Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Looks like the Megabowl site has a new buyer. http://londonsquare.co.uk/developments/detail/streatham_hill

There's a new, really cute looking Polish cafe next to the White Lion.

Not on the high road, but builders are in doing up the the retail space next to the Railway on Greyhound Lane, does anyone know what's going to open there?

On the site of the Old Dairy, just off Valley Road, Belway (I think) homes are going to be developing 18 houses and 40 flats.

The shop that you guys were talking about earlier is looking to put in a new shop front with an automatic door. Application says it's associated with a proposed convenience store. It's a huge shame as I really don't think the high road needs any more of these, there's already a lot of the express/local stores on that stretch, not to mention the 3 larger ones down by the common.

Does anyone know what's happening with the plaza outside the Manor Arms? It was supposed to have been finished on March 31st and it's still a mess. I'm not a builder, but it really doesn't look like the most complex of jobs, just laying some paving!

Last edited:
Looks like the Megabowl site has a new buyer. http://londonsquare.co.uk/developments/detail/streatham_hill

On the site of the Old Dairy, just off Valley Road, Belway (I think) homes are going to be developing 18 houses and 40 flats.

The shop that you guys were talking about earlier is looking to put in a new shop front with an automatic door. Application says it's associated with a proposed convenience store. It's a huge shame as I really don't think the high road needs any more of these, there's already a lot of the express/local stores on that stretch, not to mention the 3 larger ones down by the common.

Yeah those Old Dairy homes are quite near me, they are on Valley Road, they keep re-advertising them at higher prices due to House price rises.

That shop is going to be Morrisons, I am pretty sure I saw Morrisons name on the planning application on the door.

P.S. That London Square website is depressing, modern...bland developments...soulless.

Yeah those Old Dairy homes are quite near me, they are on Valley Road, they keep re-advertising them at higher prices due to House price rises.

That shop is going to be Morrisons, I am pretty sure I saw Morrisons name on the planning application on the door.
Yeah, I put the wrong supermarket down in my post haste.

I've not noticed The Old Dairy houses going up in price, I did notice that the end of terrace ones are priced higher. I think they're overpriced even taking into account the insanity of London house prices.

Yeah, I put the wrong supermarket down in my post haste.

The two neighbouring restaurants (Bocca and ChoCho) both closed and now have a Planning app to be knockled into one for a Morrisons 'M-Local' store. My money says that'll be granted and Morrison's will move their operation from its current place by Streatham Station, leaving that empty...

It would make sense for them as it's in the shadow of The Tesco of 24 Hour Doom where it is. It doesn't really make sense for Streatham High Street as near that there's a Tesco, a Sainsbury's, and The Co-Op. Oh well.

Oh while I'm here, has anyone eaten at any of the Somali places on the top end of Gleneagle Road? Any recommendations?

Oh took my daughter to the new Polish place on the high street, next to The White Lion. I wasn't impressed. Food was between ok and good (nice meatball, nice sauerkraut (sp?), average mashed potato), my pudding came with fairly 'own brand' vanilla ice cream (which my daughter refused to eat after the first mouthful, which is odd because she's 14 months and loves sweet things (mainly because fruit is the sweetest thing she tends to be given at home). Big portions though.

I wasn't entirely sure they didn't overcharge me as it was more than I was expecting, and the bill didn't seem to reflect what I ordered.

The Food Festival was fun. I enjoyed the Drunken Dairy ice Cream, some bread samples from a new bakery due to open just off the high Rd...I forget the name, but will look out for it as it was truly excellent sourdough rye bread, a top hog roast - very succulent and juicy and fennely, and a couple of pints in the Manor Arms.

Also tried Brighton Way and found it pretty good. I like it that they bring iced tap water straight away with no charge, the food was good, not overpriced, good atmosphere, excellent cocktail.

(unusually hedonistic weekend - offspring away, partner's birthday)

Also tried Brighton Way and found it pretty good. I like it that they bring iced tap water straight away with no charge, the food was good, not overpriced, good atmosphere, excellent cocktail.
I got as far as looking at the menu, thinking 'that's expensive' and went to Beyrouth instead :)

New bakery sounds interesting though; Lidl bakery is, for now, allaying my need for good rye/sourdough

I've found details of the new bakery http://elephant-bakehouse.co.uk/#services here. And it looks as if they will deliver bread to your house.

Also, passed a new café - the Village Café, just before Streatham Green on Mitcham Lane - a very friendly owner came out, she is just opening, I think. It looked v nice, wholesome, friendly, advertising a Full English for a fiver. Will have to check out for brunch sometime.

The Manor Arms seems to have become more realistic - the plate of macaroni cheese for £15 and posh fish finger (singular) have been replaced under the new management. Didn't have anything to eat though,just ale.

Also, passed a new café - the Village Café, just before Streatham Green on Mitcham Lane - a very friendly owner came out, she is just opening, I think. It looked v nice, wholesome, friendly, advertising a Full English for a fiver. Will have to check out for brunch sometime..
oh yea, this place is ace, is in the space that was a crap offie prior.
I discovered it last week and neglected my duty to this thread :( The Veggie full for £5 was the best I've had for a while, and came with a free apple and summat smoothie.

