Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New President of the Philippines - Duterte the Punisher.

goldenecitrone

post tenebras lux
In a South-east Asian parallel of the American Presidential election, Filipinos have voted 'against' the political establishment and for the maverick mayor of Davao city, Rodrigo Duterte.

Amongst his policies are threatening corrupt officials to retire or die and encouraging the extrajudicial killings of drug dealers and criminals.

He recently made the news when commenting on the gang rape of an Australian missionary in a Filipino prison. He joked that as mayor, he should have had the first go.

His new vice President is likely to be 'Bong Bong' Marcos (Filipinos like their nicknames), son of the late dictator.

Maverick mayor Duterte set to clinch presidency of Philippines

It's interesting only in that it shows the level of male-orchestrated violence and intimidation going on across the 3rd world.

If you grew up in Davao in the midst of nationalist armies and terrorists on Mindinao then that might explain his comments.

You can't compare it to Trump, the Philippines is different on so may levels. Admittedly I only visited Palawan but learnt alot.

When I was there a few people told me that candidates paid people to vote for them outside polling stations. And people were known to have voted at multiple stations so they could get paid multiple times. Not that I'm suggesting their form of democracy is corrupt or anything!

Yeah...that if you tone the rhetoric down a bit you get elected .

What's he toned down? He's promised to kill up to 100,000 people if (now, when) elected President. He operates vigilante death squads for extra-judicial murders. And he's basically part of a clan that has exercised power within the Philippines for years. Promoting the son of Marcos as his Deputy is just the icing on the cake.

I spent a month in the Philippines a year ago (Luzon, Cebu, Bohol) and while there are many beautiful places there with many beautiful well-meaning people the whole country, politically, operates on another level to the rest of the world. I've never seen so many machine guns in my life (MacDonalds doormen, in fact every shop doormen, are armed to the teeth) and Davao has one of the highest murder rates in the world despite Duterte's fixed statistics which claim it to be the 5th safest city. Many of these murders are carried out by his own death squads so don't count presumably.

On top of that its the most ridiculously religious (Catholic) country I've ever been to. God signs are everywhere. "Become a God addict, not a drug addict". Add in the extreme poverty of whole families sleeping in their own excrement in the streets of Manila and yeah, great place.

Banaue, north Luzon and Bohol (tropical storms and earthquake damage aside) were lovely though.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver did a piece on this.

When challenged about the rape comment not only did he stress that he wasn't joking but was serious but stated that he was just talking 'sense'.

Lovely man.

Man father lives in the Philippines. When trying to do stuff over there he encounter civil servants with drawers full of money.
If you want a permit signed or anything if money doesn't go in the drawer it doesn't get done.

Corruption is a way of life from the bottom up.

Last edited:
Kill drug dealers and I'll give you a medal, says Philippines president

The Philippine president-elect has urged citizens with guns to shoot and kill drug dealers who resist arrest and fight back.

Rodrigo Duterte told a huge crowd celebrating his presidential victory late on Saturday in the southern city of Davao that Filipinos who help him in the bloody war against criminality would be rewarded.

“Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun, you have my support,” Duterte said in his speech, which was televised nationally.

He warned about an extensive illegal drugs trade in the country that involved even police. If a drug dealer resisted arrest or refused to be brought to a police station and instead threatened a citizen with a gun or knife, “you can kill him”, Duterte said. “Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal.”

This is what I mean about the Philippines operating on a different level. Mainly a scumfuck of a country that looks like its heading towards more and more lawlessness. I saw no drug problem in the Philippines. Saw one hell of a gun problem though. And some of the worst poverty I've ever seen.

Duterte, who starts his six-year term on 30 June, repeated a plan to offer bounties to those who can turn in drug lords, dead or alive.

The 71-year-old won the 9 May presidential election on a bold promise to end crime and corruption within six months.
Human rights watchdogs have expressed alarm his anti-crime drive might lead to widespread rights violations.

Duterte has been suspected of playing a role in many killings of suspected criminals by motorcycle-riding assassins dubbed the “Davao death squads”. Human rights watchdogs say he has not been criminally charged because nobody has dared to testify against him in court.

You can be linked to the killings of hundreds, possibly thousands of people, and still get elected.
1572074113548ef529cccf57925e3103

very true

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver did a piece on this.

When challenged about the rape comment not only did he stress that he wasn't joking but was serious but stated that he was just talking 'sense'.

Lovely man.

Man father lives in the Philippines. When trying to do stuff over there he encounter civil servants with drawers full of money.
If you want a permit signed or anything if money doesn't go in the drawer it doesn't get done.

Corruption is a way of life from the bottom up.
Place is a shithole.

He seems to be really going to town on them no matter how high up and well connected they are. And not just that there seems to be a massive wave of vigilante killings against the pushers, causing many to hand themselves in to the cops. Also for the first time ever Filipino leftists appear to be supporting a President .

Now narco-mayors targeted in President Duterte’s war against drugs

I could grow to like..or at least appreciate ...this guy . His comments on that rape were utterly disgusting though .

It's interesting to see he appointed a number of communists to his government cabinet .

Also according to this he enacted legislation brining in very punitive penalties for anyone discriminating against homosexuals, transgenders and Muslims. And he's getting severe flak from right wing generals as regards " coddling the reds " . While one of his senior aides is an ex communist guerilla .

dutertenpa1.jpg

Duterte admits coddling Reds, calls Palparan a bigot

This him at a communist guerilla camp

duterte-visits-typhoon-ravaged-npa-guerilla-zone-20121229-6_AB59A77A020F44A3818400094A243B5D.jpg

Seems he's also got a history of being very supportive of gay , Muslim and indigenous organisations , family planning groups and drug rehab groups as well as the communist ones . Despite his despicable rape comments he also once tried to ban the swimsuit bit in beauty pageants on the grounds it was exploitative . Also has turned down numerous government posts in the past . As well as routinely turning down awards . He refuses to accept any awards on principle . And there seems little doubt that as mayor he turned his home city from previously being the Filipino murder capital into one of its safest districts. Apparently with the help of former and current communist fighters ..as well as police and hired guns. Just went to town on the dealers and wiped them out . Rumour has it he even personally took one dealer up in a helicopter and chucked him out . Can't disagree with that .

Downside he's a fanatical anti smoker who brought in public smoking bans . And once forced a tourist to eat a cigarette butt at gunpoint . Boo sucks to that .

Back
Top Bottom