Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

I've not been about for a few weeks. I wandered up SHR on Saturday and observed this:

1) Horse & Groom has been repainted and says' CRAFT BEERS' on it
2) Fuel Zone appears to have closed
3) Thompson's Deli has now been sign-written. (NB this may have been done for some time)

Not 'new stuff' - but the Hideaway really is great, Went last night for Osibisa, (nostalgia-fest - and they played really well) , friendly and helpful staff, good atmosphere, and unlike any other commercial venue I have ever encountered, they voluntarily offered credit to my partner who had mistakenly booked for Fri night and not realised until we were about to leave on Saturday , and then bought new tickets.

We ran up a massive bill - cocktails, 3 course meal, wine - but that is v easily avoided, we were just on the splash.

It's the third time I've been - planning to go more regularly, for the Sunday lunch sessions, and if it is suitable, send my teen-guitarist son to the workshops.

Definitely a Streatham highlight.

Totally agree. I love that place, and have been there many times in the past 5 years . It's really friendly, the staff are great, plenty of space, music and sound phenomenal, and food fantastic. Particularly the jerk chicken. A real gem.

Makes Ronnie Scotts look shite in comparison tbh.

Proper lovely local atmosphere.

I've been to the jazz improv workshops with my violin and really enjoyed them. I'm hoping to go to them with my trumpet one day (I'd have to get alot better though!) [emoji3]

The Monday eve workshops - are they generally professional musician standard?
Would committed, capable, 'in-a-band' teens be welcome, or hold the whole thing up?

No, they're not pro musician standard. They're taught by a professional band, but the workshop participants aren't pros. I'd say the level is about Grade 5+ if that means anything to you. Basically, most people are pretty competent on their instruments but by no means amazing. It's pretty friendly.

I'm sure an in-a-band teen would be fine, as long as he likes jazz!

They list the tunes that are being done every week on the website, so it gives people a chance to check them out beforehand. Obviously if you're going to improvise along to a tune, then it helps if you know it a bit.

There's always a go-round. So, everyone takes it in turn to do an improvised solo passage. [emoji15] [emoji3]

Thanks Han, that's really helpful!

Yes, they are in the school Jazz band, and used to improvised solos - including in the concerts, but the Hideaway would be WAY more intimidating. I didn't know they put the tunes on the website - great!

They saw an Urban75- related band at Folk of the Wood ;) and used to play there quite a bit. One of the bands once ran a jam session with the younger musicians at the Effra Social, and they got so much out of it.

You never know - may see you there!

Thanks Han, that's really helpful!

Yes, they are in the school Jazz band, and used to improvised solos - including in the concerts, but the Hideaway would be WAY more intimidating. I didn't know they put the tunes on the website - great!

They saw an Urban75- related band at Folk of the Wood ;) and used to play there quite a bit. One of the bands once ran a jam session with the younger musicians at the Effra Social, and they got so much out of it.

You never know - may see you there!

Yeah!

Urban75-related folk band at Folk Of The Wood ? I'm in that band! Did we meet there? Or are you just winking for the helluvit? [emoji3]

Yes, they are in the school Jazz band, and used to improvised solos - including in the concerts, but the Hideaway would be WAY more intimidating. I didn't know they put the tunes on the website - great!!

Honestly, I don't think anyone would find it too intimidating, for the simple reason that there's no audience, just the people in the class. And it's quite a supportive environment. [emoji4]

Yeah!

Urban75-related folk band at Folk Of The Wood ? I'm in that band! Did we meet there? Or are you just winking for the helluvit? [emoji3]
I met some Urban people there (it was in W Norwood) - BooHoo, Gaijingirl, Boudicca - and you were playing, they said you were you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: han
I am definitely going to organise one, but I haven't got any free weekends for a while, so it'll probably be in a month or so.

I got that confused with The Leigham Arms... has anyone been in there? Outside they've got an English flag, and a note saying that they've banned Ken Livingstone from drinking in there. I'm sure Ken's devastated.

Yeah I went in there once. Disappointing. It looks quite quaint from the outside (though I didn't notice an English flag - that would've put me off). But there's no atmosphere in there at all and no decent cider. A bit depressing.

An Urban meet should possibly start off there, just to see how long it takes for the landlord to show us the door. It's quite close to The White Lion after all.

An Urban meet should possibly start off there, just to see how long it takes for the landlord to show us the door. It's quite close to The White Lion after all.
The only problem with that is that the ale / cider is non-existent / shit.

I suggest we go to the Crown And Sceptre. Cheap, spacious, and excellent, well-kept real ales and cyders. I repeat, is anyone up for Friday 10th April?

The only problem with that is that the ale / cider is non-existent / shit.

I suggest we go to the Crown And Sceptre. Cheap, spacious, and excellent, well-kept real ales and cyders. I repeat, is anyone up for Friday 10th April?
Scrap that. I've just seen the South London drinks organising thread. I've signed up for September. Probably Crown & Sceptre!

Back
Top Bottom