Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Nice I suppose.

I have no idea what’s going to happen when I move house, the big companies are pretending they can’t take customers by some reports

I was paying about £100 a month at start of year which went up to £160 a month and then was due to go up again in oct to about £270 a month (all figures combined gas and electric). However this latest increase was before the cap was frozen and whatever else truss has announced so i'm not sure if it will go down again? ( fingers crossed it does )
Had email from ovo saying prices going down again due to cap freeze and they will contact me soon with new direct debit amount. :thumbs:

I was paying about £100 a month at start of year which went up to £160 a month and then was due to go up again in oct to about £270 a month (all figures combined gas and electric). However this latest increase was before the cap was frozen and whatever else truss has announced so i'm not sure if it will go down again? ( fingers crossed it does )
It probably won’t go down. I’m on a variable tariff and mine is going up very slightly in October.

presumably you know your usage ?,
I doubt any supplier will not charge the 34p for electricity and 10.3p for gas ...
Minus the £400.
Not off the top of my head although it'll be in my bills. I have smart meters so no estimated readings. I only really pay attention to the monthly direct debit and the balance to be honest.

Not off the top of my head although it'll be in my bills. I have smart meters so no estimated readings. I only really pay attention to the monthly direct debit and the balance to be honest.
My smart meter has gone on strike and isn't sending readings anymore so I've had estimated bills for the last 2 months. :(

Iv been driving past a windfarm recently and trying to spot the turbines that arent working. My guestimate is that between 10 and 20 % are not functioning. I would have thought that repairs should be fairly important and efficiently done, seems not.

Iv been driving past a windfarm recently and trying to spot the turbines that arent working. My guestimate is that between 10 and 20 % are not functioning. I would have thought that repairs should be fairly important and efficiently done, seems not.

I think depending upon wind conditions, to maximise total windfarm output they shut some turbines down.

Alex

Still not had an e-mail from OVO about new rates from 1st Oct., and I've logged in online just now as a new billing period starts today, and there isn't anything about it on the website.

My monthly bill for both electric & gas ending yesterday totalled just over £70, taking me just under £570 in credit, despite only paying a DD of £1pm for 3 months now, so imagine my [lack] of surprise to see them wanting to increase my DD to £191, the fuckwits. :facepalm:

View attachment 343935
Clearly I'll be using more gas over the next 6 months, but I'll be getting the £66-67 monthly credit [£400 total] from the government for those 6 months too, plus I am almost £570 in credit. I use 25% less than the average household, which is subject to the £2,500 ‘Energy Price Guarantee’, so for me that would be £1875 or £156pm, once you factor in my credit and the £400 from the government, that comes down to just £905 or £75pm for the next 12 months, NOT £191pm.

And, that's without things they don't know about, like the 30+ year old boiler being replaced [saving 30%+ on gas use], the new Air-Fryer being used instead of the main oven, and my overall plan of using the heating less as well, my target is to come out of the next six months still with a small credit, whilst continuing to pay just £1pm, which means I am on the lower rates for paying by DD.

So, clearly there's no way I'll be increasing my DD, and if they do, I'll change it back to just £1 and put in a formal complaint, with luck it will end up with the ombudsman again, I could do with another goodwill payment of £100-£150. :) :D

ETA - This should give High Voltage a bloody good laugh too. :D

I had a play yesterday, and I did actually increase my DD*, and the message about being almost £2.5k in debt in 12 months and needing to increase my DD to £191pm disappeared in a puff of smoke, and normally about 24 hours after those messages appear I get an e-mail about increasing my DD, that hasn't arrived, so I think I've beaten their system again.

* Increased from £1 to £2. :D

I had a play yesterday, and I did actually increase my DD*, and the message about being almost £2.5k in debt in 12 months and needing to increase my DD to £191pm disappeared in a puff of smoke, and normally about 24 hours after those messages appear I get an e-mail about increasing my DD, that hasn't arrived, so I think I've beaten their system again.

* Increased from £1 to £2. :D
Won't that just build up a massive debt over time though? I seriously doubt you use only £2 worth of leccy/gas each month :hmm:

See my post from yesterday, that I quoted just above, that explains it.
Still don't get it. I can't see how paying £2 a month would cover your elec/gas use?

Unless you already have a massive credit balance with them? (Apols if you said that earlier. Not got time to check right now)

Still don't get it. I can't see how paying £2 a month would cover your elec/gas use?

Unless you already have a massive credit balance with them? (Apols if you said that earlier. Not got time to check right now)

It's a combination of things, explained here.

gentlegreen, my 20+ year old fridge/freezer uses under 2kw a day, so I am surprised a little camping fridge uses more.

For combi boilers, the minimum recommended output temperature for thot water is between 50 °C and 60 °C, or 60 °C if you are heating a tank, otherwise bacteria responsible for Legionnaires’ Disease can thrive and multiply, it's a potentially fatal lung infection spread through the inhalation of water particles.
As I understand it, they do still recommend it for tankless systems but there's never actually been a case of it happening. The way tankless systems work, they should be extremely hostile to Legionnaire's at any temperature. I set mine to 48 when there was a toddler about and haven't seen any reason to raise it in the 10 years since.

I'm with Bulb and since the last bill was based on an estimated reading and a bit high and somehow I've got my usage down to under 5 units a day, my next bill will be the smallest in ages - if the £66 was going in this month it would likely be negative.
Let's hope October is similarly mild - though it's already been dipping to single figures at night ...

I haz socks :)

Our last bill from bulb was just under £60 for the month.

Ever since I've started "giving a fuck" and monitoring of electricity usage (so March to September) our monthly bill has been, give our take, £65 a month

As we don't use electricity for heating, well we do but it's minimal, I can't really see our usage going up that much, the £66 / month payment will almost certainly cover any increase, infact we'll probably come out ahead

Our last bill from bulb was just under £60 for the month.

Ever since I've started "giving a fuck" and monitoring of electricity usage (so March to September) our monthly bill has been, give our take, £65 a month

As we don't use electricity for heating, well we do but it's minimal, I can't really see our usage going up that much, the £66 / month payment will almost certainly cover any increase, infact we'll probably come out ahead
I still don't know how I was using so much for so much of the year for so long - surely can't be carelessness with 9 watt LED lamps ... even raising seedlings under up to 70 watts of light 24/7 only adds up to 1.7 units a day ...
When I was working and bathing every Sunday that was 1 kwh per day - weighed against not being home during the day.
Well I'm hopefully on top of it now.

Back
Top Bottom