Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Myatts Fields North massive £150m regeneration project

I'm pretty sure it's Mostyn Gardens, the health centre on Patmos road is being relocated so it might extend as far up as that but I doubt they'll do owt to the submarine, it's not still functional is it?
I'm pleased they are leaving some of the green space, as it is it's neglected and underused, it could be a nice local green spot with some planting and seating and some of it is just wasted.
The plans could be better but it could be a hell of a lot worse

I started a thread on this last year - might be worth merging them together? (**ed: threads merged)

Most of this development will be built right on top of Mostyn Gardens, a large open green space with a football pitch. Despite being used by the local kids, youth groups, footballers etc, the park has been criminally neglected by the council for at least the past 5 years and looks pretty sorry now. (Part of me thinks maybe the council did this on purpose - to reduce usage of the area and make it easier to build on. But that's not the main point.)

The planning application for this was put forward in spring 2010. The developers very cleverly failed to properly consult the local residents living around the area, so few people knew about the proposed development until the very last minute. The correct drawings and plans weren't even available to inspect at the library, as they should have been. The developers DID consult people living on the fairly small Myatts North estate (which is immediately next to Mostyn Gardens) and impressed them with glossy leaflets, exhibitions and beautifully drawn architects plans showing them what their newly rebuilt homes might look like. Despite objections, and despite the planning committee even acknowledging the failure to consult properly (which I believe is required by law), the application was approved. I think a lot of the locals were pretty shocked when they realised this green space would be built upon, with views across the park replaced by huge 5 storey buildings.

To be fair, the plans do include a new 'green space', but it's much much smaller than the existing one and wont be visible from the road. It's kind of triangular shaped and will be surrounded on 3 sides by high blocks of flats. Basically, its a grudging concession added by the developers who I'm sure would have preferred to have built more flats there.

I'm not against rebuilding Myatts North - some of it is a bit run down and there's a desperate shortage of social housing in the area - but the developers have taken the easiest and cheapest route by sticking most of the new build on a park which should be retained for community use. It's fucking sad and unfortunately many local people found out about it too late to build a real campaign of objection. And now it's too late as (outline) permission has been granted. Also, most of the new 'units' will be 'affordable' housing - which is NOT the same thing as social housing. Going on experience of previous similar developments, most of the flats will probably be £200k+ and snapped by young professionals and buy-to-let landlords.

There's something fishy about it IMO...at the very least it'll certainly be an expensive long term endeavour for the council with some massive profits to be taken by the developer.

By the way, IIRC the 'submarine' is being retained but the road around it being narrowed and re-routed so some more flats can be built along Akerman Road by the back of the Charles Edward Brookes school.

By the way, IIRC the 'submarine' is being retained but the road around it being narrowed and re-routed so some more flats can be built along Akerman Road by the back of the Charles Edward Brookes school.

Not only is the submarine being retained, it's chimneys are being increased in height by a further 4 metres each because the capacity of the boilers underneath is being increased.

The developers ditched their earlier commitment to building a new carbon-neutral bio-fuel powered Combined Heat and Power (CHP) plant on the estate in favour of the cheaper option of turning the existing boiler into a gas-fired CHP plant. Then they pretended they had never planned to do anything else when it was raised at Planning Committee.

I'm no fan of bio-fuels, but this decision has left the residents of Myatts North estate at the whim of the volatile international gas markets for the next 25yrs. A poor decision.

All the trees along Akerman Road and alongside Mostyn Gardens have been chopped down in preparation for the development :(:(:(

The place looks naked.

Well, looks like things are underway, a crew has chopped down and removed all the trees from the green space with industrial efficiency so I guess it's just a matter of time before the hoardings go up. Living close by this development has been looming for some time and now the reality of the situation is dawning. A rough count suggests 30-ish new buildings in the area most a minimum of 4 storeys. Really looking forward to five years of noise dust and traffic, and the eventual transformation of this area to a truly urban bland and planned environment, soon it'll be time to plug the earphones into my smartphone so i don't look like weirdo...........

