Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I had a metal liner in my chimney and they completed the job in 1/2 a day. I need to check the price as it sold with the fireplace.
Of course things, vary I must have been really lucky.
Mine cost £750 about 6 years ago. That was for 11m if liner, 13 bags of chimney insulation and included fitting the wood burner.

That shouldn't really happen. Does the overheating happen in rooms that get a lot of direct sunlight?
Yes. The living room is sun facing. It gets so hot. We recently had the building painted. So there was scaffolding all around it. Kept the sun out. I wish we could keep it. 😂

Yes. The living room is sun facing. It gets so hot. We recently had the building painted. So there was scaffolding all around it. Kept the sun out. I wish we could keep it. 😂
They should not really have installed insulation without thinking through overheating issues that might result. I'm guessing the insulation is on the outside of the walls meaning that the structure of the building warms up from sun coming through the windows and then can't cool down at the rate it would have done before. Providing some kind of additional shading to south facing windows would probably solve the problem. Done properly insulation should reduce overheating problems rather than increase them.

They should not really have installed insulation without thinking through overheating issues that might result. I'm guessing the insulation is on the outside of the walls meaning that the structure of the building warms up from sun coming through the windows and then can't cool down at the rate it would have done before. Providing some kind of additional shading to south facing windows would probably solve the problem. Done properly insulation should reduce overheating problems rather than increase them.
It was heaven when the scaffolding was up. They put a wooden plank that divided the upstairs and downstairs. It's surprising the difference it made. Especially on the 40 and above days.

My East-facing front bedroom is well-insulated.
It was a bit of a pain during the hot spells as the heat just built up and up ... but I only had to sleep downstairs for one night.
I resisted fitting my six inch fan in that window ...

It'll be a while before cooling is more important than heating in the UK.

Perhaps an advantage of using a bankrupt supplier (Bulb) is that I can micro-manage my payments.
I'm hoping to surprise them by significantly reducing my energy use.
IN FACT they just emailed me this :-
Based on your latest meter readings and the credit in your account, we're lowering your monthly payment amount from £110.94 to £74.03.

Just got an excited message from my flatmate about a text she got to apply for the rebate.

Told her I'd be wary as likely a scam. Googled to link to a news article that would support my theory (I know that the discount will be applied directly by the energy companies), and sure enough the article contained an example of the very text message she'd received.

Bulb recommends dropping my DD from £180 to £130, but I'm probably going to keep it as it is, in the hope I'll get a nice surprise in the spring and be able to withdraw some cash for holiday spending money.

Just got an excited message from my flatmate about a text she got to apply for the rebate.

Told her I'd be wary as likely a scam. Googled to link to a news article that would support my theory (I know that the discount will be applied directly by the energy companies), and sure enough the article contained an example of the very text message she'd received.
Yes i have had it twice now from 2 different numbers and dodgy looking url links. Forward them to 7726 (free scam report number).

I was paying about £100 a month at start of year which went up to £160 a month and then was due to go up again in oct to about £270 a month (all figures combined gas and electric). However this latest increase was before the cap was frozen and whatever else truss has announced so i'm not sure if it will go down again? ( fingers crossed it does )
Just logged in and looks like it's going down to £180 a month although new bill not there yet.

Interesting, they had knocked £66 a month off mine
My mistake it was £118 but this is what they said in their email, a bit confusing. Naturally you can’t call them!

I think what they’re telling me is that my payment would be £185 but for the govt contribution

F7104FB7-672C-43C7-82F9-062E7A5ECBAD.png

Last edited:
yes blocking off part of the window where the scaffolding was might help - or bottom half/three quarters so you still get some light in?

though with conservatories they say blinds inside are too late - the heat's already got in

I have a fleece onesie (onesy?) that came with the drysuit I bought for channel crossings, never used it under the drysuit as way too warm, but this winter could get some use indoors when Im sat at puter

Back
Top Bottom