Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Work has begun on the Plaza outside the Manor Arms, apparently as has work on installing spotlights to illuminate some of our nicer buildings and monuments.

The BID is apparently funding banners and hanging flower baskets from the lamp posts up the high road. I'm guessing this will not happen until the central reservation work is over though.

I hear, on the reliable source that is Twitter, that there's a new Chinese, Rice Republic that is 'Streatham's best Chinese'

I queried the poster as to its superiority over Hung's, which is my favourite by far, and was reassured it was. I doubt this poster's correct; but will undertake a research mission and report back at some point; unless anyone's already been?

Had a delicious carrot cake and coffee in La Parisienne on Sat; far and away the friendliest place for cake and coffee (£3.10 for both ) so the likes of Earl Grey & Rose can do one imho...

I've no idea how long it's been opened, but I nearly came off my bike today when I noticed the name of this restaurant

tumblr_mi0i6fJxsp1rkf0wbo1_400.jpg

For those who don't speak Spanish, chocho is a very rude word describing ladies' privates.

What type of place is it? Also that Itallian next door is it any good? been meaning to try it for ages.

it opens at 6am now!!

gee, some fat middle-aged white guy had a right go at me on the train cos of my sniffles.
i wasn't even near him...
he said he was going to follow me into work and tell my colleagues how much of a wanker i was (i could do with the company, that walk from the train station to work is quite lonely).

Also that Itallian next door is it any good? been meaning to try it for ages.

Used to be very good; then changed owners late last year and is now less good; based on internet hearsay (on this thread some pages back iirc.

I hear, on the reliable source that is Twitter, that there's a new Chinese, Rice Republic that is 'Streatham's best Chinese'
I queried the poster as to its superiority over Hung's, which is my favourite by far, and was reassured it was. I doubt this poster's correct; but will undertake a research mission and report back at some point; unless anyone's already been?

Boom. 8/10
It is pretty good tbf. Different to Hungs, in that it's less traditional Chinese menu; and more effort goes into presentation of the food. Equal quality of food imho. Very friendly staff, quite empty last night at 2230 - which is a shame; it deserves to do better.
Salt and pepper broccoli came on a wooden board in a light tempura batter and was demolished very quickly indeed. Fried fish in ginger and spring onion; nice very fresh, rice in a bamboo-effect steamer thing was nice. Prawn noodle thingy was amazing - great tasting prawnage.
Veggie always cheaper than meaty, but our meal for two came in at under £20 - no charge for the green tea nor prawn crackers! They're BYO at the moment, though the guys said they should be receiving their license within two weeks.

On the slope down from St Leonards, just before the bus stop if you're heading southbound.

Lol at the name Cho Cho, had no idea what it meant... But it's been there a while.

I live down by Streatham Common station and was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere good to buy fruit and veg as well as meat? I find the supermarkets to be overpriced on the former, and terrible quality for the later.

Have you guys seen the results for thebStreatham Business Awards?

Business of the year and best shop front, Charles Carter Hair
Best place to eat and drink, Ililly
Greenest business, DeVere Cycles
Lifetime achievement award, Mediworld
Best customer Service, I love Coffee
Best small entrepreneur, Vinters Studios

What do you guys think, agree, disagree?

Last edited:
I buy fruit & veg from the ubiquitous 'bowl for £1' shops - cheap as you like, and quality's fine, as long as you don't expect it to hang about for weeks before eating.

Streatham business awards; never heard of Charles Carter, Mediworld nor Vintners Studios - suspect that's cause they're not on my radar rather than them not deserving winners of whatever they won.

A cycle shop would be a shoe-in for Greenest business; I don;t like De Ver however. The coffee in ILoveCoffee is good; as are their cakes and coffee.
Best place to eat and drink is a helluva category; as referenced in the 15 pages preceeding, one thing SW16/SW2 is not short of is good food places! ilili is good; there are others better.

I agree with Ilili, I thought their food was bloody fantastic, but a little on the expensive side. I don't drink and I think the prices are a little inflated as people who do usually drink, save a lot by not spending money on restaurant priced alcohol. I think the atmosphere/decor is better in Beyrouth's, and service was nothing to write home about. Mediworld is a huge shop that overlooks the bottom of Streatham Common, been around for yonks

ooh.. I prefer the atmosphere/decor in Illili.. I find Beyrouth's very echoey. I hadn't noticed the inflated prices but then we do drink so it works out well for us.

We had the most amazing meal at Addomme Sunday for my Dad's 70th. They could not have taken better care of us - they made it really special.

We've been to Illili twice in the last month (the last time because Addomme isn't open on Saturday lunchtime, boo) and both times the service was very good (not on a par with Addomme though, but what place is?). Very child friendly. I get the fuss about it now :).

Ah, I'd love to come to that, but it's a Thursday, isn't it, which I can't make....

I'm thinking of organising a Streatham drinks in April. Pub suggestions please? Also, what days of the week are good for people?

pesh recommended The Earl Ferrers I have no idea at all what it's like - in fact I know little about Streatham pubs - except I didn't warm to Pratts and Payne. The White Lion is right on the high street so nice and convenient for lots of people I imagine. What I do know about that pub (from Streatham mums' network) is they do lots of collecting for families in need and stuff like that - including a childrens' music charity so worth supporting. Actually the website is interesting. http://whitelion.org.uk/

I'd like to try it out.

I've been to a gig in the White Lion (after noticing a band formed from the ashes of an early 90s Brighton band that I knew the main man in, were playing). It's not a bad little venue/pub at all. The beer 'garden' is spacious enough I think.

White Lion is a great pub - good to have a live music venue on the high road. Saw The Egg there not long back; happy days!
Owner is a musician, and well connected too (got Manu Chao to play a gig there when he last played Brixton Electric - maybe 2011/2?) and also the founder of a great charity music4children.org

Ferrers is also a good boozer; used to do fair-priced meals too but those prices have crept up a lot in the past 18 months. Good for pint on the way back from the High Road though...

Ferrers is also a good boozer; used to do fair-priced meals too but those prices have crept up a lot in the past 18 months. Good for pint on the way back from the High Road though...

Another vote for the Ferrers.
tbh, i find their food a tad overrated (then I say that with all pub foods).
they do good ale.

Shall we try the Ferrers then?
We can always have the next one at the White Lion :)

What evenings are good for people? I can do any evening except Thursdays....

I can do after 7 on most weekdays and any time at weekends.... but I need a good period of advanced warning as going out now requires complex bargaining with the missus, or organising a babysitter

The Whole Meal caff in Shrubbery Rd could do with some new stuff!!! Its a fave of my partner BUT it's been serving the same old homity pie since the turn of the last century, nothwithstanding, I make a much better one.

I was in the Italian yesterday on the High Street, Bocca, the place next door to Choo Choo. Was getting a couple of ice creams for my daughters.

Anyway one of the Bocca staff mentioned that next Saturday is their last day, apparently Bocca and Choo Choo next door are closing down. A Supermarket is coming in to replace to vacate the space of both stores. Anybody know anything about this? and/or what Supermarket is coming?

Back
Top Bottom