Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Myatts Fields North massive £150m regeneration project

When I first moved to the area and saw that some of the housing on the estate was sealed off and empty and how close it was to the park, I thought Lambeth must be running it down so they could flog it.

When I first moved to the area and saw that some of the housing on the estate was sealed off and empty and how close it was to the park, I thought Lambeth must be running it down so they could flog it.

One of the reasons so many people on Clapham Park jumped at the regeneration project there was because Lambeth had pretty much stopped doing anything except "handyman" maintenance on about half the blocks on the estate. It's the way they (and a lot of other local authorities) learned to operate after the Tories put an end to LA borrowing cheap money, to rate rises (and to rates themselves), and started surcharging councillors if they exceeded the rates cap set by central government.

The Myatts Field project is making a complete mess of the area. Lorries, dust and rubbish everywhere, loads of traffic up Akerman Road, and I nearly got run over by a huge lorry which came out of the site without looking.

As far as I can see, they have started building flats on the greenfield bits of the site rather than the promised improvement/replacement of some of the existing dwellings for LA tenants. It's more important for them to sell new flats quickly to wealthy new buyers, rather than look after the interests of the existing residents. IMO this is the model which will be used in future developments in Lambeth.

Prices look cheaper than vibrant Brixton Square.
Vibrancy is obviously something that commands a premium ;)
...... Anyway another more subversive rebranding has taken place now I see, someone has rearranged the the letters at one of the gates so what used to say 'oval quarter' now reads 'OVAL SQUA_TER' :D
Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so you'll have to take my word for it.

Given that it's still a building site I can't help but feel that
'Oval Quarter is London’s most dynamic and desirable new community'
is deserving of major bullcrap call-out.
Arseholes.

Also - 'Oval Quarter' = 'Definitely not that Myatts Fields you've heard about on the news oh dearie me no, not at all'.
Arseholes.

First wave of private housing sold out......... Marketing suite doesn't open for another two weeks ..........

Last edited:
First wave of private housing sold out.........
Mainly to overseas buy-to-let landlords I expect:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/property-club/10048856/london-buy-to-let.html

One bed flats starting at £259,950 :eek:

...Thomas McAlister, manager of international property at Colliers International, thinks it’s a low-stress option. “The process is transparent and you know the quality of what you are buying and what the property will rent out for,” says McAlister, who cites London’s Oval Quarter – where one-bed flats start at £259,950 – as a project that attracts overseas landlords.

Bravo Lambeth for improving the supply of affordable housing for the benefot of local people!

Not.

Back to a land of Lords and serfs....

Mainly to overseas buy-to-let landlords I expect:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/property-club/10048856/london-buy-to-let.html

One bed flats starting at £259,950 :eek:

I wouldnt be surprised if you were right even though the publicity machine for oval quarter tells us its mostly young professionals striving to get on the property ladder.
if i was a cynic i could almost believe the two examples on the builders website were the creation of a copywriter so similar are their accounts.............
http://www.higginshomes.co.uk/news/First Time Buys Find An Affordable Alternative at Oval Quarter
http://higginshomesblog.co.uk/2013/08/20/first-time-buyer-puts-down-roots-at-oval-quarter/
anyway anyone fancying one of the bargain flats at £259k will be disappointed as the next lot start at £299k probably because of the prestigious location just off Brixton Road as opposed to the other side of the old park, thus making those forays into the vibrant hinterland that bit easier.

Last edited:
if i was a cynic i could almost believe the two examples on the builders website were the creation of a copywriter so similar are their accounts.............
http://www.higginshomes.co.uk/news/First Time Buys Find An Affordable Alternative at Oval Quarter
http://higginshomesblog.co.uk/2013/08/20/first-time-buyer-puts-down-roots-at-oval-quarter/
Yep...total PR puff :rolleyes:

Phil continues “...Oval Quarter offered a much more affordable option and, with the opportunity to buy a new build home off plan, we didn’t want to miss our chance.”

One key attraction for the couple was the build quality at Oval Quarter. Phil comments: “The development was still in its foundation phase so all we had to go on were floorplans and CGI’s. We were instantly impressed with the quality of the apartments for the price you pay; not only do they offer a considerable amount of square footage but the specifications are extremely high.
How do you know what the build quality is like by looking at CGI drawings and buying off plan??

Mate of mine who moved into a new 'luxury flat' in the Quadrant in Brixton/Stockwell found the build quality was actually quite shit when she moved in, with a massive snag list.

Yep...total PR puff :rolleyes:
How do you know what the build quality is like by looking at CGI drawings and buying off plan?.

Dunno, but the first phase of buildings has now sold out according to the Oval Quarter website with most of it still looking very much unfinished.

Reading lots of stuff about unhappy council leaseholders and tenants at Myatts North…with the developers failing to do repairs etc

Anyone know any more?

Gniewosz

Reading lots of stuff about unhappy council leaseholders and tenants at Myatts North…with the developers failing to do repairs etc Anyone know any more?
I have been noticing that the bins for domestic waste seem to be struggling and piles of tesco carriers full of rubbish are piling up around them.....

in this case I think the bins just aren't big enough, they are smaller than a wheely bin but they are meant to serve several households, very nice brushed metal finish though :facepalm:

I was thinking they were more like our re-sized bins up here, which are big enough - if you bother to recycle

Reading lots of stuff about unhappy council leaseholders and tenants at Myatts North…with the developers failing to do repairs etc

Anyone know any more?

Gniewosz

I've put down a public notice question for the next Lambeth Council Corporate Committee (i.e. audit committee), as have the residents. The issues go a lot further than repairs and bins. Will post the full text of the questions shortly. The meeting is on April 2.

I'm too drunk to read this thread which i'm not familiar with. I'm not sure what the issue is with the bins. We all need to put our rubbish out, most of it supurflicious (not even close with spell checker, i'll leave it as it is lol) capitalist packaging that we ought not to be responsible for preprocessing nor made guilty for as consumers when they burn the planet on an industrial scale for profit.

Just make the bins bigger, the packaging smaller, tax the corporates for excess packaging, come and collect the rubbish regularly, pay the refuse collectors a decent wage that we all pay for via local government according to our means.

I'm too drunk to read this thread which i'm not familiar with. I'm not sure what the issue is with the bins. We all need to put our rubbish out, most of it supurflicious (not even close with spell checker, i'll leave it as it is lol) capitalist packaging that we ought not to be responsible for preprocessing nor made guilty for as consumers when they burn the planet on an industrial scale for profit.

Just make the bins bigger, the packaging smaller, tax the corporates for excess packaging, come and collect the rubbish regularly, pay the refuse collectors a decent wage that we all pay for via local government according to our means.

Exactly right about packaging.

However, I suspect larger bins discourage recycling.

Back
Top Bottom