Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - Boris Johnson's death sentence

I hope there's truth in that report, though I can't help feeling that Raab is clutching at straws. This might be his back door way of getting help with piling on pressure. Still, if it helps..

I don't know if they are that unpredictable...

They might be more amenable and want to win friends and influence people with the Biden WH - the bloke (Robert Mallet) who helped negotiate the nuclear deal for Obama has been made Iran envoy.

Iran has a Byzantine power structure/structures, usually in competition/conflict with each other and with different objectives - who is winning at any point is often difficult to tell, and how they will go about managing their different audiences/targets/enemies is more difficult to predict.

If nothing else, we certainly can't rely on Iran to do the decent thing and I am not just taking about NZR but many other prisoners who might have dual nationality, might be charged with political things, spying, treason Etc. NZR is certainly not alone in her plight,

I am not a betting man and certainly wouldn't bet on her release any time soon

We cannot let this massive milestone go unnoticed.​
My name is Richard Ratcliffe, and I am the husband of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. As you know, Nazanin is a British-Iranian citizen who has been unjustly imprisoned in Iran for nearly five years. Thank you so much for taking action for Nazanin during this time.

Our five years are almost done. Nazanin is due to complete her five-year sentence on 7 March. My hope is that Nazanin should be coming home to the UK, to me and our six-year-old daughter, Gabriella. We are all counting down the days to when she should be flying home - 8 March.

As the deadline approaches, we are becoming increasingly unsure - is this really an imminent homecoming? We have had no response to our queries from the Iranian government. The UK government has not been able to confirm that preparations are in place to get her home: to remove the ankle tag that restricts her movements, to return her British or Iranian passports, to clear her to catch a plane. The silence has become very alarming, almost as though her release date is being pretended away.

Please stand with me and Nazanin in our countdown to what should be the day she comes home. We cannot let this massive milestone go unnoticed. Amnesty UK and I will be posting online every day, calling on the Iranian authorities and the UK government to do everything necessary to secure Nazanin’s release, so that she can immediately fly home to us.

Join me and Amnesty UK by sharing our daily social media posts as we countdown the next 10 crucial days.​

She is, to put it crudely, a diplonatic tool of the regime.

Let's see what happens.

I am moderately more optimistic about the chances that all the hostages will be released - it's not just NZR - with the Biden WH actively looking for some form of deal with Iran, conversely however Biden is far less transactional and ego-driven than Trump, and he may well look to just get what he wants from a nuclear deal and accept not getting the plaudits that getting the various hostages out.

He may also take a longer view about the wisdom of rewarding hostage taking behaviour.

Presumably it is the international sanctions regime that is preventing us paying the money back?

Yup. The detail is that the money is held in trust by the MOD, if the MOD gives the money to Iran - or some intermediary - then the Defence Secretary could (theoretically, and possibly not theoretically) find themselves in serious legal trouble, including a long prison sentence.

The FCO think the MOD's legal advice is wrong, but it wouldn't be the Foreign Secretary doing 12 years in Belmarsh if the FCO is wrong, so the MOD think the FCO can go and fuck themselves...

Back
Top Bottom