Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Blimey, we're importing Australian gas now, what a weird fucked-up situation.

I wasnt that surprised because its happened before. Once north sea gas production had gone past its peak and declined, coupled with the UK deciding to make LNG an important part of its gas plans, and deciding not to bother maintaining a healthy gas storage capacity, this sort of thing was expected. And periods of certain market conditions will influence which countries we get LNG supplies from. And I believe Australia is one of the very major LNG exporters, along with Qatar and the USA.

For example here is an article from 2009 discussing the first ever Australian LNG cargo to have the UK as its destination. On that occasion the market conditions which enabled it were a reduction of demand from the Asian nations which were the usual customers for Australian LNG. UPDATE 1-Australian LNG cargoes head to UK, France in May

Articles about the Australia shipment we've received in August are widely reporting that its the first time we've received any LNG from Australia since 2016. I havent yet established why we stopped gettting LNG from them in the intervening period, but it might be that the USA started its own LNG shipments in 2016 and so we were getting all our LNG from USA and Qatar during that period.

I cant say I'm overjoyed about all this stuff, I dont think our energy situation is very secure, and a lot of the planning was based on certain assumptions about globalisation that are increasingly at odds with the way this century is progressing in practice. I'd have preferred us to adopt an approach that drank less market-based kool aid, one that placed more emphasis on gas storage and also an earlier and quicker transition away from gas once our own production went past its peak. And I'll probably grumble for the rest of my life that we squandered lots of opportunities to start building housing stock that was actually fit for the circumstances of the future much earlier.

Here is an example of why a global market based approach to securing supplies when needed can go wrong. On its own this sort of situation doesnt break things, so this article can still feature reassuring noises about global supplies not being badly affected. But its not so hard to imagine that when you end up with lots of these sorts of situations all over the place at the same time, UK planning assumptions can start to end up looking at odds with reality.

Australia should tighten measures to curb natural gas exports from one of the world’s biggest suppliers to avoid a domestic fuel crunch, according to the nation’s competition watchdog.

Here is an example from earlier this year of the sort of pressures the system is under and dramatic changes to supply destinations that are being seen:

Asia has been the top destination for American LNG cargoes since the United States began shipments in 2016. South Korea has accounted for 14.4 percent of U.S. LNG exports since that time, followed by Japan (10.5 percent) and China (8.7 percent), according to Energy Department figures.

But recent months have seen dramatic changes in LNG flows. Gas shipments to China, Japan and Korea were down 11 percent, 14 percent and 7 percent, respectively, in the first quarter compared with the same time last year, said Valery Chow, an analyst who tracks the industry at Wood Mackenzie.
And here is a UK government document from June which describes the 2021 LNG picture, including:

In 2021, UK LNG imports fell in comparison with those recorded in 2020 as prices reached record highs. LNG accounted for 17 per cent of the gas supplied to the UK through production and imports, down from 22 per cent in 2020.

The UK was the third largest LNG importer in Europe in 2021. Qatar was the largest import source to the UK, accounting for 39 per cent of LNG imports, with a further quarter of imports coming from the USA. Increased Asian demand also led the UK to source cargoes from further afield, for example Peru.
That document is a reasonable primer if you are interested in the background, who the global LNG producers are, etc.

Last edited:
That last document I mentioned also has some interesting graphs in it, such as the following one.

As you can see the decline in domestic gas production was not subtle, and a combination of pipelines, LNG and reduction in demand was used to compensate.

Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 15.33.jpg

Private Eye was highlighting gas and energy issues as far back as 2015 if I remember rightly.

We’ve been a couple of weeks from fucking disaster for a while now and with the shock of the Ukrainian war hitting globally we are fucked.

If you look at the graphs - the exposure started to get risky when demand stopped falling.

Is that why they sold off the gas holders for scrap and built yuppy flats?

Yes. Although outside of central London most of the land they used to occupy has been left derelict.

And I actually quite like those gasometer flats behind St Pancreas :oops:

Yes. Although outside of central London most of the land they used to occupy has been left derelict.

And I actually quite like those gasometer flats behind St Pancreas :oops:
I liked the title of this exhibition at The Gasworks gallery (The Oval SE11) that I applied for a job there.
Completely inappropriate of course - I was an engineer retrained as a book-keeper.
Part of the job was assessing "Commonwealth" artists - in situ - for grants.
I expect they thought Uncle Bob (Mugabe) might take exception to me!

yes, why do they not quote figures in kWh?

