Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

We’ve just had the dreaded price increase email from Eon and our direct debit is going down. Should we trust this?

Currently we’re paying £127 shortly increasing to £161.
So with the energy payments we’re all getting, it knocks out direct debit down to £94.

We’re also £200 in credit. I don’t know whether to keep it on the higher amount or not to be safe but are they likely to underestimate rather than overestimate our gas use as this is where any increased use would be.
Do you have a smart meter? If not then could it be based on an estimated reading?

Seeing this thread updated has made me go to British Gas to see if there is owt there yet this is what I saw, Seriously that big blue box should just have "You're Screwed" in the biggest font they can find.

1663774858548.png

All it says is my payments are being reviewed. I'm a little over £1K in credit but they only apply debits to my account 6 monthly so I expect that to nosedive very soon.

I was paying about £100 a month at start of year which went up to £160 a month and then was due to go up again in oct to about £270 a month (all figures combined gas and electric). However this latest increase was before the cap was frozen and whatever else truss has announced so i'm not sure if it will go down again? ( fingers crossed it does )

Question to which the answer may be of general use. If you have taken steps to reduce your power usage, maybe including altering the balance between gas and electric, or relying on wood burning more, or reducing central heating timing and target temperatures, or installing solar panels or batteries, or loads of other stuff. If all of that, what is the best way to work out how successful your efforts have been?
A price comparison between this year and last obviously won't work. But usage of gas and electric varies depending on the weather, and may have changed if you have made significant, or even minor, alterations to your system. Or can you only really tell over longer time periods? Is there some factor, weather related, that you could apply to usage statistics to average out standard demand over time? Or something?

You can use degree days figures.

Free UK degree-day data – welcome | VESMA.COM You need to register but it's free and he's a top man.

Companies use them and you can get accurate results - not sure how good they'd be for domestic though.

There's also hours of sunlight figures which I did use to check whether my solar panels were as efficient as they were when installed.
I might give that a try sometime. It looks rather heavy, from a cursory glance, but maybe worth the effort.

I've been meaning to calculate cusum for my electricity figures. Vesma has a page on that, too.

It shows up changes in behaviour - either changes in consumption because of energy saving or increases because of new equipment or faults in equipment that start taking more energy. Purists prefer the control chart but the limits need to be calculated correctly, and cusum's easier to spot historic changes.

Eta - shows changes in behaviour by changes in slope of the line

Last edited:
Still not had an e-mail from OVO about new rates from 1st Oct., and I've logged in online just now as a new billing period starts today, and there isn't anything about it on the website.

My monthly bill for both electric & gas ending yesterday totalled just over £70, taking me just under £570 in credit, despite only paying a DD of £1pm for 3 months now, so imagine my [lack] of surprise to see them wanting to increase my DD to £191, the fuckwits. :facepalm:

z DD Increase 22-9-22-u75.png
Clearly I'll be using more gas over the next 6 months, but I'll be getting the £66-67 monthly credit [£400 total] from the government for those 6 months too, plus I am almost £570 in credit. I use 25% less than the average household, which is subject to the £2,500 ‘Energy Price Guarantee’, so for me that would be £1875 or £156pm, once you factor in my credit and the £400 from the government, that comes down to just £905 or £75pm for the next 12 months, NOT £191pm.

And, that's without things they don't know about, like the 30+ year old boiler being replaced [saving 30%+ on gas use], the new Air-Fryer being used instead of the main oven, and my overall plan of using the heating less as well, my target is to come out of the next six months still with a small credit, whilst continuing to pay just £1pm, which means I am on the lower rates for paying by DD.

So, clearly there's no way I'll be increasing my DD, and if they do, I'll change it back to just £1 and put in a formal complaint, with luck it will end up with the ombudsman again, I could do with another goodwill payment of £100-£150. :) :D

ETA - This should give High Voltage a bloody good laugh too. :D

Last edited:
This is awful for you all :( my gas and electricity combined comes to 800 pounds a year max here in aus, and the government just gave us a 100 pound cost of living credit for electricity!

Watching from overseas, it looks like daylight robbery

Australia has the benefit of exporting gas, and ironically the UK is importing some of it, fucks knows how much it costs for tankers to sail around 14,000 miles to get it here.

Same. I have a direct debit set up for $30 a week electricity and $30 a month gas. We got a $400 rebate a few months ago, and I am currently over $600 in credit. We do have 18 solar panels though which helps a lot, especially as we have to run the pool pump for 2-4 hours a day. I just checked, we pay 27c per kw (about 16p) for electricity and 11.6c per kw for gas (under 7p) You guys are getting robbed! And obviously we don't have to pay for much heating here (although we do in winter, Aussie houses are freezing in winter) but we do have to pay for aircon (although the solar panels mitigate that if you have them).

This whole thing has had me wondering why I never took a fixed rate deal ...
I spotted someone elsewhere online claiming a 1000 percent increase - clearly innumerate - I doubt anyone had a plan going back to when electricity was 3.4 p a unit...
I'm still left wondering where the hell I was using so much electricity ...