I started a thread on this last year - might be worth merging them together? (**ed: threads merged)

Most of this development will be built right on top of Mostyn Gardens, a large open green space with a football pitch. Despite being used by the local kids, youth groups, footballers etc, the park has been criminally neglected by the council for at least the past 5 years and looks pretty sorry now. (Part of me thinks maybe the council did this on purpose - to reduce usage of the area and make it easier to build on. But that's not the main point.)

The planning application for this was put forward in spring 2010. The developers very cleverly failed to properly consult the local residents living around the area, so few people knew about the proposed development until the very last minute. The correct drawings and plans weren't even available to inspect at the library, as they should have been. The developers DID consult people living on the fairly small Myatts North estate (which is immediately next to Mostyn Gardens) and impressed them with glossy leaflets, exhibitions and beautifully drawn architects plans showing them what their newly rebuilt homes might look like. Despite objections, and despite the planning committee even acknowledging the failure to consult properly (which I believe is required by law), the application was approved. I think a lot of the locals were pretty shocked when they realised this green space would be built upon, with views across the park replaced by huge 5 storey buildings.

To be fair, the plans do include a new 'green space', but it's much much smaller than the existing one and wont be visible from the road. It's kind of triangular shaped and will be surrounded on 3 sides by high blocks of flats. Basically, its a grudging concession added by the developers who I'm sure would have preferred to have built more flats there.

I'm not against rebuilding Myatts North - some of it is a bit run down and there's a desperate shortage of social housing in the area - but the developers have taken the easiest and cheapest route by sticking most of the new build on a park which should be retained for community use. It's fucking sad and unfortunately many local people found out about it too late to build a real campaign of objection. And now it's too late as (outline) permission has been granted. Also, most of the new 'units' will be 'affordable' housing - which is NOT the same thing as social housing. Going on experience of previous similar developments, most of the flats will probably be £200k+ and snapped by young professionals and buy-to-let landlords.

There's something fishy about it IMO...at the very least it'll certainly be an expensive long term endeavour for the council with some massive profits to be taken by the developer.

Thanks for this post, I thought it was just me........

Thanks for this post, I thought it was just me........
No, not just you. We live there and the 'consultation' was a joke. It's a horrible development and something that will seriously effect my commitment to continue to live there. Never mind.

The PFI deal has closed:

REGENTER MYATTS FIELD NORTH CONSORTIUM ACHIEVES FINANCIAL CLOSE ON LAMBETH HOUSING PFI PROJECT

For release: 3 May 2012

The Regenter Myatts Field North consortium comprising Regenter (a 50/50 joint venture between John Laing and Pinnacle Regeneration Group), Higgins Construction, Rydon Maintenance, Pinnacle PSG and E.ON has achieved financial close on the Lambeth Myatts Field North Housing PFI project.

The project will transform Myatts Field North in Lambeth into a new mixed and sustainable community, having obtained approval by HM Treasury for £150m in Government funding in February 2012. The major regeneration of the Estate will begin this Spring, making it a more vibrant, welcoming, and greener environment.

The 25-year housing PFI project includes the construction of 808 new build homes and the modernisation and refurbishment of 172 existing homes. It will also include the development of a state-of-the-art landscaped park; development of new streets, green spaces and allotments; refurbishment of estate-based retail units and the construction of a new showpiece community centre with sports facilities.

The total new build of 808 new homes will encompass:

- 305 new Council homes to replace 100% demolished homes

- 146 affordable (shared ownership) homes

- 357 new homes for sale with ten per cent accommodating full wheelchair access.

A project specific Joint Venture Development Company called Myatts Field Development LLP (comprising Pinnacle Regeneration Group and Higgins Homes) has been set up to deliver the 357 market for sale new homes and 146 shared ownership homes in partnership with Notting Hill Home Ownership.

Sustainability is at the heart of the redevelopment proposals with a reduction in 80 per cent of carbon emissions. A combined heat and power plant installed on the estate will provide heating and hot water to the entire development. The master plan returns to the estate a traditional street pattern, which opens the area to surrounding neighbourhoods.

Lambeth Council Divisional Director for Housing, Rachel Sharpe, said: “This regeneration project heralds a fantastic new era for people living on the estate. When this project is complete our residents will benefit from better quality homes and their quality of life will have improved by an environment that is totally transformed.”

