Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Had an email from British Gas reminding me that I have smart meters and therefore I don't need to submit any meter readings this week. I suspect they are probably being overwhelmed with a rush at the moment.
One advantage of being with a bankrupt supplier (Bulb) ...
I may yet give them a reading for tomorrow - or I may estimate it.
I'm all set to be charged less than the £66 subsidy.
Somehow, Schrödinger -style, thinking about my energy use has given me my smallest monthly usage in years.

Somehow, Schrödinger -style, thinking about my energy use has given me my smallest monthly usage in years.
With a bit of luck you might have got lost in the system

Yes a bit early to tell but my usage this month is well down from last September. Partially I think from powering down the computer when I'm away for a while and replacing wasteful fridge, but also scheduling cooking more when the sun's shining so it's powered from the solar panels.

Yes a bit early to tell but my usage this month is well down from last September. Partially I think from powering down the computer when I'm away for a while and replacing wasteful fridge, but also scheduling cooking more when the sun's shining so it's powered from the solar panels.
I'm looking forward to having solar - so embarrassing when several of my neighbours have it - but I'm not staying here for much longer.

I'm with Bulb but have a smart meter, so they just emailed me telling me they've got my reading for September - £85 of leccy and gas apparently, £444 in credit.

I can't make comparisons to last year, because of the massive over estimating on the eclectic, but my usage ex-VAT in August was £53.90, and I am on target for Sept. being £40 despite needing lights on more, that's mainly down to using the air-flyer instead of the oven, and the new boiler just heating the hot water I need, instead of heating a tank.

The new fridge freezer turned-up today, so I am looking forward to seeing how much that saves me over the coming days.

I'm looking forward to having solar - so embarrassing when several of my neighbours have it - but I'm not staying here for much longer.
Am reluctant to mention it really because most people particularly renters don't/can't get it so constantly bringing it up could be annoying. :oops: I was thinking of adding to one of the solar threads so only people with them/interested see the posts.

I'm with Bulb but have a smart meter, so they just emailed me telling me they've got my reading for September - £85 of leccy and gas apparently, £444 in credit.
Bulb will let you reduce payments to about £40 - I did that to get my credit down.
I'm determined to prove my diligent meter reading and spreadsheet is better than a smart meter.
Roll-on solar power - and if my new place makes it sensible, perhaps a small wind turbine as compensation for the days when it's too windy to go sailing ...

Just had an account update from my supplier (Bulb). I'm paying them £103 a month, but my account is currently £567 in credit. I think I'll wait the winter out, and then do something about it - it seems clear to me that I'm overpaying, particularly as I don't plan to be using that much heating this winter. One of the advantages of the bachelor lifestyle - there's only one of us to worry about caving in and turning up the heat :cool:

Just had an account update from my supplier (Bulb). I'm paying them £103 a month, but my account is currently £567 in credit. I think I'll wait the winter out, and then do something about it - it seems clear to me that I'm overpaying, particularly as I don't plan to be using that much heating this winter. One of the advantages of the bachelor lifestyle - there's only one of us to worry about caving in and turning up the heat :cool:
Yeah, I'm going to leave my Bulb credit where it is for now, and keep my payments at the current level. If I come out in spring with significant credit still in the bank, I'll use it as spending money for my New York holiday in April.

Bulb will let you reduce payments to about £40 - I did that to get my credit down.
I'm determined to prove my diligent meter reading and spreadsheet is better than a smart meter.
Roll-on solar power - and if my new place makes it sensible, perhaps a small wind turbine as compensation for the days when it's too windy to go sailing ...
Bulb can put you onto a variable DD so if you've built up a balance it uses that first then when that's gone it takes the full amount from the specified bank account

This is what we've got because (back in this thread) I found that whilst my balance is protected WHEN bulb eventually do go through the hoop it doesn't get transferred to the new supplier or something, end result is everyone ends up paying extra, which isn't right

Has anyone with OVO received an update on the new rates from tomorrow?

I've not received an e-mail and I can't see anything on their site, which shows a lack of courtesy to their customers.

I've not received an e-mail and I can't see anything on their site, which shows a lack of courtesy to their customers.
Not quite the same but I only heard from SSE on Tue.