Or something useful that people know like how much they pay each month*. I have no idea what I was paying per kWh or how many I use and that doesn't cover standing charges.

*no, not everyone pays by monthly dd but lots do.

Do they even still charge you less for overnight electric anymore? Not an option in a flat this size anyway unless I want to listen to the washing machine shake the room at 3am.
I'm on an economy 7 tariff, but the washing machine uses little enough power that it's not worth the bother.

What can I do without?

I suppose I will always need the fridge.

Lights I can cut right down on.

Need the computer a bit but could cut down.

The cooker and microwave are electric, hmm .. got to eat ..

Washing machine I am already using at a minimum.

What can I do without?

Heat Bro you need to eat more than you need to heat so off with the heating maybe burn the odd book once in a while (seriously on what fucking planet are these people?)
for a special treat.

What can I do without?

In my household at least, heating and cooking are by far the biggest power draws with the fridge and washing machine being in the middle ground. The gas boiler itself uses about 200W when the central heating is on for pumping the water about. The TV uses about 70W when it's on, the washing machine uses about 0.6-0.7kWh for a 40deg wash, depending on the ambient temperature. Next on my list to replace is the fridge since it's not a very efficient model, but as it's integrated in to the crappy fitted kitchen it'd essentially mean replacing the whole kaboodle. The kettle pulls nearly 3kW by itself so of course the old adage of only boiling the amount you need helps (and if you're making tea you can get away with heating to 90 or 80), as does switching off the kettle once you can see/hear it boiling, rather than waiting for it to do so automatically.

If you've not done so already and are in a position to do so, replacing CFL lightbulbs with LED equivalents pays for itself in a few months (depending on your lighting usage of course). My kitchen and bathroom were each rigged out about nine with halogen spots each, each one consuming 50-60W (and pumping out a shitload of heat which mostly ended up in the loft); LED replacements use 5W each (and provide a more even light so I've even unscrewed a couple). ROI on that was about a couple of weeks, years ago.

Think it was mentioned in the smart meter thread - I don't have one (don't see the point), but have used plug power monitors and a current clamp since before smart meters were a thing to get a fair idea of the power used throughout the house. Probably the only thing we can realistically cut down on that'll make any amount of difference is the amount of cooking we do, but there's already a lot of people for whom hot meals are becoming an increasingly rare "luxury".

Of course, the above is all fairly standard obvious household efficiency fare. To make a real different what you should probably start doing is switch to supermarket's own-brand caviar and champagne, stop buying those £50 avocado lattes, and dial down the heating in the swimming pool to 25deg; then you'll have oodles of spare money for the energy companies' offshore accounts.

What can I do without?

What’s your income?

Probably the only thing we can realistically cut down on that'll make any amount of difference is the amount of cooking we do, but there's already a lot of people for whom hot meals are becoming an increasingly rare "luxury".
I remember the power going of one Xmas dinner time. Fortunately the turkey was cooked. Mum used the gas poker in the front room to finish off cooking something in a pan while dad went into the garden and made a fire and finished something else off in pans. :)

Heat Bro you need to eat more than you need to heat so off with the heating maybe burn the odd book once in a while (seriously on what fucking planet are these people?)
for a special treat.
I only rarely turn the heating on, it is very expensive.
Main CH is gas but I have some electric heaters.
The house is very under insulated to I just heat the air above me.
I tend just to put on more clothes.

There must be a way to turn the tables.

Gas cooker upstairs, I only use it for the boiler to heat the shower. A shower can't use much gas.

A shower can't use much gas.

There's a lot of variation here dependent on a variety of factors (temperature of the incoming water being the biggest for me, but you also need to find out how much water your shower head puts out per minute) but for the sake of argument a 10-minute shower uses about 6kWh to heat the water which I think works out to about 50 or 60p for me. Last I looked an electric shower was at least twice that.

Shower heat exchangers can help make use of a lot of the waste heat instead of it going literally down the drain, but they're comparatively rare and difficult to retrofit - I think I've only seen one in germany and the netherlands.

That doesn't make sense, if they were paying £130 in Feb., plus 54% increase in April, they would be paying £200 now, +80% in Oct. takes it to £360.

My first thought was perhaps they came off a fixed price deal in March, but that doesn't work, because it would have had to be a deal offering over half price bills, i.e. even if you start at £260 in Feb., it would still be only be £400 now, or, they were under paying by over half back in Feb., which seems unlikely. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom