Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Great news that a clothes store will be moving in. Much better than another pawn brokers or coffee shop!! I wonder if it's a chain or an independent store...

Streatham Theatre Company are running Halloween tours of the old Streatham Hill Theatre (Beacon Bingo)
Access all Eras
Friday 31 October 2014
Saturday 1 November 2014
9.30pm (doors 9pm) until 10.45pm

Streatham Hill Theatre (Beacon Bingo),
110 Streatham Hill, London, SW2 4RD​

Advance Tickets* £6.66, Concessions £5.00
On the Door* £8.00, Concessions £6.00

Tickets now on sale through TicketSource

At hallowe’en (All Hallows Eve and All Hallows Day) ghouls and ghosts - and old actors - come out of the fabric of this historic theatre. This is a rare chance for a night time tour of our local former theatre, and who knows what might happen on the way!

This is a theatrical performance where anything might happen! You must be 18 or over to attend due to licensing restrictions. You will be entering non-public and unused areas of this listed building and must be able to climb stairs.

*Please book in advance at www.streathamtheatre.org.uk/access or
by phone on 0333 666 3366 (standard rate call)*

There may be tickets available at the door, but this cannot be guaranteed. E-tickets are issued online free of booking charge. However, if you choose to book by phone, or to receive tickets via your mobile or by post, there will be a handling charge from TicketSource our ticketing agent. Concessions apply for STC members, Equity members and unwaged.

http://www.streathamtheatre.org.uk/access

Revive and Thrive look to be working with the BID and want to hear from locals which retailers they would like to see on the high road. Good discussion point, we often talk about the retailers we already have and love, but who would you like to have on the high road?

A TK Maxx would be nice and would serve all sections of the community. There's ones already in Brixton, Tooting and Balham though so maybe the area is a bit saturated. Alternatively then a Next or H&M would be nice, they're by no means my favourite clothes stores but just thinking what'd work for everyone in the area.

Not M&S for twofold reason:

1) I boycott them and
2) we don't want Streatham to become any more like Balham than it has already.
My rent has gone up £100 a month just now cause "the market in this area is so buoyant". GO AWAY POSHOS

1) I boycott them and
My rent has gone up £100 a month just now cause "the market in this area is so buoyant". GO AWAY POSHOS

Or any more Brixton than it has already. Good point and I still enjoy how non-gentrified Streatham is at the moment but I like M&S but don't really enjoy going down Brixton nowadays

Plurker, that sucks about your rent!

I have to confess and say I love M&S!! It's boring, but reliable. It's my go-to shop when I need something and just can't be bothered to trapse around! Their stuff lasts for ages too! I would be so happy if one was within walking distance in Streatham.

Things we really don't need more of imo are: supermarkets, coffee shops, betting shops, pawn brokers and charity shops.

I would love to see a more 'every-day' market rather than the weekly farmers market which is too expensive for me to do a regular shop on. Something like Croydon's Surrey Street market that sells lots of 'every day' fruit, veg, meat etc. My wage simply can't justify the prices of 'organic', so often seen at the farmers markets!

I think mostly, we're lacking clothes shops. The only chains I can think of are New Look and Peacocks. I would love it if shops like H&M, Next, Clarkes, Jones Bootmakers, M&S were to move in. I buy most of my stuff from these places and clothes last me years and years!

Plurker, that sucks about your rent!

I have to confess and say I love M&S!! It's boring, but reliable. It's my go-to shop when I need something and just can't be bothered to trapse around! Their stuff lasts for ages too! I would be so happy if one was within walking distance in Streatham.

Things we really don't need more of imo are: supermarkets, coffee shops, betting shops, pawn brokers and charity shops.

I would love to see a more 'every-day' market rather than the weekly farmers market which is too expensive for me to do a regular shop on. Something like Croydon's Surrey Street market that sells lots of 'every day' fruit, veg, meat etc. My wage simply can't justify the prices of 'organic', so often seen at the farmers markets!