Had a bit of a panic as I thought the new DD rate the gave included the reduction for the £400 form the government. But there was a separate attachment that said they will credit this to my account a few days after the DD goes out, which wasn't how I thought it was meant to work. But I assume OVO will do the same.

Given their track record you might want to check that they're not charging you an extra £66 / month instead of giving you the government subsidy

I had an email saying my DD would reduce but no further email yet. It did show a new price when i logged in a few days ago though but new statement wasn't generated yet.

I just gave Bulb my final reading for September. 105.7 kwh - 3.5 per day because the last reading was estimated.
My actual average for September is more like 4.7.
My calculation for September says £51.12, but it usually ends up being about a fiver more.
I was £130.36 in credit, but they've decided to take £74.03 - add the £66 and I should end up over £200 in credit so I may well choose to reduce my payments to the minimum.

Just got an email from EON

My gas and electricity is going up from 185 quid a month (which I’ve been paying for two years) to……..150 Quid a month

I am now a really confused
Just got my bill for house

I have no fucking idea what’s going on

And 5 months of flat (smart meter)

I've No Idea about OVO but I have had my new rates from British Gas

1664553162223.png

1664553207562.png

Presumably you will be afflicted with comparable levels of extortion and thievery

Me too. Looks like their prices have dropped then because they were significantly higher when I checked online earlier. I'll edit to add the prices from this morning for comparison.

Edit: on the morning of 30 September 2022 the standard tariff was:

Elec 38.655 per kwh
S/C 38.487 per day

Gas 11.31 per kwh
S/C 33.54 per day

Also, my (flat on sale) Flex Avro tariff (now operated by Octopus) on the morning of 30 September 2022 was:

Elec 29.63 per kwh
S/C 31.88 per day

Gas 7.51 per kwh
S/C 27.22 per day

Substantial difference to BG :eek: Not sure if they updated their rates before BG. I'd better check that next.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this charge cap this morning, OK its simple enough to understand a cap on the average bill, but how the fuck is the average bill being worked out? retrospectively?, predictions based on previous periods?, does anyone even know?, seems open (almost designed so) to abuse by the suppliers.

Seems to me with this methodology a company cant even tell you what you are going to pay per KWH till after they charge you

elbows ???

Been thinking about this charge cap this morning, OK its simple enough to understand a cap on the average bill, but how the fuck is the average bill being worked out? retrospectively?, predictions based on previous periods?, does anyone even know?, seems open (almost designed so) to abuse by the suppliers.

Seems to me with this methodology a company cant even tell you what you are going to pay per KWH till after they charge you
The "average bill" thing is simply a marketing term being used (mainly) by the government to quantify what they're doing.

The actual cap is a per-unit price cap.

Me too. Looks like their prices have dropped then because they were significantly higher when I checked online earlier. I'll edit to add the prices from this morning for comparison.

Edit: on the morning of 30 September 2022 the standard tariff was:

Elec 38.655 per kwh
S/C 38.487 per day

Gas 11.31 per kwh
S/C 33.54 per day

Also, my (flat on sale) Flex Avro tariff (now operated by Octopus) on the morning of 30 September 2022 was:

Elec 29.63 per kwh
S/C 31.88 per day

Gas 7.51 per kwh
S/C 27.22 per day

Substantial difference to BG :eek: Not sure if they updated their rates before BG. I'd better check that next.

Those Flex Avro tariffs look like the pre-increase ones, as prices should only be going up from today.

The variations in those BG ones are very odd, and if they are charging under 28p per kwh for eclectic, that's bloody cheap! I've just tried to get a quote from them, but they are not quoting for new customers. :mad:

Energy Price Guarantee says:

The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.

Average standing charges for customers on default tariffs will remain capped in line with the levels set (in Great Britain) by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 October, at 46p per day for electricity and 28p per day for gas, for a typical dual fuel customer paying by direct debit. LINK

I am was a bit miffed that OVO is charging 35.31p kwh for electric, but the standing charge is only 42.67p per day, so with my low electric use that should mean I am 60p pm better off than if they used the exact figures in the Energy Price Guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom