Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

I loathe it, as you can tell by my previous posts on this thread :)

In all seriousness, yes I really like Streatham. It reminds me of the London I grew up in. I like the amount of non chain shops/eateries on the high street. I like being within walking distance to a butchers/bakers/fishmonger/cinema. It's a very unpretentious area. Lots of parks near by.

We live on the Streatham Hill end though. On the edge of one of the first estates built in the UK (built by the Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company between 1898 and 1928), which looks a bit like if you'd got Tim Burton to design an estate, as it's got towers on the corner houses and other gothic touches. It's quite a green area, with a lot of trees and flowers and that, and I've loved walking my baby daughter under the swaying trees in the dead of the night, or pointing out the summer flowers and butterflies to stop her crying.

Last edited:
Same here...it reminds me of the area of Birmingham I grew up in, real mix of people (there are some very, very well off people living in Streatham), random assortment of shops, the green spaces. Has no pretensions about it whatsoever.

a non-exhaustive list of things:

good
:
talay thai
earl ferrers
leisure centre
rookery and the woods of norwood grove
pizza adomme by streatham hill
K&J motors - best garage by a mile
leigham arms
hung's chinese
bravi ragazzi pizza
the deli opposite streatham hill station, no name, blue fronted
british heart foundation record and bookshop
tooting common
wholefood cafe
beyrouth
ilili
kennedy's

average:
pratts and payne
morrison
oishii
i <3 coffee
bar 61
chris's fish bar (common)
fish tale fishmongers
streatham common main bit

bad:
tesco, though I shop there for some stuff morrison doesn't stock. Sainsbury can do one with their inflated prices.
foxtons
people who can't afford to live in balham munching up our flats
cinema

I've lived in streatham, top middle and vale, for 19 years. I guess I must like it then!

average:
pratts and payne

bad:
foxtons

Ah, I quite like Pratts and Payne for Sunday lunch, and I think it's very reasonably priced too!

As for Foxtons, and I know I'm likely to get banished from this place when I say it, but this time last year I was looking to buy a flat in Streatham and Foxtons were by a long mile, much better than any of the other estate agents we used. I'm really grateful they're in Streatham as I think my search would have been a much longer process if it wasn't for them (though I didn't actually buy a property through Foxtons... Oops!)

Def go to The Rookery, walk up the path to the White House for a nice view (well ish as it's Croydon).

Perfect Blend is average. Not bad but nothing to rave about food or drink wise. Waterfront on corner of Greyhound Lane sometimes has decent wine/beer offers with their pizzas. The Common is awesome in the summer.
Sorry but the waterfront is awful, it's rank!

Good things about Streatham:

Three overground train stations
Wholemeal Cafe
Tesco*
Sainsburys
Tooting Bec common
Streatham common
Leisure centre (probably, haven't been there myself)
Streatham Odean (haven't been for years but it's a great looking building from the outside)
Conyers Road pumping station (another good looking building)
Many streets of fine Victorian housing

Bad things about Streatham:
The narrow stretch of Steatham High Road from St Leonards church to Streatham Station.

*Most people on here seem not to like Tesco, but the whole site (including leisure centre and flats ) is far smarter than what was there before... the crumbling swimming baths, the even more crumbling ice rink, the derelict vandalised church hall etc.

We went to Addomme for the first time last night. Loved it. Very friendly, full of Italian families. People were queuing - and lots of people came to get takeaway.

I'd say the pizzas are almost on a par with Bravi Ragazzi - definitely the second best pizzas I've had outside S Italy. (but imo, Bravi Ragazzi are the best). We're definitely going to go again and try some other stuff. The meatball starter looked scrumptious, and lots of people had these paper bags full of some kind of courgette bread ball thing as a starter which I want to try next time.

We live equi-distant between Brixton and Streatham, near the top of Brixton Hill, and we're lucky that we're 15 mins walk from both.