I think mostly, we're lacking clothes shops. The only chains I can think of are New Look and Peacocks. I would love it if shops like H&M, Next, Clarkes, Jones Bootmakers, M&S were to move in. I buy most of my stuff from these places and clothes last me years and years!

and hairdressers

We have enough of them? If so, I agree, forgot about that one - hair and beauty... we have enough, don't need more!

Yes, hair and nail places popping up everywhere

Oh, and we don't need any more mosques, chapels, temples, other places of worship

We should be abolishing the lot of them (and that means Catholic/Protestant etc.)

Not sure streatham needs a "normal" market. What would it sell that the plethora of independent greengrocers and pound shops don't already?

1) I boycott them and
The M&S Simply Food store in Balham closed down five years ago as they couldn't compete with Waitrose!

The Waterfront bar opposite Streatham Common shut 'for a refurb' at the start of October. Since then, nothing, other than the odd hint that pizza will be returning.

The Waterfront bar opposite Streatham Common shut 'for a refurb' at the start of October. Since then, nothing, other than the odd hint that pizza will be returning.

I thought it had been painted Navy blue with gold embellishments... on the outside at least! I would assume that closure for that long would mean an interior overhaul too?

Unsubstantiated twitterchat that a coffeeshop/soft play cafe (no, me neither) called Bertie & Boo is measuring up for expanding - from Balham - into one of the empty shops (poss the old Oxfam).

I had the misfortune of going into Bertie & Boo in Balham once - thought 'independent cafe, looks okay'. they took the food and coffee order. Made two terrible coffees - soy milk curdled, then came and told me that they'd run out of the only veggie food they had on the menu and "sorry, our till cant process refunds" so tried to charge me for not giving me food. Shouting match ensued. Eventually they relented and lo, the till did manage to 'process a refund'.

Streatham's slowly being broken :(

Bertie and boo has been rumoured for ages but last I heard they'd decided to go somewhere else. There is a new soft play cafe up near Streatham Hill station though.

Yeah I saw that on twitter too - the old cash converters site. Sounds like a terrible place for those sans children, but I would guess for parents, it's a nice place to go, have the kids kept occupied and chill for a bit. Service you experienced though Plurker sounds awful! That will be 2 cafe come softplay places within yards of one another... Blossoms Jungle Gym just opened next to the 5 Bells. Plus there's that Lattjo Pop place just past Streatham Common.

Looks like a new restaurant is opening in the Old Raj Poot on Streatham Hill http://quemelaimemanger.blogspot.co.uk/

Plus Badgers Cafe in Streatham Vale https://www.facebook.com/badgerskitchen/info too

Interesting. Never knew about the WWII bomb

Saddest and rather unknown WWII story I've come across is that 42 people lost their life during a bomb strike on 18th October 1940
which hit the Rose and Crown Pub at Crown Point, making it one of Lambeth's worst bombings. There are only one or two mentions of it online and nothing marks the large loss of life.

Last edited:
Sadist and rather unknown WWII story I've come across is that 42 people lost their life during a bomb strike on 18th October 1940
which hit the Rose and Crown Pub at Crown Point, making it one of Lambeth's worst bombings. There are only one or two mentions of it online and nothing marks the large loss of life.

Sadist :hmm::D

Very sad that there's nothing marking Rose and Crown :(

Sadist :hmm::D

Very sad that there's nothing marking Rose and Crown :(

whoops on the 'sadist' :D - juggling small child at the same time as posting.

The pub is now a Tescos - I wonder if there is anyone around who knows much about what happened. My neighbor has lived around here since the late 1960s - he's an ex-history teacher and we talk local history when I bump into him. :D

whoops on the 'sadist' :D - juggling small child at the same time as posting.

The pub is now a Tescos - I wonder if there is anyone around who knows much about what happened. My neighbor has lived around here since the late 1960s - he's an ex-history teacher and we talk local history when I bump into him. :D

Quiz him up. You might find out more about the pub

Really wish my grandad was still alive so I could ask him all about Brixton

Bertie and boo has been rumoured for ages but last I heard they'd decided to go somewhere else. There is a new soft play cafe up near Streatham Hill station though.
I think that that might be owned by the people who own the Ministars nursery on Cricklade Avenue.

Back
Top Bottom