Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Labour government - legislative agenda

I voted Labour in July to be rid of the worst party of government I can remember in my lifetime. There was no realistic alternative. So no, I'm not ashamed.
Indeed, it would all be soooooo much better now if only the tories had got in again :rolleyes:

But it's not only people who voted labour who should be ashamed. It's the people who didn't vote, and those who voted lib dem and green, and particularly the smug gits who voted for parties like TUSC who had no chance of getting in. THEY'RE ALL RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE THEY ALL LET LABOUR WIN :mad:

Indeed, it would all be soooooo much better now if only the tories had got in again :rolleyes:

But it's not only people who voted labour who should be ashamed. It's the people who didn't vote, and those who voted lib dem and green, and particularly the smug gits who voted for parties like TUSC who had no chance of getting in. THEY'RE ALL RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE THEY ALL LET LABOUR WIN :mad:

Yes, rishi’s unicorns would be finally shitting rainbows after a 14 year wait.

Alex

There was one post which went sort of 'my parents are ok they don't need it , what's the fuss? '
I retired in May so I imagine I would have got it but will not now do so. I don't need it either but the point is that universal benefits are well universal you don't have to worry that anyone is missing out. If we really do need to recuperate money and not pay it to those who don't need it then a better idea is recoup the balance from taxation but that seems to be a no-no for Labour as much as it was for the Tories.

I retired in May so I imagine I would have got it but will not now do so. I don't need it either but the point is that universal benefits are well universal you don't have to worry that anyone is missing out. If we really do need to recuperate money and not pay it to those who don't need it then a better idea is recoup the balance from taxation but that seems to be a no-no for Labour as much as it was for the Tories.
Makes perfect sense and as a bonus, we could be spared the nauseating spectacle of some Labour voters trying to justify 71% of pensioners with a disability and 83% of the over-80s losing this benefit.

Makes perfect sense and as a bonus, we could be spared the nauseating spectacle of some Labour voters trying to justify 71% of pensioners with a disability and 83% of the over-80s losing this benefit.

What has a disability got to do with it? Disability isn’t a proxy for poverty in the elderly. It imposes specific costs, which are met separately. But it doesn’t bear on winter fuel allowance.

Last edited:
What has a disability got to do with it? Disability isn’t a proxy for poverty in the elderly. It imposes specific costs, which are met separately. But it doesn’t bear on winter fuel allowance.

As the attached report makes abundantly clear the disabled are already the most likely to be left destitute by cuts to essential benefits, are most directly affected by cuts to public services and are the most impacted by the austerity politics of people like Osborne and Reeves.

I’ll leave you to work out why, set against the reality, that withdrawing WFA from 73% of disabled pensioners is the politics of the sewer:

As the attached report makes abundantly clear the disabled are already the most likely to be left destitute by cuts to essential benefits, are most directly affected by cuts to public services and are the most impacted by the austerity politics of people like Osborne and Reeves.

I’ll leave you to work out why withdrawing WFA from 73% of disabled pensioners is the politics of the sewer:

A two paragraph summary makes nothing clear.

I’m very interested in what Labour does with PIP and DLA. And with the grants from LAs for house modifications. Mixing up disability welfare issues with this ridiculous shroud waving over winter fuel allowance, after years of the left moaning about Tories targeting benefits to the grey vote, is specious, and it does no good at all for genuine disability advocacy.

A two paragraph summary makes nothing clear.

I’m very interested in what Labour does with PIP and DLA. And with the grants from LAs for house modifications. Mixing up disability welfare issues with this ridiculous shroud waving over winter fuel allowance, after years of the left moaning about Tories targeting benefits to the grey vote, is specious, and it does no good at all for genuine disability advocacy.

The summary and the paper make crystal clear that the disabled are and have been disproportionately impacted by austerity. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you went to debate PIP or DLA there is a massive thread on it but don’t think whataboutery is going to work here. The thread is about the legislative agenda of the new Labour government.

To date, that agenda has been to retain the two child cap on child benefit condemning 300,000 children to poverty and to hammer the poorest and most vulnerable pensioners. Further austerity is coming in the budget and Labour is promising ‘reform’ (privatisation) of the NHS.

The summary and the paper make crystal clear that the disabled are and have been disproportionately impacted by austerity. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you went to debate PIP or DLA there is a massive thread on it but don’t think whataboutery is going to work here. The thread is about the legislative agenda of the new Labour government.

To date, that agenda has been to retain the two child cap on child benefit condemning 300,000 children to poverty and to hammer the poorest and most vulnerable pensioners. Further austerity is coming in the budget and Labour is promising ‘reform’ (privatisation) of the NHS.

But they are precisely not hammering the poorest and most vulnerable pensioners. Except in the specific case, as noted by Dystopiary, of people who can’t afford to operate powered mobility and healthcare kit. And yeah, that’s something it’s fair to question, but not by talking about disabled pensioners en masse.

Ah, powered kit. I was thinking of WFA in terms of heating. Yeah, that’s an issue. I wonder if there will be specific grants for it.
Heating is a big issue. Disabled people tend to need more heating, as do old people. Combine the two - need even more heating.

And OMG Silas, as a number of posters have pointed out, loads of older people don't apply for what they're entitled to, for the reasons they've explained.

Alternative to what? If you mean an alternative to a government imposing austerity and attacking the poorest in society how’s your alternative working out do you think?
Isn't it you who needs to be informing folk what their alternative action should have been - the folk who should be ashamed of themselves?

Back
Top Bottom