Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

My assumption is that even if we were able to strip away the vulgarities and extreme distortions and profiteering of the markets, there would still be significant price fluctuations that reflect legitimate, very large issues with the practical reality of supply and demand.
Trying to replace the big band of Russian gas with LNG shipments and increased storage and national production (new drilling, fracking, biomethane). It'll take a few years.
(System Development Map - Gas Infrastructure Europe)
1662459562605.png

Attachments

• 1662459542053.png
    1662459542053.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 2
Now that Jacob Rees-Mogg has been given Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy we know how the govt are going to keep people warm this winter. Workhouses :hmm:

Now that Jacob Rees-Mogg has been given Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy we know how the govt are going to keep people warm this winter. Workhouses :hmm:
Qualifying adults better make the most of Lambeth Hospital this winter - demolition is scheduled for next spring. Only 160 beds available.

I am considering reviving my campaign to embarrass the SLAM management by standing for the vacancy as a public governor to these asset strippers

Qualifying adults better make the most of Lambeth Hospital this winter - demolition is scheduled for next spring. Only 160 beds available.

I am considering reviving my campaign to embarrass the SLAM management by standing for the vacancy as a public governor to these asset strippers
I wonder who the building contractors are? Tory donors, no doubt.

I wonder who the building contractors are? Tory donors, no doubt.
There are many facets of this programme Capital Projects and Modernisation Programme - South London and Maudsley
The developers are always referred to as "our partners" PFI - but in the coset,
We'll knock down your 25 year old mental hospital and build yuppy flays - in return you grant us the right to change your light bulbs for £100 a go
Lambeth Council's PFI town hall extension is a model of transparency compared with this.

Women and children down coal mines and kids sweeping chimneys etc.

So capped at £2500, minus the £150 off council tax we've already had & the £400 off bills this winter, in real terms that's £1950, so it's £673 up on the pre-April price cap of £1,277, or an increase of around £13 per week.

Then there's still the extra help for groups like pensioners and those on tax credits & various benefits.

I guess that was about as good as I expected, TBH.

Nice to know that the couple in the village living in the £4m hotel that they converted to their personal home will be getting the massive subsidies they so clearly deserve to heat their modest home for the next two years.

Honestly, there's no pleasing you people. Lovely Liz has just saved us all. Some people seem to expect something for nothing.* And just imagine would would have happened if that monster Corbyn had got in! <sings Rule Brittania>

*Actually something I overheard at work. I've not been here long, so I went to lunch instead.

A £2500 price cap using the OFGEM system would have seen a gas price of 9.3p and electricity at 37p

However they're now going to cap the electricity price more than the gas:

The time switch on my hot water cylinder could only set "on" periods with a minimum of about 4 hours, which was a pain, as I end up heating more water than I need. So I replaced it yesterday with a wifi-controlled water heater switch, which I can switch off and on with much finer granularity. Which means I can run it for, say, 2 hours, during Economy 7 time, to heat all the water I need for a day. Given that the 3.5kW water heater is my biggest power use case, I am hoping that this will yield a significant reduction in my power usage.

Damn it. It's now that time of year where it's cheaper to run the towel rail for 20 minutes at 600W than to heat the entire goddamn house just to have towels that aren't damp from yesterday. I realise it's peanuts per day, but it adds up over the year.

Not posted in a while and I will try to restrict myself to things other might actually find useful ...

Others may call my lifestyle masochistic, but I would live this way no matter how wealthy I was - except that I would live in a better-insulated home and have solar power and perhaps even a wind turbine. (I'm hoping to do that in any case).
Apart from the cost, there are environmental and geopolitical factors.
I fully acknowledge that it will be very different for people who don't live alone or who are not as lucky as I am with regards health and fitness and I realise how cruel it is when the wealthy are rubbing it in our faces.

A couple of weeks ago, before the vile Tories kindly loaned us our own money, I found myself faced with an electricity bill I had become accustomed-to like a frog in a saucepan, first doubling and then tripling - and then there was the kettle "advice" and the rest...
So I finally bought a plug-in energy meter and set to working out where I was wasting electricity... I disconnected an inefficient 12 volt PSU and a 4 port ethernet switch I didn't need ...

Fridge - 2kwh per day
PC - 1.5 to 2 - acts as heating in winter.
cooking total - 0.6 :-

tea - 0.43 (boiled spuds and sauteed veggies from scratch)
breakfast (coffee and toast) - 0.09 (includes heat wasted by steel kettle and 2-slice toaster)
bread baking 0.355 / 6 = 0.06

I happily bathe at the basin with cold water and only heat water for a bath/laundry about once a month and I should lower the thermostat temperature (or perhaps fit one of my electronic ones ?) so I don't need to add any cold water to bring it to 40 degrees C. Being about 3KW, that probably accounts for between 6 and 9 kwh over 30 days = 0.25 kwh

Even adding a fairly sophisticated thermostat to my tiny camping fridge set to 10 degrees with generous hysteresis and switch-on delay, I can't get the usage down - but apparently even good modern fridges average 1.4 - so I will be consciously switching to alternative methods of storing my food once it gets colder - since I can't see myself reclaiming the 87 watts to heat my room ...

thermostat.jpg

Of course there is heating to be factored-in for the winter months ahead, but last winter I saved several KWH over previous years thanks to slippers and a fleece waistcoat and I'm seriously considering electrically-heated clothing to substantially improve on this and hopefully see me doing work around the house and garden. (I have a stash of reclaimed 18650 cells).

My only heating last winter was a small fan-heater under my bench/desk and I should fit a better thermostat to this (perhaps under my clothing rather than in the room ?)

I could save even more if I went out for serious exercise in the evenings in place of my modest daily park walk - to replace my cycle commutes that used to see me cooling-off shirtless in 13 degrees C.

Perversely, at my recent yearly average consumption, once the £400 is factored-in I will be paying slightly less over 12 months.

energysmall2.png

Perhaps due to my focussing on it, I have recently been using less than I did last year - though this chart is misleading because of varying sampling intervals.

yearenergycropped.png

Last edited:
We’ve just had the dreaded price increase email from Eon and our direct debit is going down. Should we trust this?

Currently we’re paying £127 shortly increasing to £161.
So with the energy payments we’re all getting, it knocks out direct debit down to £94.

We’re also £200 in credit. I don’t know whether to keep it on the higher amount or not to be safe but are they likely to underestimate rather than overestimate our gas use as this is where any increased use would be.

Eon are knocking it off your bill then? British Gas are apparently are going to just pay it into our accounts a few days after they take the DD's. I suppose they've been told it's up to them how they pay the money out to the plebs

Back
Top Bottom