I do prefer shopping and eating out in Streatham more these days tbh (except getting veg from Noor in Brixton Market which can't be beaten on price).

Pleased you brought up Little Italy. Just before Christmas I tried to go to whole foods but it was closed for a christmas party so ended up in
little italy. They really couldn't cope; possibly the worst meal I have ever had. The door was locked and the closed sign up was up abot 20.00 as they couldn't cope. Is it always that bad?

bad:
tesco, though I shop there for some stuff morrison doesn't stock. Sainsbury can do one with their inflated prices.
foxtons
people who can't afford to live in balham munching up our flats
cinema

I've lived in streatham, top middle and vale, for 19 years. I guess I must like it then!

You know, for big shops I go to Sainsburys.
More range and it turns out cheaper.

Little Italy used to be Bocca, and was fantastic; I've not been back since the new name/owners

Purple has closed down - that used to be okay.

Reactions: han
Pleased you brought up Little Italy. Just before Christmas I tried to go to whole foods but it was closed for a christmas party so ended up in
little italy. They really couldn't cope; possibly the worst meal I have ever had. The door was locked and the closed sign up was up abot 20.00 as they couldn't cope. Is it always that bad?
The last time we went there (because my wife had blocked us going to Addomme as she had gone there with her cousin the week before on my recommendation) we had a very average meal, and there was a fly in my glass of wine (which to be fair, they did sort that out very quickly and gave us another bottle).

That Portuguese tapas place, The Castle is ok too.

*Most people on here seem not to like Tesco, but the whole site (including leisure centre and flats ) is far smarter than what was there before... the crumbling swimming baths, the even more crumbling ice rink, the derelict vandalised church hall etc.

It's far better.
I use to go to the old leisure centre and always remember how shit it was...stupid kids outside getting shot or getting beat, use to hear so much craziness while in the gym.

Now it's sterile buildings of 1970s Dystopia.
One thing does bother me though.
What happens when those flats get populated?
will it be possible to board 8.12pm train to Farringdon?
I only 'just' get on now and that's at a squeeze ... :(

Really? It was always so busy. Used to pity 19 being next to them.

yeah, not seen it open since Dec; and @streathamalley - who's on the Streatham BID said y'day on twitter it was closed for good.

Agree the new leisure centre is better than the old; no-one's disputing that...

I know it was in Norbury and I know it's not in running with the thread but very sad to learn this place has now closed down

http://shaheebhelpoori.com/

To be able to take my partner to a restaurant that was a total veggie place was a joy; no worries about rubbish veggie options.

Very pleased to see that my thread is still going strong, 4 years later :)

I am still living the dream in Streatham, but with two extra little ones in the family, so my pyschogeography of the place is altered - now less about places to eat out/drink and more about places to amuse the kids.

Interesting to hear about the opinions on the leisure centre - I have just cancelled my Virgin Gym membership and will be joining the centre to save myself some cash - just hope it isn't the wrong choice. Had a look around - didn't like the changing rooms for the gym part - why on earth are the showers laid out like that? Mrs Hektik was one of the streatham mum's campaigning for the creche at the leisure centre, we are still holding out hope that there will be a good resolution.

I hear there's a very good French Deli on one of the side roads, but I've not been there yet.

The Tour de France, on Sunnyhill Road - is brilliant but pricy (but being about 30 seconds from my house, gets a lot of business). Used to be run by a proper old school French couple, who were miserable and didn't believe in customer service, smiling or engaging in conversation if they could help it. Used to close for lunch, and at other odd times, so you had to time your visit properly.

Unfortunately the lady died, and the husband has sold up and moved back to France. It was going to close entirely, but someone on the street bought it and has kept it open - more cakes, a couple of places to sit and have coffee, and a nice community feel. (but pricier produce). Deli stuff is OK, ham and cheese is nothing you couldn't get at a supermarket, but the pate and sausages are good, lots of French wine and produce.

Back
Top Bottom