Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Today I was told, by another or Morrison's staff that it will become a Premier Inn.

Conclusion: no-one knows, site will be empty for parties from end Nov ;)

I've just been along to see the new proposals for the old MI5 site that's now under ownership of Access Self Storage - wedged between the High Road, Kempshott Road and Penistone Road.

Currently, they have planning permission for a large, box-like structure that would be storage space with a small office.

What they're proposing is to move all storage underground, spanning the whole site. There will be a building fronting the High Road (in parallel to it) which on the ground floor will house non-residential space, I think retail is most likely, plus the office for the self storage. Above these units, there will be residential flats. Along the back of this building, there will be an access lane to parking spaces for their customers. This will stretch from Kempshott Road to Penistone Road with gates at either end.

Fronting Kempshott Road, they plan to construct a separate, slightly lower building, and this will be for residential use. I was told mostly 1 and 2 bed flats, but there may be a couple of 3 beds. I want to say 67 units in total on the site (give or take 1 or 2, can't quite remember). There will be 8 parking spaces, one of which is reserved for a 'car share' scheme. *face palm* No one present during my visit seemed happy about the parking situation - fearing for how it will affect parking on nearby streets.

Behind the building will be the 8 parking spaces, as well as communal gardens - these will back onto Penistone Road.

They plan to have a brick façade, so hopefully wont look as ghastly as the monster sat above Tesco. That said, I still think it's awfully box like and they're going for the 'cheap' approach. No need to make it appear desirable as beggars can't be choosers so to speak.

Interestingly, none will be for sale. Access Self Storage plan to keep all 67 (give or take) units and rent them all out.

Anyone been to the new Vietnamese in Streatham where Oishi used to be? Wondering if they do a decent amount of veggie dishes as it's mr nags' birthday tomorrow and thinking of going? As it's a Monday, also wondering if it's even open.

Anyone been to the new Vietnamese in Streatham where Oishi used to be? Wondering if they do a decent amount of veggie dishes as it's mr nags' birthday tomorrow and thinking of going? As it's a Monday, also wondering if it's even open.

Did you go to this? Was it any good?

ahh, shame, I had the mango beef salad (where the beef is 'cooked' in citric acid) and some other starters and they were excellent.

I'm surprised it's so variable.

A friend is asking for recommendations for so.ewhere to eat near the Odeon. As I don't eat out, I can't help her. Any suggestions?

What happened to Oishi? I only had a take away from there once. It was pretty delicious but a bit pricier than I'd like.

What happened to Oishi? I only had a take away from there once. It was pretty delicious but a bit pricier than I'd like.

I never like Oishi but was informed that the Japanese food there was genuine.
It's now a Vietnamese place - never been.

A friend is asking for recommendations for so.ewhere to eat near the Odeon. As I don't eat out, I can't help her. Any suggestions?

The Hamlet is a safe bet (about half a mile away).
Was there last weekend for Xmas party. Food was decent.

Rumoured that the new place where Oishii was is run by the same owners...

Lots of closures; so most new stuff in Streatham is 'empty shops'

Beyrouth's has gone - no surprise as it was way too big, and often empty. Wanted to go there last weekend but cause it was shut went next-door to Trio Pizzeria. It was decent enough - not the best, but okay for the price.

The large Oxfam is empty now.

Lebanese Ilili closed, then re-opened as Streatham Wine House - was there just prior to Christmas for drink - nice wine, and they happily allowed my toddler to toddle about smashing tree baubles until about 9pm :)

Apparently the old Morrisons site is combining a gym, a Costa coffee and a Marks & Spencer. The horrible new development up by Streatham Hill is also supposed to be getting an M&S food place.

There might be more!

Last edited:
Rumoured that the place where Oishii was is run by the same owners...

Lots of closures; so most new stuff in Streatham is 'empty shops'

Beyrouth's has gone - no surprise as it was way too big, and often empty. Wanted to go there last weekend but cause it was shut went nextdoor to Trio Pizzeria. It was decent enough, not the best but okay for the price.

The large Oxfam is empty now.

Lebanese Ilili closed, then re-opened as Streatham Wine House - ewas there just prior to Christmas for drink - nice wine, and happiuly allowed my toddler to toddle about smashing tree baubles until aobut 9pm :)

Apparently the old Morrisons site is combining a gym, a Costa coffee and a Marks & Spencer. The horrible new development up by Streatham Hill is also supposed to be getting an M&S food place.

There might be more!

Old Morrisons is turning into Pure Gym (24 hours).

This is not far from the Odeon and still going, little changed after all these years Home

One of our favourite places. Have eaten there so many times in 20+years here.

Only thing I don't like is paying £4.80 or whatever it is for a 330ml bottle of beer or cider. Organic it may be, but takes the pish imho

I remember going there (if it's the same place which it looks like) when I first came to London in 1985. I went back (as passing by) last week and it was still great.

I can't remember how long I have be going to the wholearth, but I wish they would change the menu. It has about 4 mains at anytime and always includes homity pie, which has always been on the menu!

I can't remember how long I have be going to the wholearth, but I wish they would change the menu. It has about 4 mains at anytime and always includes homity pie, which has always been on the menu!
See, now I'm the converse.
I like the consistency - the three daily-changing mains are almost always great, and the homity pie is the perfect fall-back.

Back
Top Bottom