Jim Saunders, Managing Director of Regenter, said: “We are delighted that the Regenter Myatts Field North project has now achieved financial close and that the hard work on this critically important regeneration project can begin in earnest. The provision of mixed new and improved housing, open spaces, and community facilities will improve the lives of local people. We look forward to working in partnership with the London Borough of Lambeth, our consortium partners and the local community to deliver this much needed and incredibly exciting housing-led regeneration.”

Neil Euesden, Managing Director of Pinnacle PSG, the consortium’s housing management provider, said: “This is an exciting community based regeneration scheme for the residents of the Myatts Field North Estate. Pinnacle PSG is very pleased to be part of this successful partnership delivering transformational and sustained change to the community. We look forward to continuing and developing our relationship with local residents and the Council.”

Richard Higgins, Chairman, Higgins Group PLC said: “We are delighted to be involved in this significant project which will revitalise the Myatts Field Estate.”

Michael McCammond, Director of Development and Investment at Pinnacle Regeneration Group, said: “The Myatts Field North regeneration is hugely significant for us because it represents an exemplar for everything Pinnacle Regeneration Group stands for. Within an exciting mixed tenure masterplan, we are combining our “capital” - as a long term investor in the PFI and developer of new high quality 1 and 2 bed apartments for sale - with a 25 year tenure-blind service delivery commitment that we believe will guarantee a successful long term future for the new community”.

Jeff Henton, MD of Rydon Maintenance commented: “As the consortium partner responsible for the refurbishment element of the project and the long term facilities management of the estate, we look forward to working very closely with the local community and the residents. This is another really exciting opportunity to strengthen the excellent relationships we already have in and with the London Borough of Lambeth.”

Jeremy Bungey, Head of Community Energy at E.ON, said: “I’m delighted that this project has taken another step forward today. Working with our partners we look forward to helping create a vibrant, modern and more sustainable community, lowering residents’ energy costs and generating a lower-carbon future for the UK.”

"exciting, modern, vibrant, blah blah blah"

What the fuck is a "sustainable" community anyway?

Marketing-speak crap - just drop a load of words like "sustainable" into your press releases to keep the council planners happy.

Absolutement. You could play jargon-word bingo with that press release and win pretty quickly. I particularly like 'more vibrant'.

"exciting, modern, vibrant, blah blah blah"

What the fuck is a "sustainable" community anyway?

Marketing-speak crap - just drop a load of words like "sustainable" into your press releases to keep the council planners happy.

I'm just surprised that no cunt mentioned "empowerment" of the tenants.

Still, you can't empower people by reducing their amenities, can you? :(

The big tree that was destined for preservation is looking a bit sorry for itself behind the barricades, not well at all......anyway I was thinking about the "decanting" process for residents of the demolished properties. There is a 5 year deadline for completion so I'm thinking if that is accurate won't most people have got nicely settled into wherever they are decanted to ? and where do they get "decanted" to, is there a choice ? Also thinking if there are children involved won't moving schools be a little problematic and even disruptive, anyone who is 7 or over will be at secondary school and have a whole new load of friends. I really wonder how many of the previous occupiers will actually come back to the new improved estate..........i'm also confused by the fact that central govt is coughing up £150 million to fund this, I thought the whole reason that private housing was being built was because there wasnt enough public cash to renovate the estate, how come the corporate bodies have got their snouts in the trough if there is all that taxpayers money available, is it something to do with quantitive easing ?

The big tree that was destined for preservation is looking a bit sorry for itself behind the barricades, not well at all......anyway I was thinking about the "decanting" process for residents of the demolished properties. There is a 5 year deadline for completion so I'm thinking if that is accurate won't most people have got nicely settled into wherever they are decanted to ? and where do they get "decanted" to, is there a choice ? Also thinking if there are children involved won't moving schools be a little problematic and even disruptive, anyone who is 7 or over will be at secondary school and have a whole new load of friends. I really wonder how many of the previous occupiers will actually come back to the new improved estate..........i'm also confused by the fact that central govt is coughing up £150 million to fund this, I thought the whole reason that private housing was being built was because there wasnt enough public cash to renovate the estate, how come the corporate bodies have got their snouts in the trough if there is all that taxpayers money available, is it something to do with quantitive easing ?

