Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Boris Johnson's death sentence

Because they are inefficient and useless. But we know that. Just because they don't appear to act doesn't mean to say we should sweep it under the carpet and let it blow over. There are other issues at stake here which should be questioned. They have been questioned before but nothing ever changes of course. I won't be complicit by ignoring it.
I'm not ignoring it. But we all know the government won't act because her husband skips a few meals

ecause they are inefficient and useless. But we know that. Just because they don't appear to act doesn't mean to say we should sweep it under the carpet and let it blow over. There are other issues at stake here which should be questioned. They have been questioned before but nothing ever changes of course. I won't be complicit by ignoring it.

I'm not convinced that caring - apart from RR and her immediate family - is part of the scene here. It's all, and you'll forgive me, but I include you, for the reasons I set out above, about performative caring, being seen to care/do something.

You, eventually, admit that there isn't a solution that would both satisfy Iran and wouldn't reward hostage taking and give £500m to people who hang gay people from cranes in sports stadiums - which, to be clear, isn't an acceptable outcome - yet you blame HMG for not 'doing something', the something being somewhat mysterious, but that doesn't seem to matter...

Very sadly, NZR is just a poster girl for much bigger issues, but that doesn't mean we should forget about her and others in a similar position to her. In fact I seem to recall that "ransoms" were paid by allies to release people in a similar position to her. Should we follow that lead or should we have spoken out against it. Potentially, behind all this is ransom monies resulting from a failed arms deal. We should not be manufacturing or dealing arms. Did we try to stop the lifting of the arms embargo when it expired recently or the trade embargoes prior to that Have we done much to enlist the help of our allies or the United Nations?

We have £400 million of Iran's money which doesn't belong to us. Because of sanctions we can't give it back, but, if it were dressed up as humanitarian aid it would be a bitter pill to swallow but might work?
BBC News - Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Husband vows to continue hunger strike

Boris Johnson made things worse.
Pay the fucking money…it’s a fraction of the amount these Tories have corruptly given their mates, and also stolen. Russia may not be the only kleptocracy.
Every single PMQ’s somebody should ask this question:
‘Prime minister, British National Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe who has been imprisoned in Iran now for over six years because you made her position worse, can you provide the House with an update on her circumstances?’
Every single PMQ’s.
Every one.

Might be a good faith gesture ahead of the rumoured revival of the Iranian nuclear deal, although that has stalled recently as I understand Russia was a partner to it and they're unlikely to want something that allows Iran to start increasing global oil supplies.

Reactions: tim
She's on her way to the airport now along with Anoosheh Ashouri

Boris Johnson is running round 10 downing street flapping his hands and wailing as he knows precisely what she intends to do to him, as she rightly blames him for so much of her ordeal

She's on her way to the airport now along with Anoosheh Ashouri

Fantastic news but it’s an indictment on successive UK administrations that it took so long.

Back
Top Bottom