Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Soft play - like buses - none come for ages and then two at once...

I hope Bertie and Boo doesn't put the other place out of business.

I thought it had been painted Navy blue with gold embellishments... on the outside at least! I would assume that closure for that long would mean an interior overhaul too?

It seems the waterfront is getting renamed The Bank. Saw a new sign up there last night.

It was excellent bread (cooked up some baby octopi with red peppers, garlic, chill and saffron to go with it, and it went very well), but I'd still class £3.90 for a large loaf of bread expensive.

I've lived in and around Tulse Hill/Streatham Hill for, um, well over 4 years now, so nerr. I got the octopi from that Fish Tail place up from Kennedy's. Which has been around since 2009.. and I was regularly visiting Tulse Hill for 3 years before that to see my then girl friend....

Last edited:

:D

To be fair I do like Streatham as it is. It's got a bit of everything to keep me satisfied and hasn't gone the way of our neighbouring "middle class" areas such as Balham and Herne Hill. The recent-ish additions such as Pratts and Payne, the two trendy coffee shops (Boyce De Rocca and the one a few doors down from Oxfam), Elephant Bakehouse and the weekly farmers market all serve a purpose. I can't say I use all these places regularly, but have been to them all in the past and will continue to support them from time to time.

What I like about Streatham is the "down to earth" feel of the place, the unpretentious community, it's got a good mix of everything for everyone, the balance is just right IMO.

I like Streatham like this and whilst I don't expect it to change, I don't want it to either.

Can anyone recommend a barber?

I use to go to NAS opposite the White Horse but he's gone a bit shit.
I went to Savvas Brothers before and they gave me a well cheesy cut...

Are there any good ones out there?

Oh man, Plurker, your grin just made my day!

Really cute jewellery making supplies shop opened up on Greyhound lane next to the Railway. I wish I wore more jewellery than I do because it looks awesome!!!

Does anyone know what's happening with the building being refurbished on the dip between Cafe Barcelona and the new Police Station?

They've taken the solicitors sign off the outside and last time I walked past they were putting mirrors on the walls so I assume it's going to be something new?

Does anyone know what's happening with the building being refurbished on the dip between Cafe Barcelona and the new Police Station?

They've taken the solicitors sign off the outside and last time I walked past they were putting mirrors on the walls so I assume it's going to be something new?

Ah, mirrors? I heard Shout Hair that's up at Streatham Hill is relocating to this end so maybe that's their new home?

reading the Lambeth council magazine thing yesterday, I saw the owner of one of the new High Road businesses (Indigo Tree iirc) lauding praise on Streatham, saying something along the lines of 'Everybody coming into my shop wants to move to Streatham - what we need now is more florists and bookshops.'

reading the Lambeth council magazine thing yesterday, I saw the owner of one of the new High Road businesses (Indigo Tree iirc) lauding praise on Streatham, saying something along the lines of 'Everybody coming into my shop wants to move to Streatham - what we need now is more florists and bookshops.'

Oh dear. did he not suggest more coffee shops as well?

She didn't mention coffee shops, perhaps we're at critical mass there already; we've the whole gamut of chain/independent/hipster coffee vendors. What we definitely need is florists. And some softplay places. And maybe some charity shops :)

Does anyone ever use the Lahore Kebab House?

I was thinking of going there but wanted to get some kebabs. I looked up their menu online and it seems to be the standard Indian restaurant meals. What I was looking for was an upmarket version of a South London kebab shop.

Do they do kebabs also?

no, it's the sister place to the mighty Lahore Kebab House in Whitechapel. They do seekh kebabs, and other meaty Punjabi goodness like grilled masala chops, and karahi curries. But not Turkish kebabs.

Their delivery service was a bit rubbish though.

You could try Troy Barbeque at the top of Streatham Hill though. It's a Turkish kebab place. I wasn't amazingly impressed by the place when we went there a couple of years ago. They do use the excellent flat breads from the bakery opposite though. That's something.

Well I'm based in Tulse Hill so I'll just go round to Efes in West Norwood. For some reason my wife and I always end up getting a take away from there after a long drive, and we'll be doing 400 miles on Saturday. I thought that the Lahore would be a nice change, I've always liked the look of it as I have driven past.

I love the Lahore Kebab House, but I'm not sure it qualifies as 'upmarket'. Phenomenal mixed grill, excellent dhal, the best lamb-on-the-bone curry, friendly service, not expensive, BYO drink, strip lighting, huge telly showing the footie, Saturdays a big flash wedding going on behind a screen cunningly constructed from scaff and bits of curtain. Not the best for vegetarians.

Back
Top Bottom