Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

This looks like the email you get sent a few days before your DD gets taken. A sort of reminder to ensure you’ve got enough money in your account to cover it.

I would assume you’d get another email with your new DD amount with the £66 off soon. Maybe after you’ve made your September payment. If you don’t contact them.
Hmm. I’ve emailed them to ask them to reduce it but I’m away at present which might complicate things

I’ve just realised that my energy company is exempt from the price cap (one of the companies exempt because they genuinely buy directly from renewable providers rather than greenwashing with carbon credits). I’m not sure that the additional cost is particularly bearable — it’s now creeping up towards 50p per kWh.

I know the rest will all be priced the same at the moment but does anybody have any recommendations for electricity companies?

I finally got bulb to switch our account to variable DD so through choice we're not building up a buffer it will be interesting to get out first bill with the £66 knocked off, by my reckoning this months'll be around £10'odd

I’ve just realised that my energy company is exempt from the price cap (one of the companies exempt because they genuinely buy directly from renewable providers rather than greenwashing with carbon credits). I’m not sure that the additional cost is particularly bearable — it’s now creeping up towards 50p per kWh.

I know the rest will all be priced the same at the moment but does anybody have any recommendations for electricity companies?

You'll not find much difference in prices amongst the main players, so its really down to customer service, and for that I can in no way recommend OVO.

If it's creeping up to 50p per kwh, that's sounds expensive unless you have very low standing charges, here's the details of the 'Energy Price Guarantee' -

If you’re on a standard variable tariff
The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.
Standing charges
Average standing charges for customers on default tariffs will remain capped in line with the levels set (in Great Britain) by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 October, at 46p per day for electricity and 28p per day for gas, for a typical dual fuel customer paying by direct debit.

Yeah, it is definitely expensive, and the standing charge is the same as the cap (46p per day)

None of the electricity companies look like people I particularly want to be involved with, but it’s got to be better than paying an extra £70 per month just for the privilege of being with Good Energy.

It's the lining that looks like snow, but I am sure you knew that was what I was referring too.

BTW, are they just tops, or full body suits like mine?

I've just logged into my account to check, and Octopus are still running their £100 referral sign up offer (£50 each to the new sign up & to the existing customer).
so if any of your mates are already on Octopus you could ask for a referral code.

I've just logged into my account to check, and Octopus are still running their £100 referral sign up offer (£50 each to the new sign up & to the existing customer).
so if any of your mates are already on Octopus you could ask for a referral code.
Thanks for that.

I just went to have a look and they (and I suspect it’s not going to just be them) won’t even quote for me without a one-to-one phone call right now. I suspect it’s quite complicated to switch at the moment, and I’ve somewhat fucked up by not doing it a few months back. It’s a bit of a problem — my DD has been set to £350 per month, and that has created a surplus but I’ve no reason to think the surplus won’t now be used up over the winter. It looks like moving to the capped price is likely to save something like £100 per month over the winter.

I’m going to give them a ring — happy to use your referral if you want to take advantage of that £50?

Mrs Q has one of these funnily enough also on your roundabout recommendation though she will never know. I was asking for Xmas present ideas pre the Lurgy and you suggested searching for "something Scottish" despite (or possibly because) she's a city girl she loves visiting Scotland. This is what that search threw up. Hers is black and she loves it.

I heartily recommend getting one. Don’t pay full price though. They’re pretty steep. (Although not as steep as AverageJoe ‘s bill! 😱 - and every penny the energy companies don’t get is a Good Thing).

Eon unwilling to reduce a DD raised by £100 before the contribution (£33 raise after contribution from govt).

Will have to cancel the DD I think as I’m £150 in credit already and will not be using my heating this winter.

I didn't know some companies are exempt.

I don't really understand the logic.

My understanding is that the price of energy has gone up because of supply & demand effects - it's not that the cost of producing/extracting the energy has gone up. Hence the big fossil fuel extraction companies' profits are up, because they can charge higher prices without their basic costs really changing.

Surely the same is true of those generating "green" energy? The cost of producing it hasn't gone up, but the price they can sell it at has.

Of course it all looks different from a "supplier" company point of view because they just buy from the extractors and sell to the consumer. Their costs have actually gone up.

But whether the energy they are buying is from a wind farm or a gas fired power station, the cost is determined by the same thing - the inflated market price ... isn't it? Is there some reason they have to bear additional costs, compared to those not buying/selling exclusively green energy?

I agree, it doesn’t make much sense. Here’s what they say:

“…after it was first announced, a government committee recommended that there should be an exemption to the price cap for suppliers which contribute more than others to investing in renewables. After a thorough review by Ofgem, Good Energy was granted such an exemption. They agreed that we support renewables beyond other suppliers and that our costs are materially higher as a result.”

So it looks like maybe it initially made sense, because green energy suppliers faced additional input costs, but now they are flying under the radar with a grandfathered exemption, despite no longer having additional costs?

They do provide a pretty thorough attempt at a justification on that webpage, to be fair, regardless of whether or not you or I agree with it.

Whether or not a price cap is imposed on them, it seems like their business model is going to have to be based on hoping that a significant proportion of their customers are prepared to pay over-the-odds for allegedly greener energy (or that they don't notice they are). Seems a bit shaky to me. If sufficient nos of customers start switching away, I guess we'll find out whether they actually can afford to cap their own prices in order to compete.

Whether or not a price cap is imposed on them, it seems like their business model is going to have to be based on hoping that a significant proportion of their customers are prepared to pay over-the-odds for allegedly greener energy (or that they don't notice they are). Seems a bit shaky to me. If sufficient nos of customers start switching away, I guess we'll find out whether they actually can afford to cap their own prices in order to compete.
I didn’t mind paying more when prices generally were at 25% of current levels. But paying £20 extra a month is a very different proposition to paying £100 extra a month.

Same with me for Ecotricity - further complicated by having my solar with them. At least them not being subject to the cap meant they didn't go to the wall like so many.

Seems you use more than double the average amount of electricty. Do you have an electric car?
Nope. Nothing special like that.

Just a three bedroom house which is pretty warm anyway so we don't use the heating that much.

The usual TVs, laptops etc for a family of four. Fish tank and two vivariums.

I'll take a reading tomorrow and submit that and see what happens.

Had an email from British Gas reminding me that I have smart meters and therefore I don't need to submit any meter readings this week. I suspect they are probably being overwhelmed with a rush at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom