Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Boris Johnson's death sentence

Yup. The detail is that the money is held in trust by the MOD, if the MOD gives the money to Iran - or some intermediary - then the Defence Secretary could (theoretically, and possibly not theoretically) find themselves in serious legal trouble, including a long prison sentence.

The FCO think the MOD's legal advice is wrong, but it wouldn't be the Foreign Secretary doing 12 years in Belmarsh if the FCO is wrong, so the MOD think the FCO can go and fuck themselves...

To be fair when the rozzers show up at the Defence Secretary's office to nick him, he'll tell them that he will forcefully resist arrest, plod will sarkily say, "You and who's army?"...............................

Yup. The detail is that the money is held in trust by the MOD, if the MOD gives the money to Iran - or some intermediary - then the Defence Secretary could (theoretically, and possibly not theoretically) find themselves in serious legal trouble, including a long prison sentence.

The FCO think the MOD's legal advice is wrong, but it wouldn't be the Foreign Secretary doing 12 years in Belmarsh if the FCO is wrong, so the MOD think the FCO can go and fuck themselves...
Just catching up with news. It is complicated. It will be resolved soon. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe saga nearing its end, says former Foreign Office chief

Lots of pretty gruesome stuff in this report about her treatment while captive:

i dunno though, I’m not sure if a Human Rights charity publishing such an account right now is the best thing to do, wasn’t it cooperating with such an organisation that was used as the reason for banging her up in the first place? I’d have thought keeping a bit quiet about this would be a better strategy at the moment. I don’t think you can shame the regime into letting her out, they don’t give a shit.

This really - if this is coming towards the end of this saga, it's going to be a choreographed end, in a 'you do this, and I'll do that' way, with each side rather keeping their gobs shut so as to allow the other to make agreed concessions - some of which could be politically difficult if demanded too loudly by the other side.

It's more than just NZR, there is a shocking list of people detained in Iran List of foreign nationals detained in Iran
I was listening to the wife of Anoush Ashoori on the radio a few minutes ago. It was shocking, chilling, horrific what she had to say Anoush Ashoori

They must be brought to justice for torturing people and not just the foreign nationals they are holding.
Have you heard of Guantanamo bay?

Other way round.

That it's been kicked off into the long grass with Iran not unhappy be that it's been done so is an indication that there's a wider conversation going on with other European powers, Iran and the US about how to fix the money-hostages-nukes triangle, rather than pander to a single issue pressure group who (understably) seem to care nothing for any of the other issues, even though it's pretty unarguable that those other issues carry far greater longer term consequences than the hostages.

Giving half a billion quid in hard currency to a state that hangs gays from cranes in football stadiums and has spent the last decade actively supporting a regime that gasses it's own citizens seems like a pretty nuanced form of humanitarianism to me...

Fucking hell, what kind of witless shit is this?

'explain how you're going to get her free'. Fucking quality geo-political analysis you've got there - whip out the unicorns and the fairy dust.

Send a tweet - shit the bed, it's the fucking march of the Lib-Dems...

How desperate would you be if it was you, in that situation after all these years?

Surely after all these years, there's a learning process that this kind of rubbish has no effect?

You can certainly argue that Richard Radcliffe going on R4 and talking about NZR has an effect in keeping the issue in the public eye, but this crap has no impact on HMG's ability, or application, to attempt to get some solution. It simply makes the people doing this stuff look appallingly foolish and unrealistic.

If you think HMG should give the Iranian government - and the republican guard and its impressive programme of terrorism and hostage taking - £400m in hard currency, for the release of the hostages, then fine, just have the courage to say so, and the courage to accept that other people will die, and others will be taken hostage because you've stumped up the cash - but don't hide behind pathetic petitions and tweet campaigns....

I’ve suggested this before but could we swap Urban’s favourite politician Jeremy corbyn for Nazanine? He’d love it over there

Back
Top Bottom