Got it in one. Public money into private pockets. The overwhelming imperative of this lot of neoliberal shitehawks as well as the last lot of neoliberal shitehawks.

BTW, bet your tree ends up being pulled down because someone has "accidentally" sheared through part of the root network while digging nearby. :(

Got it in one. Public money into private pockets. The overwhelming imperative of this lot of neoliberal shitehawks as well as the last lot of neoliberal shitehawks.

BTW, bet your tree ends up being pulled down because someone has "accidentally" sheared through part of the root network while digging nearby. :(

................and the "decanting" no doubt is part of a fait accompli going by what you said on the the "Angel" thread............maybe I should be talking to Jerry Knight about the possibilities of an exclusive supper club at the newly Lexagonised Normandy Tavern

Reactions: CH1
The PFI deal has closed:
This is disgusting. Does no-one ever consider the fate of their kids? It's all very well doing PFIs now to save capital spend - who is going to be able to afford the interest and service charges on the project if the economy carries on like this for another 10 or 20 years (as has already happened in Japan with its "stagflation")

So is Iveagh House Surgery.
Anyone care to recommend a good Doctor's in Loughborough Junction area?

There's a good GP centre right at the top of Herne Hill Road by Loughborough Junction Station (address is 1-3 Herne Hill Road) but you might be out of their catchment zone if you live nearer to Patmos Road. I moved about half a mile away & had to stop going there.

Reactions: CH1
i'm also confused by the fact that central govt is coughing up £150 million to fund this, I thought the whole reason that private housing was being built was because there wasnt enough public cash to renovate the estate, how come the corporate bodies have got their snouts in the trough if there is all that taxpayers money available, is it something to do with quantitive easing ?
It's a PFI deal - Private Finance Initiative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_finance_initiative

Private business/banks/property developers etc put up the money (ie the £150m) to build the estate, and Lambeth Council leases it off them for 25 years, when it then reverts to council ownership. The level of annual rent is designed to ensure the developer gets WAY more than the £150m they initially shelled out. It's a very expensive way of funding public projects, but councils and the government like it because it means they get shiny new stuff without having to pay anything up front. Labour spunked £billions on PFI under Blair/Brown and got massively criticized by the tories for it. Now the tories are happy to carry on the scheme, given their mates are the beneficiaries of many of the deals. :(

The Council now want to do the same on Cressingham Gardens next to Brockwell Park, to the horror of the residents. All the estate needs is TLC and repairs, but instead the council want to demolish it so that they can raise cash by building even more flats on the same site :-(. We have started a Facebook page and an online petition to stop the demolition and 'regeneration' of the estate.
Please 'like' the Facebook page and sign the petition to stop yet another bad decision by the council:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SaveCressinghamGardens
Online petition: www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-cressingham-gardens-estate

The Council now want to do the same on Cressingham Gardens next to Brockwell Park, to the horror of the residents. All the estate needs is TLC and repairs, but instead the council want to demolish it so that they can raise cash by building even more flats on the same site :-(. We have started a Facebook page and an online petition to stop the demolition and 'regeneration' of the estate.
Please 'like' the Facebook page and sign the petition to stop yet another bad decision by the council:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SaveCressinghamGardens
Online petition: www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-cressingham-gardens-estate

Cressingham Gardens, using a back-of-an-envelope calculation, covers about 4 hectares (of prime residential land).
At 2005 prices that's about £7 million-£8 million pounds-worth of land. Just the grassy bits of the estate are over a hectare (£2 million), so Lambeth circling like a bunch of money-hungry vultures, with developers in tow, isn't surprising. They'd love to knock this estate down, decant us all to the less salubrious locations, and reap the profits of turning the land into another Brockwell Gate-type monstrosity. I've heard similar worries expressed by people on other small estates like Thornton Gardens. They think it'll be easier to bamboozle the tenants and residents of smaller estates; that we'll put up less resistance than the residents of larger estates.

I don't support this sort of thing at all. But as the Panda above says, it's hardly surprising.

Back
Top Bottom