Very friendly owners, nice inside and the nearest place geographically for me to get breakfast :) I fact I shall go there tmrw.

oh yea, this place is ace, is in the space that was a crap offie prior.
I discovered it last week and neglected my duty to this thread :( The Veggie full for £5 was the best I've had for a while, and came with a free apple and summat smoothie.

Very friendly owners, nice inside and the nearest place geographically for me to get breakfast :) I fact I shall go there tmrw.
That's great value: in most places an apple and summat smoothie alone is about £3-20.
Glad it lives up to it's friendly owner and nice decor promise.

I tried Brighton Way for the first time yesterday, took my two daughters.

I didn't enjoy the experience, maybe it was because it was relatively busy but the staff were completely rushed off their feet, took them 10 minutes to even ask me if we wanted a drink and that was after I waved them over my way.

I wasn't exactly met with enthusiasm...I almost felt guilty for daring to ask them to order food and drink...

When the Food I ordered arrived, it didn't look great presentation wise...it wasn't exactly cheap so I did expect it to look a bit more appealing, it didn't taste great either, very bland.

On the plus side the Kids Menu was good in terms of the choice on offer and my daughters appeared to enjoy their meals, it was pretty good value too.

To finish off it took them 15 minutes to bring the Kids dessert and we were then rushed out of the place due to another booking taking place.

Not a very good experience but I will try it once more as I put it down to teething issues.

One thing I will say is I am not sure what they are trying to market themselves as...it does come across as a "jack of all trades" type place, so kind of restaurant/bar/cafe...seems like they are trying to compete with "Perfect Blend" albeit in a less favourable building.

The Village Cafe sounds really nice, must swing by some time.

I ate at the Brighton Way a week after opening and thought the food was delicious, but the service quite slow... And it wasn't even that busy. We too put it down to teething issues and I think 1 week after opening, you can't be too harsh on them!

I spotted the new banners hanging from the lamp posts on my run the other day, must say it's one of the least exciting things the BID have put forward!

Not that it's new, but I ate at the Pied Bull the other weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I hadn't realised the garden stretched around the back and away from the noise and fumes of the high road. Food was just as good as many other pubs I eat at in Streatham, but a damn sight cheaper, Pratts & Payne, the Railway and Manor Arms to name a few.

We're moving to Streatham since our dick landlord is kicking us out of our Lewisham place. We'll be opposite Streatham Common, near the Streatham station end. Does anyone know of a decent fruit and veg place nearby that's not Tesco? Have been spoiled by Lewisham food centre which was huge and plentiful and we could stock up on mint etc as well. Cheers!

Not sure, but El Baraka Halal at the top of the hill by the church is excellent, they do some fruit and veg including fresh mint. You also must have a drink in the Ferrier's Arms.

Last edited:
London square, the new owners of the Megabowl site will be exhibiting their plans to the public on Thursday 10th July from 3.00pm till 8.00pm and Friday the 11th from 9-5 at 170 Streatham Hill. They also seem to have a PDF on their website, I don't know if it will be the same information. http://londonsquarestreatham.co.uk/LSSNL.pdf

Don't get me wrong, I'd far rather have coffee shops over betting shops/cash converters, but is it just me or does it seem like we have too many? Cafe Barcelona, a new coffee shop looks to be opening just up from Morrisons.

I've heard it before, but I'm hearing it again, the library may get an extension in Streatham South. Last time I heard it would be upstairs in the Railway pub. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Also heard there's a new book shop going to open up... This makes me excited, something new that isn't a repeat of anything we already have, plus it's books!

This is also a very interesting find. I hate the really big signage/lettering and really hope that doesn't go ahead. The smaller stuff as way of directions for people though seems like a good idea. I like the smaller things like pavement slabs with writing in them too. http://www.wemadethat.co.uk/pdfs/Streatham_Street_Manual_(digital).pdf

Last edited:
Streatham Festival happens this weekend;

My missus is putting a project into it called Art23; using shop windows (both used and empty) on the High Rd as gallery/display spaces - all going up from today - and totally FREE.There's a map of venues here and follow @Art23_Streatham for info.

Look out for unexpected additions to window displays on your daily journeys, or follow the whole art trail on a journey of discovery….. Artists include: Virginia Waterhouse, Steve Trevillion, Eleanor Wright, David Pepper, The Paper Planes Collective presenting presenting photographs by Charlie Armstrong, Emma Condliffe, Jiro Osuga and Battle of the Eyes.

Also there's an Open Studio all weekend at ASC Studios, Streatham Hill behind the Sainsbury Local - again free to all - with 30/40 artists showing work, no obligation to buy.

(this post is made by me in my 'local resident' capacity as opposed to 'promoting an event' so hopefully will be allowed to stay :)

The 90's looking offices opposite Streatham train station have had some people in doing work which has got me wondering what's going on. Wonder no more, looks like they're being converted into 35, 1 and 2 bed flats. They seem quite pricey IMO, considering they face onto the high road, and I'm assuming they won't have any outside space. Still, it should make a nice improvement to the building.

Back
Top Bottom