Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Would anyone object if I:

(a) changed this thread title to match the 'standard' formula we have elsewhere (so it would become "Streatham news, rumour and general chat") and
(b) moved it to the Brixton forum on the basis that there seems to be a fuzzy overlap between Streatham and Brixton and that's where the threads for all other areas bordering Brixton are (Herne Hill/Tulse Hill etc).

I'm only bringing it up because I just spent ages trying to find this thread in the Brixton forum.

I'd do a double-check on that - def an Indian restaurant. Erm. Argh. (I go to Tooting if I want Indianfuds!)

editor - a) not an issue b) erm, are you trying to assimilate us? Streatham will never fall. (and it's in 'London and the South East'...
Just pointing out that every other similar thread is in the Brixton and surrounding areas forum.....

Raj Poot is closed?! I didn't even notice. Voley [emoji27]
Aw. That's a shame. I spent so much time there they used to send all my family Xmas cards. Only place I've ever had a lobster curry this side of the world. :cool: I hope Mr Jalil sold up and went back to Bangladesh wealthy - I think it was his long-term plan.

Reactions: han
Just pointing out that every other similar thread is in the Brixton and surrounding areas forum.....

sure, I get that. If you're getting all geographical and location-based on our asses, then I'll point out that 'Brixton & surrounding areas' should sit within 'London and South-East'....where this thread is, correctly, placed. :p

Reactions: han
Raj Poot wasn't much cop though. My wife still bitches about the quality of the food 'grrr curry for English people, not proper, etc etc' despite us eating there once (to try the tandoori lobster obv) years ago. Tooting or Norbury has *much* better places. Dosa N Chutney, Lahore Karai, Lahore Kebab House, nuff said...

Raj Poot wasn't much cop though. My wife still bitches about the quality of the food 'grrr curry for English people, not proper, etc etc' despite us eating there once (to try the tandoori lobster obv) years ago. Tooting or Norbury has *much* better places. Dosa N Chutney, Lahore Karai, Lahore Kebab House, nuff said...

I think their once famous chef went over a decade ago - it had been a slow decline into mediocrity. I miss the Spice Cottage far more.

Seems merely to be quite pricey, rather than very pricey going by this menu
http://quemelaimemanger.blogspot.co.uk/?view=classic

I'd say £15.50 for this, given veg are £4 extra, was very pricey...for Streatham.
Hood_Roast-cod.jpg

As above though, with only one veggie option they'll not be getting my business unless the menu changes.

well, given the portion size, you have a point... factoring in vegetables, it's about 25% more than the closest fish dish at the Hamlet down the road

Does anyone have any knowledge of the proposed theatre space to be built as part of the Megabowl redevelopment?
Specifically whether any local groups are envisaged as the end user or operator? Or any knowledge of a proposed operator at all?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the proposed theatre space to be built as part of the Megabowl redevelopment?
Specifically whether any local groups are envisaged as the end user or operator? Or any knowledge of a proposed operator at all?

All i know is what I've seen on ShoutStreatham - which refers to The developers made clear to us then that they intended to discuss these with @StreathamTheatre, the Streatham Society and others, directly.

i can make no claim as to the contents of the site being accurate.

lang rabbie said:
I think their once famous chef went over a decade ago
That's when I was a Raj Poot regular. Their Jeera Chicken was the best I've had outside of India. Nice blokes that worked there, too. Always had time for a natter with you, even if I couldn't convince them my brother wasn't my boyfriend. :D Very liberal with the complimentary brandies if you showed your face often enough, too. Mr Jalil was a beaut. I do hope he sold up and did well out of it.

Work has finally started on the Access Self Storage site between Kempshott and Penistone Road's, whilst it's not the best thing to go on the site, it has to be better than the ugly hoardings with its nooks and crannies that attracted fly tipping.

Looks like a new arts/school supplies shop will be opening on Greyhound Lane where the Mediterranean Deli Cafe used to be and the shop next door not so long ago changed from quite an awful looking UPVC glazing/carpet shop to a swish stone worktop shop.

The Times did just say Streatham was one of the most fashionable places to live in 2015... the shops are certainly going that way!

Theatre Watch Streatham is holding a meeting for everyone interested in the plans for the new theatre as part of the Megabowl development.
7.30, Thursday 9th April, 7.30 at The Hideaway. All welcome.

Do come if you have any wish to see a successful theatre space in Streatham - there has been controversy about the provision, and the persistence of some attentive local people has provoked a new look at the plans. It isn't sorted out yet, so this is a good moment for effective participation.

Couple of new recent openings,

There's a new Deli opposite Streatham Station to replace the seldom busy Serendipity cafe. This one has the sense to open early in the morning which Serendipity didn't. I hope it does well, these kinds of Delhi's arn't usually my kind of thing but this Stretch of the High Road could certainly do with a few more successful businesses.

There's also a new Caribean Takeaway opening opposite the Manor Arms on Mitcham Lane, well there's been a sign in the window announcing it for the last few months so hopefully it'll actually open by the end of the summer...

Couple of new recent openings,

There's a new Deli opposite Streatham Station to replace the seldom busy Serendipity cafe. This one has the sense to open early in the morning which Serendipity didn't. I hope it does well, these kinds of Delhi's arn't usually my kind of thing but this Stretch of the High Road could certainly do with a few more successful businesses.

Deli Lama, just opened by an old friend of mine who has been running the Asian Grub Foundation food stall at festivals for years… top guy, really hope it works for him…

I still miss Purple

There's work going on in that unit at the moment.
The ex-Nineteen unit next door is about to re-open as a pizza place.

The people who ran Nineteen have moved around the corner to Leigham Av, doing simillar food & drink but with a temp/trial set up.

All sounds promising. Now we just need the trains to run on time!
It's got to the point now where when i get to the station and see my train is only 3-4 minutes late in the morning I'm actually relieved its not worse.

Back
Top Bottom