My new bill has come in estimated at £4,035 for gas and electric.

It's a bit of a surprise because it was forecast to be more than that for the increase earlier this year.

I'm going to have to guess it's because the new windows, roof and rendering have improved the energy rating of the house so much we have used far less energy in the last year.

This whole thing has had me wondering why I never took a fixed rate deal ...
I spotted someone elsewhere online claiming a 1000 percent increase - clearly innumerate - I doubt anyone had a plan going back to when electricity was 3.4 p a unit...
I'm still left wondering where the hell I was using so much electricity ...
I did wonder about your fridge taking 2 kWh/day. I recently replaced my ancient camping fridge with a new (half height) one for £80 and I measured it at 0.9 kWh/day.

I did wonder about your fridge taking 2 kWh/day. I recently replaced my ancient camping fridge with a new (half height) one for £80 and I measured it at 0.9 kWh/day.
It's been doing my head in - evaporative element - 87 watts - I often catch my fancy thermostat in the off mode, but it always measures the same consumption.
Perhaps I'll try wrapping all my spare insulation around it ... perhaps I'll take the back off and blow out the condenser fins ...

But it's all the rest - It was such a warm spring - I rather wastefully was running 40 to 70 watts of seedling lighting 24/7 when I should have had a timer on it, but that doesn't account for it ...

I was going to ask what your consumption pattern looks like - are you dumping all your spare electricity into hot water or do you have feed-in ?

But it's all the rest - It was such a warm spring - I rather wastefully was running 40 to 70 watts of seedling lighting 24/7 when I should have had a timer on it, but that doesn't account for it ...

I was going to ask what your consumption pattern looks like - are you dumping all your spare electricity into hot water or do you have feed-in ?
I'm checking but I'll swear the new fridge is 45W on for two hours a day. The camping fridge I had was taking quite a bit more and was on for longer, I was a bit shocked, and saving say 100W/day at the exorbitant Ecotricity rates gives a repayment of well within a year. I don't feel too bad about scrapping the old one because I'd had it a good 20 years.

My first 120W (ish) charges the batteries for evening computer use (not sure I'd recommend it on the whole but has been interesting exercise), along with computer and basic house stuff, the next 300W when it's sunny goes to dehumidifier in downstairs room. Rest goes to heat water as you say plus anything over gets exported at 4p/unit.

gentlegreen, my 20+ year old fridge/freezer uses under 2kw a day, so I am surprised a little camping fridge uses more.

I should lower the thermostat temperature (or perhaps fit one of my electronic ones ?) so I don't need to add any cold water to bring it to 40 degrees C.

For combi boilers, the minimum recommended output temperature for thot water is between 50 °C and 60 °C, or 60 °C if you are heating a tank, otherwise bacteria responsible for Legionnaires’ Disease can thrive and multiply, it's a potentially fatal lung infection spread through the inhalation of water particles.

gentlegreen, my 20+ year old fridge/freezer uses under 2kw a day, so I am surprised a little camping fridge uses more.
I'm not - I don't think camping fridges are generally designed for good insulation, or efficiency. I suspect that a better option might be a small, fairly modern, conventional fridge - eg some kind of under-counter job.

And yeah, 40C is a pretty perfect petri dish temperature for all kinds of naughtiness.

I'd thought the same as gentlegreen (on the hot water front, at least) - I spend a LOT of money heating a tank of water every night, most of which radiates back into the loft. I've put a different time switch on, now, and run it for about 2hours/night instead of the 5 it was on for before, and it gives me enough hot water for my needs. At about 55C.

Last edited:
I'm not - I don't think camping fridges are generally designed for good insulation, or efficiency. I suspect that a better option might be a small, fairly modern, conventional fridge - eg some kind of under-counter job.
This is only a stop-gap - hopefully I will find a passive alternative in about a month's time when it's only sprouts and kale I'm keeping.
I will see what I can do about insulating it.
Where it's located is usually 5 degrees above outside temps - maybe I'll move it downstairs - but that would be a bit inconvenient.
Perhaps I will repurpose a mini greenhouse ...

This is only a stop-gap - hopefully I will find a passive alternative in about a month's time when it's only sprouts and kale I'm keeping.
I will see what I can do about insulating it.
Where it's located is usually 5 degrees above outside temps - maybe I'll move it downstairs - but that would be a bit inconvenient.
Perhaps I will repurpose a mini greenhouse ...
You sure freecycling a fridge wouldn't be an easier option all round?

You sure freecycling a fridge wouldn't be an easier option all round?
I would feel guilty getting a fridge for free... and I don't have transport.
I only started using this camping fridge because people here prompted me to get the thing out last year and I have often had things in it that didn't warrant the electricity.
At the moment it's costing me 50p a day to keep salad fresh in between supermarket visits - part of my grand plan was to be picking it fresh ... apart from the environmental and geopolitical dimensions ...
I used to treat the supermarket as my fridge - one of them is only 100 metres from my front door - though Aldi is a bit farther.
Retirement and covid has skewed things somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom