awesome in the summer.

"The dry cleaners by the station are the best."

Not in my experience. Took a pair of trousers there to be shortened last year and collected them a few days later. Got home and discovered the trousers were exactly the same length as when I took them in, they'd merely wrapped a bit of polythene over them and charged £8.50 for the privilage.

That's the dry cleaners by Streatham station by the way, not to be confused with the excellent dry cleaners near Streatham Hill station.

Perfect Blend is average. Not bad but nothing to rave about food or drink wise. Waterfront on corner of Greyhound Lane sometimes has decent wine/beer offers with their pizzas. The Common is awesome in the summer.

I think why so many people rave about it is that it's very child friendly. I've been there once in the sleep deprived haze of early baby parenthood and they were very accomodating of us and a small wriggly baby. The food was good, but given the amount of other better places in the area I'd probably go else where to eat.

That's the dry cleaners by Streatham station by the way, not to be confused with the excellent dry cleaners near Streatham Hill station.

The one next to chicken shop?
Yes they are excellent.
I was remember the owner getting verbally savaged by this pissed off Jamaican guy (who refused to pay the dry cleaning bill yet still wanted his suit).

Then the owner came rushing out with a metal pole and chased him out of the shop.

As for the one by Streatham Station.
I never had issues with them.
Their tailoring does take a few days mind,.

Last edited:
Probably the one next to the chicken shop, yes, but I'm not too familiar withelse is around there (Streatham Hill). I took some curtains to them a while back and they charged £26 whereas the dry cleaners by Streatham Station had quoted £40.

The Earl Ferrers that you mentioned is good too although I've only been a few times, once to put in an embarrassing performance at the pub quiz.

I love living in Streatham.

To throw in a few more recommendations

For Sunday lunch I love the Railway, Mannor Arms and Pratts and Payne.

Funky Medusa on Greyhound lane is great and reasonably priced for ladies haircuts. Opposite is a really cute restaurant called Perpericon, Bulgarian/Mediterranean. Super cheap, super delicious.

I like the sports stuff on offer on tooting common - the tennis courts and the lido.

Back
Top Bottom